Academy 1/72 Tempest Mk V

CamberrySauce

On 17/02/2018 at 6:30 AM, dogsbody said:

Watching.

Chris

Welcome aboard!

On 17/02/2018 at 7:24 AM, Col. said:

Nice one Cam, we have plenty room for another Tempest, thank you for bringing this one to the party :thumbsup:

On 17/02/2018 at 8:43 AM, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good evening Camberrysauce

Great to see another Tempest do you know what markings you will apply ?

Patrice

I'll most likely be doing one of the box schemes however if that turns pear shaped I might get some aftermarket decals

More progress today although not that much. I assembled the cockpit stuff but can't paint it yet due to broken airbrush nozzle :unamused:

20180217_10405820180217_10492720180217_104942

Thanks for checking in

-Cam

• Like 5

Thanks everyone for the nice comments :) I'm contemplating getting the Xtradecal sheet because I've never had any good experiences with academy decals. 

The other day the airbrush nozzle finally turned up so I'll be carrying on with this build tomorrow :D 

-Cam

• Like 4

On 01/03/2018 at 11:15 PM, CamberrySauce said:

Thanks everyone for the nice comments :) I'm contemplating getting the Xtradecal sheet because I've never had any good experiences with academy decals

The other day the airbrush nozzle finally turned up so I'll be carrying on with this build tomorrow :D 

-Cam

Me neither, they either don't stick or they contain errors - which is a shame as Academy can make good kits - just annoying having to spend more money on replacement decals.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I use Klear to bed decals with & as long as I gloss coat properly first, Academy decals aren't a problem.

Steve.

Unfortunately I have not been able to find Klear where I live :( Do you know of any alternatives in NZ?

Afaik, about the only alternative is Pascoe's Long life self shining floor polish, available at Bunnings, I bought her in doors some so I could steal her Klear, she thought it wasn't as good as Klear, I haven'y used it but guess I should try some out, watch this space. I have seen it given an OK rating buy our friends across the ditch.

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok, been there & done that, I put a couple of spare stars & bars from an Academy P-47 (I did the SEAC RAF option) on my Academy P-40C paint bitch, top wing was in matt dark green, underside gloss silver (trying the new Vallejo silvers, better sprayed though I shouldn't wonder). Anyway, I did it just like I do for Klear, brushed on a coat of the Pascoes,  & let it dry, maybe a little slower than the Klear to dry, a milky coloured thin liquid out of the bottle. When dry I dipped the decals into water, & took out to let sit till they could be slid then I brushed a little of the Pascoes stuff where the decal was to go, slid it into place, wicked away the excess with a paper towel courtesy of Maccas  :D , & used a damp Q-tip to position the decal & roll it down, one that slipped I painted on more Pascoes, which enabled me to reposition it, did the paper towel thing & q-tip again & left to dry. The Pascoes worked just like the Klear, pulling the decals into surface detail as it dried. When dry, I gave it a coat of matt varnish, the acid test for silvering. The top wing decal looked to show some but it was quickly obvious as an out of register decal being only on one side, the decal carrier film was invisible when inspected under strong lighting from various angles. In conclusion, after this brief test I would say it performed just as Klear does & if swmbo wants to confiscate my Klear, I'll happily use the Pascoes stuff.

Steve.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Ok, been there & done that, I put a couple of spare stars & bars from an Academy P-47 (I did the SEAC RAF option) on my Academy P-40C paint bitch, top wing was in matt dark green, underside gloss silver (trying the new Vallejo silvers, better sprayed though I shouldn't wonder). Anyway, I did it just like I do for Klear, brushed on a coat of the Pascoes,  & let it dry, maybe a little slower than the Klear to dry, a milky coloured thin liquid out of the bottle. When dry I dipped the decals into water, & took out to let sit till they could be slid then I brushed a little of the Pascoes stuff where the decal was to go, slid it into place, wicked away the excess with a paper towel courtesy of Maccas  :D , & used a damp Q-tip to position the decal & roll it down, one that slipped I painted on more Pascoes, which enabled me to reposition it, did the paper towel thing & q-tip again & left to dry. The Pascoes worked just like the Klear, pulling the decals into surface detail as it dried. When dry, I gave it a coat of matt varnish, the acid test for silvering. The top wing decal looked to show some but it was quickly obvious as an out of register decal being only on one side, the decal carrier film was invisible when inspected under strong lighting from various angles. In conclusion, after this brief test I would say it performed just as Klear does & if swmbo wants to confiscate my Klear, I'll happily use the Pascoes stuff.

Steve.

Thanks very much Steve, this is all very helpful for me :D I'm going to go out get some Pascoes stuff when I can. I was also wondering if it's good for dipping canopies into to make them nice and clear? 

I made some progress yesterday, I got the internals painted up and prepared them for brown wash

20180304_214330

Thanks for checking in :)

-Cam

• Like 2

On 06/03/2018 at 3:22 PM, stevehnz said:

I'll give that a go & report back. :) 

Steve.

& yes, it appears to work well for that too. I'll qualify that by saying I'm not a canopy dipper by habit. I dipped an old, as in original Airfix Mosquito canopy in it & to my subjective eye it was a distinct improvement. It does have a somewhat ammonia smell as does later Klear, so maybe some caveats on its use others can advise on, I'll start a thread on the Pascoes stuff rather than butt in on your build thread anymore Cam. The Tempest is coming on nicely.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Thanks 1

On 10/03/2018 at 9:32 PM, stevehnz said:

& yes, it appears to work well for that too. I'll qualify that by saying I'm not a canopy dipper by habit. I dipped an old, as in original Airfix Mosquito canopy in it & to my subjective eye it was a distinct improvement. It does have a somewhat ammonia smell as does later Klear, so maybe some caveats on its use others can advise on, I'll start a thread on the Pascoes stuff rather than butt in on your build thread anymore Cam. The Tempest is coming on nicely.

Steve.

Thanks very much Steve, this is all very helpful :)

Made some progress today, I applied the primer coat (Which is just Tamiya Neutral Grey)

20180308_201352

-Cam 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I apologise for not posting recently but I've quite a bit of progress since the last post. First of all I got the underside painted up and attempted some post shading as well, I'm sure how well it turned out but I kinda like it.

20180309_211021

After masking up the underside the next thing to do is the upper surface, first up is the ocean grey

20180310_11353120180310_11353920180310_114857

After that had dried I applied the masking for the dark green as well as respraying some pre shading lines

20180310_14200220180310_14292420180311_17270320180311_17271020180311_17271020180310_21230320180311_172719

I also went out based on @stevehnz's very helpful comments and got some Pascoes floor polish for the gloss varnish

20180311_173507

Next up is the varnish and decaling

Thanks for checking in :)

-Cam

• Like 9

The paint looks to have gone down well and given you a nice smooth base for the decals Cam. Good luck with those.

• Thanks 1