goose

With the release of the rn phantom and a future raf one on the way from airfix,

I asked if they had plans for new tool Buccaneer the reply was

Dear Sir

Thank you for your email.

We do not have any current plans for the Blackburn Buccaneer, however I will be happy to pass this on as a suggestion to the Airfix Marketing and Development team, they do appreciate all suggestions and take these on board when planning future ranges.

Kind Regards,
  • Like 3

You just know they are secretly planning one as the next in their showcase 1/24 scale with options to have wings folded and all hanging out or "clean" as well as 4 decal options - 1 RN, 2 early RAF, 3 late RAF Germany/ Red Flag and 4 Gulf War lady

Nurse is it time for tea yet..?  I need to go for a P............................

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, goose said:

they do appreciate all suggestions and take these on board when planning future ranges.

No they don't, I've suggested a 1/72 venom twice now and they've still not released one 😎

I'll get my coat .....

Edited by shatters
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

There Must be a world conspiracy against Single seat Venoms... I now  consider it more likely that someone finds the tool for  the old Frog than a mainstreamer bringing out a new mould.

The autocomplete function of my new iPhone is abysmal. Yes, I DO want to write in English...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I hope you UK modelers get a new-tool Buc from Airfix, even though I've been the proud (and monetarily depressed!) owner of the CMR resin kit, which is outstanding, but 'way out of my league right now. What is it about the Buc that drives you guys around the bend? Having never seen or heard one in reheat, I guess I don't know what I have missed, but those Gulf War Bucs are soooo nasty-looking, I will have to  admit.

Off topic, to be sure, but I'm hoping for a Hampden, Halifax, and DH Hornet! (I'd really like to see a Manchester, but I'm delusional, I admit!)

Mike

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Off topic, to be sure, but I'm hoping for a Hampden, Halifax, and DH Hornet! (I'd really like to see a Manchester, but I'm delusional, I admit!)

Mike

Good list Mike, I would agree with all and in 1/48 scale too, if they don't mind? as well as a new Bucc and a Canberra please :)

John

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

Good list Mike, I would agree with all and in 1/48 scale too, if they don't mind? as well as a new Bucc and a Canberra please :)

John

John,

I've just about given up hope that somebody, anybody, will do an accurate Canberra BMk 2; following your conversion and those of others on BM, I see that it can be done, and I might have to go that route, but it would sure be nice not to have to raid the spares inventory and a couple of kits, plus aftermarket bits to get one. Whoever gets one out is going to make a TON of money, and I'd just as soon my modeling money went to Airfix, but wouldn't mind a Special Hobby, Valom, or Revell/Germany release.

I know- I'm a dreamer!

Mike

Put me down for two- a BMK 2 and an RB-57A from the 363rd TRW...love those red checkered tails!

• Like 1

How about 1/72 Canberras and B-57's in new tool format.  The Italerii B-57 is long in the tooth.

I am hoping the scale down their 1/48 Sea Fury to 1/72 ???  Venom and Vampire family in both 1/72 and 1/48 would be welcome....

Steve,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

What is it about the Buc that drives you guys around the bend? Having never seen or heard one in reheat, I guess I don't know what I have missed, but those Gulf War Bucs are soooo nasty-looking, I will have to  admit.

Nobody's ever heard a Buccaneer in reheat, though they have been known to have the occasional engine fire.

• Like 1
  • Haha 15

3 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

John,

I've just about given up hope that somebody, anybody, will do an accurate Canberra BMk 2; following your conversion and those of others on BM, I see that it can be done, and I might have to go that route, but it would sure be nice not to have to raid the spares inventory and a couple of kits, plus aftermarket bits to get one. Whoever gets one out is going to make a TON of money, and I'd just as soon my modeling money went to Airfix, but wouldn't mind a Special Hobby, Valom, or Revell/Germany release.

I know- I'm a dreamer!

Mike

Put me down for two- a BMK 2 and an RB-57A from the 363rd TRW...love those red checkered tails!

Unfortunately Mike I'm of the same mind, I, you and many more can't understand the logic or lack of in not having a good Canberra B.2/6

John  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Corvi said:

How about 1/72 Canberras and B-57's in new tool format.  The Italerii B-57 is long in the tooth.

I am hoping the scale down their 1/48 Sea Fury to 1/72 ???  Venom and Vampire family in both 1/72 and 1/48 would be welcome....

Steve,

Steve not only is the Italeri B.57 long in the tooth, but it is woefully inaccurate! So yes please to a new one but make sure they decide which model of B.57 it's going to be from the outset as there are a lot of differences between the wings on the B's.

John  

• Like 1

YES  and of courses the nose versions too and lets not get into the RB's and the different configs. on those wings.  Make it simple they can do early versions.  Even though a Vietnam G would be nice too?

