SBD-3 tail G Symbols/stripes

Tempestwulf

Hi Team

Am building the 1/72 Hasegawa SBD-3 atm and onto the painting stage and was planning to make a Coral Sea era one. I'm using SBD Dauntless Units of World War 2 by Osprey as reference but am confused by the angled white stripe on the forward vertical stab. What's the basis of it, is it carrier specific or Squadron specific? The book shows three planes with the single stripe from the Lexington, Saratoga & Yorktown. Twin stipes for two others from Enterprise.

Can anyone clear this up for me?

Due to an over abundance of spare decals from other sheets I'm not building a specific plane. Though if anyone has the book can they shed light on who was the pilot of the #20 color plate with the three kill markings? That one's very tempting.  It's BuNo 03315 Black 16 of Scouting 71 on USS Wasp (CV7) August 1942.

12 minutes ago, Tempestwulf said:

am confused by the angled white stripe on the forward vertical stab. What's the basis of it, is it carrier specific or Squadron specific? The book shows three planes with the single stripe from the Lexington, Saratoga & Yorktown. Twin stipes for two others from Enterprise.

Can anyone clear this up for me?

http://www.pmcn.de/English/USN Markings II/USN Markings II.htm

scroll down to section on G-Symbols

HTH

• Like 1

The angled stripe, which was applied only to the LH side of the fin, was for the LSO (Landing Signals Officer) so he could judge whether or not a landing aircraft was at the correct angle of attack- if the angle was correct, the stripe would be aligned with the leading edge of the wing. The LSO was stationed on the port side of the deck, so could only see the LH side of the aircraft as it made its approach. I'm just guessing that the number of stripes somehow was used to identify the carrier to which the aircraft was assigned. It was commonly seen on SBD's, SB2C's, and TBF's and was discontinued at some point in 1942.

Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1