RLM Alternatives

Crossiant Oliver

Hello,

I’m about to paint my Airfix ME-262, and I was wondering if there were alternatives for RLM 76 and RLM 83. I don’t need it to be 100 percent accurate to the RLM colors, I just want something close to them. If anyone can give me the closest colors to the RLM colors in humbrol. For example, is Humbrol 30 close to RLM 83? 

H30 is not a good match to RLM83, being too light and too blue.  Humbrol's own RLM83 is out of stock, in the links above, but it may be found in your local shop or elsewhere online.

If you don't care too much, stick a bit of black into H30 and use that.  Similarly a bit of blue into H64 for RLM76.  Not that I'd actually recommend such an approach of course; it's better to buy Colourcoats or Xtracolour.

Edited by Graham Boak

Mission Models acrylic paints also have good matches for the RLM colours if you don't want to go with enamels. As well as discounted price on the paints I am also offering free P&P on Mission Models paint at the moment, just saying :)  

https://www.blackmikemodels.co.uk/products/mission-models-mmp-051-rlm76-lichtblau-ww2-luftwaffe-acrylic-paint-1oz-30ml

https://www.blackmikemodels.co.uk/products/mission-models-mmp-054-rlm83-dunkelgrun-ww2-luftwaffe-acrylic-paint-1oz-30ml

Duncan B

Best option would be to buy Xtracrylix.

However, I understand where you're coming from because Humbrol is still relatively easy to find locally in some shops. I have built up a log of what I personally consider Humbrol matches for various RLM colours.

RLM 76 - try Humbrol 127. This is possibly not quite blue enough but given you're doing a late war bird with all the paint supply and quality issues that come with it, this should be fine.

RLM 83 - this one's tricky because I've seen multiple interpretations as to whether 82 or 83 was the darker colour. For late war German camouflage, I don't match the individual colours but rather the combination according to what produces the right amount of contrast. So what's the second upper surface colour in the scheme you're planning? Depending on that, RLM 83 can be matched by Humbrols 116, 117 or 163.

EDIT: I tried Humbrol's own RLM range (24x - 25x) in Enamels in the past and found them lacking. Awkward to paint with and colours not looking as expected. Humbrol 247 in particular was too bright and blue, closer to RLM 65 than 76 in my opinion. The acrylics may be better but I decided not to risk them.

Edited by Vlad
  • Like 1

CO,  I have read good reviews about the Mission Models paint range; they are available here in the USA from Micro-Mark; the website is www.micro-mark.com. I can't say as to how close they are to the RLM standard. Testors Model Master II range of RLM colors should be available in various hobby and some hardware stores in the L.A. area. The suggestions by Graham and Vlad may work fine for you as well.

Joe