Lancaster configurations

ModellerUK

Hello all, 

A quick question about the configuration of the Lancaster B1 for take off. 

My diorama is going to be a Lancaster B1 (Airfix 1/72) getting prepped for take off with 2/3 of 4 engines running. 

Now the questions, does anyone know the starting sequence for the engines (order of start)? Also did the Lancaster use it’s landing flaps for take off? I plan to have the bomb bay doors open too, will this look un-natural for start up?

Finally are there any other configurations that we’re adhered to for start up/take off such as manchine gun positions? I can’t find many pictures on the internet.

any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks 

Hi

try a seach for the film

night bombers 

it will probably  tell you all you want to know 

and its great ww2 footage :) 

below a quick search found an extract

but somewhere the whole film was online 

cheers

jerry

• Like 1

From memory the start sequence is 3, 4, 2, 1.  Number 3 is always started first as it pressurises the pneumatic system for brakes and radiator shutter operation.  Number 4 is then started so that ground crew aren’t wandering back and forth past rotating props too often.  The same applies on the other side of the aeroplane, working inboard to outboard.  

I’ve seen photos of Lancaster’s with bomb doors and flaps down during start up: I think the bomb doors would be left open to allow access to bomb-fusing links and arming pins (probably about the last job before taxying out).  For take-off I think a maximum of 250 of flap would be used, but I need to check.  Turrets would normally be left fore-and-aft until all engines were running as each turret drew its hydraulic power from a different engine.

Thanks @brewerjerry, I’ve just spotted your reply so I’m off for a quick viewing thereof.👍

• Like 2

Here is the start up sequence for our Lancaster in Nanton Alberta Canada,  She isn't airworthy yet, maybe one day, she is part of the Bomber Command Museum of Canada   http://www.bombercommandmuseum.ca/index.html 

I hope this helps with your dio, and I would say yes the bomb doors would be open, and if not, so what , it is YOUR diorama.....and it will be YOUR Lanc, so do it as you would like to show it.... hope tis helps you

Jeff

• Like 1