Buccaneer boys.

Britman

SCAN0577

Shall we say 1978/9? This dropped in on us on day having blown the hood it landed wheels up on a nice foam carpet. it was then deposited into "our" hangar at Invicta Aircraft Engineering at Manston. A working party came down from I presume Honington to prepare it for a gear down ferry back home. It stayed with us for three or four days and before it left dad and I "zapped" it just below the port intake with the white horse of Invicta! Now I have tried everywhere on the net to get the serial number of this beastie and drawn a blank, can anybody help?

Edited by Britman
Er, spelling.
  • Like 6

Wasn't Manston a major diversion airfield?

I imagine there were plenty of interesting unscheduled arrivals. I wonder if the Bucc was written off. Should be possible to trace the serial number, it will be recorded somewhere

The fire section at Manston had a “visitots’ book” of unscheduled arrivals which, IIRC, included a Dan-Air Comet with a collapsed nose undercarriage: I wonder if if still exists somewhere.

Flying from Manston’s runway in a Chipmunk was slightly surreal; the smallest powered aircraft in the RAF inventory at the time operating from a runway wide enough that you couldn’t see one side from the other due to the curvature of the earth, let alone the ends.  I can still remember looking out through the top of the forward section of the canopy late on one approach and being able to see nothing but runway and we were still definitely the right way up and a long way from going down vertically.

Morning,

think the comment by stever219 was being cheeky, it's to do with your post #8, "anyone know this aircraft?" 

I assume you meant the Bucc. at the top of the page, but I think a lot of us expected another photo.

Paul

3 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

Morning,

think the comment by stever219 was being cheeky, it's to do with your post #8, "anyone know this aircraft?" 

I assume you meant the Bucc. at the top of the page, but I think a lot of us expected another photo.

Paul

Thanks Paul: I was indeed being irreverent and facetious as well as expecting another photo.  😜 (I think)?

13 hours ago, Scimitar said:

There is no listing of a Buccaneer written off at Manston  in either 1978 or '79 so presume it was repaired.

Have you tried asking here? www.pprune.org.

Appreciate your interest, but as my introduction says it was flown gear down back to Honington. I will try pprune as you suggest. This is no big deal,but sometimes one just wonders as to the eventual fate of some aircraft of which more anon.

9 hours ago, Britman said:

but as my introduction says

On 19/02/2018 at 8:20 AM, Britman said:

Yes it was Smudge

This is where I got confused then. Your reply to @Smudge's comment about it being written off was what made me look for write offs in that year.

Could your photo be as late as 1984?

XV352 was involved in a catagory 3 accident on 14/2/84 whilst with 208. It was returned to the unit after repairs on 11/1/85 and was then coded 'TS'

I have been unable to find anything on the accident.

You know of course that the itch won't be satisfied until you identify it :)

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

This is where I got confused then. Your Invictay to @Smudge's comment about it  being written off was what made me look for write offs in that year.

Could your photo be as late as 1984?

XV352 was involved in a catagory 3 accident on 14/2/84 whilst with 208. It was returned to the unit after repairs on 11/1/85 and was then coded 'TS'

I have been unable to find anything on the accident.

You know of course that the itch won't be satisfied until you identify it :)

Answer was to the question about Manston being a major diversion field. Invicta folded in 1980 , so had to be late 70,s as I had left in 79 and my dad was last man out in 1980.

Good suggestions, I looked over 208,s squadron site last night  but drew a blank. I did find in one of my own books another view wich I will post later. Unfortunately I cannot see any individual identification but have nailed the year to 1977.