Revell JU88 A-4, Sicily, 1/48

Calling this one done. Was quite a big struggle for me at times... Mainly due to it's size alone. I broke off almost all the guns during the painting...

All in all I really enjoyed the kit. The interior is nicely detailed, as are the engines. I had some real issues with getting the engines lined up inside the nacelles, but I think it just about turned out OK. 

The 4 colour paint job was a big jump for me - and due to my using Belton rattle cans (which come in an amazing variety of colours - but can be very thick) some of the surface details were lost under coats. I am quite happy with how the camo looks, but on reflection would have liked to make the sand / sky blotches a little more intricate. 

I used the box decals - with larger markings I sanded them a bit before applying them, which made it easier to chip at them with a sharp blade once microsol was on. Part of me wishes I had bought aftermarket decals for the actual unit... 

Was largely built OOB except for some wiring added to the gear, and some scratched details for the cockpit... I mainly enjoyed experimenting with varying acrylic shades on the interior and legs... 

WIP thread is here for those interested in my shambolic work along the way! 

Thanks for looking! 

Bruce

eC8uHD0.jpg

zmo1uyI.jpg

sRO2qYT.jpg

KVl8EUg.jpg

c2Jl3lH.jpg

PW0oUGK.jpg

• Like 72

17 hours ago, Niknak said:

ju 88,with an   unusual scheme. Very nice

17 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Very nicely done. I haven't seen that scheme before.

Thanks both, I hadn't seen the scheme before either until I stumbled across a build of the Dragon JU88 on imodeler... Strange but nice I think! 

15 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

That sir is a Beautiful 88 :goodjob: ... I really enjoyed your build as well. 

Thanks very much! 

12 hours ago, RMCS said:

Love this scheme. Great build

Thank you too! 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, beastieboy said:

The model and paint scheme look fantastic, i can imagine it was quite a tricky build and paint job but the end result looks great

Thank you, it certainly had chalenges along the way. Some expected - like the size, and others less so - like the build up of paint layers. 

Thanks again,

Bruce

Oh, that is a rather interesting paint scheme, and very well executed!

Breaking off the defense guns is a very common problem as they need to be attached from the inside -

one possible solution is to cut all protruding barrels off, put each one in a small jar, with a reminder where they should be re-attached ("front", "backside right", etc), and then carefully fix them at the end of the build & paint job.

If you deepen the respective holes with a fine drill, they will go back in place without too much problems.

• Like 1

On 18/02/2018 at 10:25 AM, Red Dot said:

that looks really good. I like the weathering and worn paint effect

Andy

Thanks Andy  -  some of the wear is intentional - some of it less so... These cans come out thick and slow, meaning that you get a bit of speckling effect around the edge of the sand / blue areas... Which in this case is helpful, but is sometimes most annoying! 

Thanks again,

Bruce

On 18/02/2018 at 12:54 PM, Smithy said:

That's really lovely and a very attractive camo scheme. I especially enjoyed it as one of my family shot down a Ju88 off the coast of Sicily ^_^

Wow! That's exciting. I did stumble across some interesting info on the Ju88 squadrons along the way. Some interesting info out there... 

Thanks! 

13 hours ago, Roman Schilhart said:

Oh, that is a rather interesting paint scheme, and very well executed!

Breaking off the defense guns is a very common problem as they need to be attached from the inside -

one possible solution is to cut all protruding barrels off, put each one in a small jar, with a reminder where they should be re-attached ("front", "backside right", etc), and then carefully fix them at the end of the build & paint job.

If you deepen the respective holes with a fine drill, they will go back in place without too much problems.

That's a great idea! Thanks Roman. In this case the kit luckily came with about 15 guns of various sorts - so I was able to make a similar arangement after the fact. But next time I will be taking your route! 

Thanks for the tip! 

• 5 months later...