Hawker Sea Fury FB.11 Korea 1951 - Trumpeter 1/48

lovely modelling,  great photography   .....but

But a classic example of modelling trends,  in this case,  recessed rivets and too  much preshading, and given  the many comments on the finish above...

I appreciate the rivets are a 'feature' of the Trumpeter kit...., and  the actual craftsmanship here is superb,   but it  doesnt work for me sorry.

Maybe a  much lighter wash?    Possibly also the effect of close up photography and /or lighting...

I mention this Jurek  as you are  a very skilled modeller,  all  the other work I have seen of yours has been very impressive  and your Firefly here

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235034015-fairey-firefly-fr-mk5-korea-1951-sphobby-148/&tab=comments#comment-2956279

looks much better,  as can be  in seen in the first image with the Firefly behind, it is a much better replica.

so, compare

H8T7bfBh.jpg

Sea Fury's do not look quilted,  and are flush riveted....

sea-fury.jpg

Sea_Fury_WM490.jpg

from http://www.adf-gallery.com.au/gallery/Sea-Fury

which has some more period colour

DuQwjBuh.jpg

Hope  of use for others with  a new Sea Fury  available,  shot shot tails and lak of gunsight notwitstanding....

• Like 2

Troy, before you do too much critiquing about others builds (whether your critiques are right or wrong) it might help if you actually posted some of your builds. As far as I can ascertain from the search function you've posted no builds in 10 years on Britmodeller apart from painting a 1/32 plastic Airfix Aussie soldier. It's easy to critique other's builds but it holds a lot more water if you're willing to put your builds in "harms way" as well. I just think if you're going to throw stones about others modelling you should at least have your builds up for the same. Sauces and geese and all that.

• Like 1

I,m not going to get embroiled in an argument about the finish of the above kit personally I love it I think models are a blank canvass of whatever the 

individual modeller makes it,I like Trumpeter kit's  wart's an' all put it in front of Joe public and he/she would rave about  this one,I'm immpressed but

have to back Troy's comment's also he's helped me over the year's and critiqued my work also there are a lot of folk here that don't display their work

but their presence  certainly enriches the site  let's not fall out folk's.

I don't have any bother with members contributing their knowledge to the research and history sub fora but I really believe once you get into critiquing other members' builds then you really should have your own builds out there as well. If you're going to shoot down other people's finished models be it for modeling skills or accuracy then it's only fair that you're willing to put your own builds on the line for the same treatment.

I only highlighted Troy's comment as he seems to contribute enormous amounts to the WWII sub forum but I thought it unfair that he poo-pooed Jurek's fantastically built model when all he has ever posted here at Britmodeller in terms of the "Ready for Inspection" section was one painted 1/32 model soldier.

• Like 2

Well, the truth is that I am a supporter of the most faithful showing of the original ... but such modeling is dull, flat and does not show surface details. On the one hand I would like to make faithful copies and on the other I would like to have a large and interesting collection. As a result of this second I do fast and a lot, but based on aftermarket sets not scratch work. Many years ago I wanted to (for instatce) rescribing all Frog, make vacu and scratch all interior. 

Back to the topic... Trumpy Sea Fury is typicaly chinese kit. Good for spanish baroque modeling school, but falce. Rivets like bullet holes etc. ....Soo... rivets - in the past, I would put them on and make new, but now.....

BTW wash - I used colour about Neutral Gray, but a dark effect is the result black baseing (and I don't like it too much)

Edited by Jurek Greinert
  • Like 3

I'm not going to comment on accuracy or weathering  as I have a long association with the Sea Fury (and the Firebox)

and that would be somewhat unfair to pass judgement.

What I will say is the modeller has made a first class build out of an utter pig of a kit.

Well done that man.

• Like 4

Hi Jurek - From what I've read online the Trumpeter Sea Fury has a few short comings but you have turned this one into an impressive model - you see all sorts of weathering on models posted online and in the end I guess it is a personal choice how you weather it

CJP

Edited by CJP
  • Like 1

Jurek’s build is nice for a couple of reasons IMHO.

It’s well built and nicely painted.

It has the temerity to look good dispite being a Trumpeter kit displayed in the middle of ‘Airfix season’ for the 1/48 Sea Fury.

All Models are subject to a degree of subjectivity when viewed by other people.

Anyone who posts up a build deserves kudos for sharing what they have done and inviting feedback and critique on it. On forums that critique and feedback can come from all sorts of folk. As the builder of the model you ultimately are the arbiter of the feedback you get and who’s feedback you value. 

Its not really more more complex than that.

• Like 1

Hi Jurek - I found this photo of Sea Fury 130/T on HMS Theseus in the From The Cockpit book No12 - it shows very heavy weathering on top of the wings but hard to see how the fuselage is weathered

IMG_6473.jpg

CJP

1 hour ago, CJP said:

Hi Jurek - I found this photo of Sea Fury 130/T on HMS Theseus in the From The Cockpit book No12 - it shows very heavy weathering on top of the wings but hard to see how the fuselage is weathered

IMG_6473.jpg

CJP

I see another problem (weathering is peace of cake - planes get dirty with time) Look on stripes possition and font 130/T - size and type.....

But I have another photos from Warpaint: 

9UJZab9h.jpg

Edited by Jurek Greinert

Jurek - I think that the stripes, serial font and rudder "T" varied with replacement Sea Fury aircraft as airframes were damaged in deck landing accidents etc - the smaller T and 130 font look good on your model

CJP

Edited by CJP
text