1:48 Bereznyak-Isayev BI-1 rocket plane

This is the MikroMir Bereznyak-Isayev BI-1 Soviet rocket plane in 1:48. The short run kit goes together fairly well but the decals are fragile. Canopy masks are provided in the kit which are a great help.  The kit was reviewed here on BM.

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

06.JPG

07.JPG

To show how small this is, that is an Airfix 1/72 Hurricane next to it.

08.JPG

Julien

• Like 14

5 minutes ago, Shar2 said:

Nice build Julien. Weird little thing isn't it?

Thanks Dave. Yes it is strange, from the era when it was thought rocket propulsion was the way forward, then the jets arrived.  Was powered by Nitric Acid and Kerosene. Not good for the pilot in a crash!

Julien

Very nice job.

I've considered buying this kit a couple of times in the past, but assumed that it would be rubbish. Now that I know how well it can turn out I may enter a bid next time.

• Like 1

It is a most improbable looking flying machine! I love these off beat subjects though, and it looks like a pretty good kit. You've certainly done it justice.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Thanks for posting  – a nice model of an aircraft I hadn't heard of.

Looking at the wing area, I wonder if it had a very high landing speed.

Regards,

David

• Like 1

17 hours ago, John_W said:

Very nice. I only came across it when it became part of an upgrade pack on IL2 Stormovik.

You have to admire the test pilots of these early jets/rockets, they were more deadly than than the enemy.

In one of the test the rocket exploded knocking the pilot out and covering him in nitric acid. He was only saved by a quick thinking ground crew getting him into a soda bath. They kept soda baths around to neautalise the nitric acid.

• Thanks 1