1/48 Mosquito XVIII - TseTse

I'm starting the weathering on my 1/48 Airfix Mossie converted to a Tse Tse -  I'm doing the oil pinwash prior to decaling so that I can do the pastel dusting after the first flat coat. We'll see how that works.

Image22

Image20

Image21

Edited by Tail-Dragon
added scale
  • Like 11

Well, I've got the Mossie markings on, a mix of Aeromaster, Barracuda stencils, and masking and spraying (the red/white "O").  After a flat coat will come the pastels ...

Image32

I think the "O" came out rather well ...

TseTse

Image33

Image31

• Like 9

That is looking brilliant. I like this scheme & woud be keen to do it in 1/72. I'm not convinced from the photos I've seen including the one you show above, that the code letter had the white outline but all credit for how yours has come out. Unless I can find a shot that shows it conclusively, I think mine will get a red code & be grateful. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

Well, I think I'm about ready to call this one done. The old Airfix kits can build up rather well despite being 38 years old!  I'll post more photo's over on "Ready for inspection" later,  here's some for now, hope you like.

Colin

Image5

Image2

Image11

Image4

• Like 12

very neat Coilin

but I'm intrugued by the choice of PRU Blue (?)  for the nose,   I can see it's a different colour in the pics,  but the blue seems an odd choice?    Or is there a reference to this colour being used?

38 minutes ago, Bedders said:

Like Steve, I think I need one in 1/72... Put it on the list Justin!

You are probably aware,  but the 1970's era 72nd Airfix Mosquto had  the XVIII as an option,  it's a separate nose/undercowling,   so these bits are out there is spares box land...

cheers

T

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

You are probably aware,  but the 1970's era 72nd Airfix Mosquto had  the XVIII as an option,  it's a separate nose/undercowling,   so these bits are out there is spares box land...

Troy, how could you cast into doubt my credentials as a bona fide modeller by even suggesting that I don't have Airfix Mosquito bits in my spares box? True, one or two propeller blades might look a bit ropey and there are always odd numbers of exhaust stacks, but I do my best to find them. I suppose the question is whether to do an Airfix kit properly this time, or use the Tamiya as the base? 😉

J

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

very neat Coilin

but I'm intrugued by the choice of PRU Blue (?)  for the nose,   I can see it's a different colour in the pics,  but the blue seems an odd choice?    Or is there a reference to this colour being used?

cheers

T

Actually, it's not PRU blue (that illusion is probably due to my lighting)  I used Tamiya's Ocean Grey. In the photo's the Mossie is in an Intruder scheme (it was built up from an existing FB VI) of Sea Grey Medium/Dark green, but the modified sections were a darker colour and I was guessing at Ocean Grey.

By the way, it's the 1980's issue of the 1/48 Mosquito, not a 1/72 kit.

2 hours ago, Tail-Dragon said:

Actually, it's not PRU blue (that illusion is probably due to my lighting)  I used Tamiya's Ocean Grey. In the photo's the Mossie is in an Intruder scheme (it was built up from an existing FB VI) of Sea Grey Medium/Dark green, but the modified sections were a darker colour and I was guessing at Ocean Grey.

By the way, it's the 1980's issue of the 1/48 Mosquito, not a 1/72 kit.

OK,  Ocean Grey,  that makes much more sense!  

It's a lighting issue,  and also why I put "PRU Blue(?)" as that's what  it  appeared from the  pics while everything else looked good.

I know it's the  48th  kit,  I only mentioned 72nd as other members did,  and perhaps others may not know that the old Airfix  kit has the bits.

Good  to see the old kit scrubb up so well too.

cheers

T

7 hours ago, Bedders said:

Gorgeous - really nice conversion. Like Steve, I think I need one in 1/72... Put it on the list Justin!

J

Hasegawa released a limited edition with resin upgrades. I was fortunate to pick one up before the disappeared. One's up for trade on Ebay as below

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hasegawa-1-72-DeHavilland-Mosquito-Mk18-Anti-Ship-Attacker-Model-Kit-02024/232652760099?epid=16012148472&hash=item362b2f6423:g:KQcAAOSwqbxaQ76r

Edited by Tempestwulf
  • Like 1

Very smart looking Mossie, I'll be doing the 1/48 Airfix FB.VI rendition for the Classic Airfix GB fairly soon and will hoping for a finish as good as this. Great stuff!