'Midnight Hawks' BAe Hawk Mk51

This had been in the stash for ages; the Airfix 'Design a Hawk' boxing picked up cheap, Midnight Hawks decals from a previous kit, also a knockdown PE kit from Hannants(Eduard made I believe}......what's not to like??

!!!LOADS!!!

• Firstly the kit is the early tool Airfix....one piece canopy, so won't see lovely PE cockpit anyway :angry:
  • I think the PE was made for the newer mould it was so hard to fit(gave up on most of it)
  • New aerials to build/fit and no pylons or smoke gennies.
  • Screwed up the det cord lines in the canopy(again...how do you paint these without taking the paint off later?)

Paints were Tamiya XF-61 dark Green with a drop of black and Vallejo MA 010 interior green.

So slightly dissapointed by this build but here it is anyway, a 'problem shared' and all that !!

DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg

DSC_0037.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

Edited by Saddler
links moved
  • Like 14

I like, especially in that scheme, it really suits the Hawk, as your modelling shows so well. I've a couple of these early kits in stock & admit to leaving them there as I haven't a clue how to do the det cord & a Hawk without it just doesn't look right imho. :unsure:

Steve.

I read somewhere that you can basically brush some light grey acrylic paint into the recesses, leave it to dry and scrape off. In theory the paint in the recesses should stay put. Unfortunately it doesn't 🤔

2 hours ago, Saddler said:

I read somewhere that you can basically brush some light grey acrylic paint into the recesses, leave it to dry and scrape off. In theory the paint in the recesses should stay put. Unfortunately it doesn't 🤔

I went with: 

1. Dip canopy in future
  2. Brush light grey enamel into the det cord recesses
  3. Wipe off excess with white spirit

Worked ok, although I can't seem to locate the photos of my finished build to prove it!