Heck i would take new tool 1/144 B-57's and Canberras??  the A-Model kit isnt bad but a new versions would be nice!

Steve

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

but those Gulf War Bucs are soooo nasty-looking, I will have to  admit.

You think the 'pink' ones are nasty looking? Recently saw footage of 809 caning it below deck edge level. Now that's nails!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, goose said:

With the release of the rn phantom and a future raf one on the way from airfix,

I asked if they had plans for new tool Buccaneer the reply was

We do not have any current plans for the Blackburn Buccaneer, however I will be happy to pass this on as a suggestion to the Airfix Marketing and Development team, they do appreciate all suggestions and take these on board when planning future ranges.

People have been asking Airfix for a new tool Buccaneer for years, and a Canberra, their answer has always been as your last sentence reads.

They gave us a new Canberra, in two scales, unfortunately riddled with errors and very toy like in its finish.

They have finally issued a British Phantom, but even this lags behind a 30 year old kit in detail and surface finish.

I've got to the point that I prefer other manufacturers to release these things now, which is thankfully where Tanmodel will step in with their 72/48 scale Buccaneers.

I find it strange that the Buccaneer is so poorly represented in kits. To my mind it (and the Canberra) were true world leading combat aircraft from the British aircraft industry, the Buccaneer deserved far more export success than it did find.

The Airfix 48th Buccaneer is to my mind a nice kit, and represented Airfix at one of their pinnacles, it can be a pain to build - banana jet, banana model.

72nd kits are woefully lacking, the Frog, Matchbox and Airfix kits are ancient and basic, however as proved by Perdu and Massimo in the current aircraft work in progress forum, they are certainly workable.

The 1/100 scale Tamiya Bucc is meant to me quite reasonable, though never clapped eyes on it myself.

It would be great to see a new 72nd kit, hopefully molded in such a way that an S.1 can be modeled from the box.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 4

All nice logical suggestions chaps but I'm hoping that lightning (the weather sort not Lockheed or EE) doesn't strike twice. The Wellington Mk 1c was the last mould produced by Frog but they went bust before its release and what aircraft are we expecting from Airfix in June?

1 hour ago, Aeronut said:

All nice logical suggestions chaps but I'm hoping that lightning (the weather sort not Lockheed or EE) doesn't strike twice. The Wellington Mk 1c was the last mould produced by Frog but they went bust before its release and what aircraft are we expecting from Airfix in June?

Don't worry Aeronut, should Hornby go down the pan, you can bet yer last quid the name Airfix will reappear. The names worth money along with Scalextric. You know the old saying,

"Old moulds never die, just reappear with a new owner"

Paul

7 hours ago, tempestfan said:

There Must be a world conspiracy against Single seat Venoms... I now  consider it more likely that someone finds the tool for  the old Frog than a mainstreamer bringing out a new mould.

The autocomplete function of my new iPhone is abysmal. Yes, I DO want to write in English...

Its because the single seaters are rubbish.

Proper Venoms have two seats and deck hooks B)

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

12 hours ago, 71chally said:

They gave us a new Canberra, in two scales, unfortunately riddled with errors and very toy like in its finish.

They have finally issued a British Phantom, but even this lags behind a 30 year old kit in detail and surface finish.

The Canberra was made under the old Trevor Snowden-led development team, where the attitude to finesse and accuracy, especially in 1/72, was less than ideal (See also Hurricane mk II and Sea Harriers). The Phantom is a bit of an abberation, so much so that I wonder if it's a different designer from usual - it certainly stands out from other recent kits like the Mitchell or the test shots of the Wellington.

7 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

Its because the single seaters are rubbish.

Proper Venoms have two seats and deck hooks B)

We could do with decent, accurate kits of both, including the NF ones!

• Like 2

On 2/15/2018 at 12:35 PM, 71chally said:

I've got to the point that I prefer other manufacturers to release these things now, which is thankfully where Tanmodel will step in with their 72/48 scale Buccaneers.

The Airfix 48th Buccaneer is to my mind a nice kit, and represented Airfix at one of their pinnacles, it can be a pain to build - banana jet, banana model.

I fully support your first line and hope that airfix completely avoids doing another Bucc, because of the second line...

If that kit is the "pinnacle" of what they can produce, they might as well close their doors immediately.

Tanmodel have released some very nice images on their Bucc but I think they have been influenced into the "marketing world of the Turkish armaments industry" since they are concentrating on current issue equipment and desk ornaments for office-wallahs.

Hopefully we will see them return to the production of their great kits and going by what they have released so far (T-33, Kfir, Delphin, Thunderflash, etc) the future is very bright.

Their website is saying 2018 release date... (correction! Scalemates website. Darn it!)

Edited by hairystick
  • Like 3