Airfix 1/72 Hurricane Mk.I (new tool) Battle of Britain

Gisbod

Hi all, 

No.2 in my planned ‘Battle of Britain’ 1/72 series - the rather nice Airfix Hurricane Mk I (fabric wing).

The first offering was their equally nice (actually probably nicer even) new Stuka. I was waiting on a replacement canopy due to a slight overspray incident from Airfix. It’s just arrived as I write - very impressive customer service as it took 4 days from me submitting my request! 

So while that was on the back burner, I couldn’t resist dipping into the Hurri..

Extras are the beautiful Eduard interior set, canopy masks and camouflage masks (I’m a lazy builder). Additionally, I’ll be using decals from Xtradecal’s BoB 70th anniversary set. 

So far so good. The fit has been spot on and the Eduard set really brings the cockpit to life. Macro photography always highlights the flaws - and in this scale - it’s a nightmare! But I’ve done my best, and can only say I’m pleased with it in the flesh.

28_F33702-3643-4658-_AD8_D-841_F4_B76475

I’ve managed to squeeze in a map so he doesn’t get lost - printed off the internet after being scaled down considerably:

C7_ACC9_B8-7_F69-4_F9_E-_A731-63_E508_CB

I really can’t take any credit for the instrument panel - it’s just the usual Eduard gem:

EB217_A85-_BBC6-415_E-_A85_C-_A3_CB044_F

The parts in situ:

28640553-15_C2-4_E8_E-81_DD-_D458_EBDC96

I’ve just closed her up and mounted the fuselage on the wings, the fit, again, is great. Just take care and time and it really slots together. I applied some filler along the edges, but it didn’t really need any, more of a just in case..

Thanks for looking,

Guy

Edited by Gisbod
  • Like 16

I thoroughly enjoyed building this kit, even with the self inflicted hassle of using the Alleycat resin "tin wing" conversion. It builds up very nicely. If you want the canopy open, you'll need to sand the fuselage sides a little, just behind the cockpit, but other than that it all fitted very nicely.

Ian

• Like 1

9 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I thoroughly enjoyed building this kit, even with the self inflicted hassle of using the Alleycat resin "tin wing" conversion. It builds up very nicely. If you want the canopy open, you'll need to sand the fuselage sides a little, just behind the cockpit, but other than that it all fitted very nicely.

Ian

Thanks Ian,

That’s a great tip, I wouldn’t have thought to test fit the canopy until too late! 

Guy

Ps now it’s closed up you can hardly see any of it! :wonder: I think in retrospect I would have replaced the kit’s spade-grip control column as it’s definitely oversized. So much so that you can’t even see the lovely instrument panel...

Oh well...

Guy

22 hours ago, Gisbod said:

Additionally, I’ll be using decals from Xtradecal’s BoB 70th anniversary set. 

this one?

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72117

Don't think any are fabric winged.  

you may find this worth a read

as well as some points on the kit here

and, if your in Brighton,   consider checking out IPMS Mid Susssex,   meets in Southwick

http://ipmsmidsussex.org.uk/where-to-find-us

next meeting March 8th

The  site is pants and we are working on updating it.....

if you can't PM  me, there is a email on my profile,  and photobucket hosted pic,   happy to do some introductions,  and  gives you a point of contact. 

HTH

T

Thanks Max ;)

And thanks Troy,

I was thinking the first option on the sheet for a 56 sqn Mk.1 US-P was fabric winged? It has the same more pointed spinner than any others that matches the kit, I don’t know if that is an indication it could be fabric winged?

Failing that, I was thinking to adapt the 85 Sqn version, as the kit portrays VY-G with a yellow spinner and Xtradecal portray VY-R, so using VY-R but as the earlier version with the black and white undersides?

Although I have just had my first mini disaster (I always get one...) the Alclad primer has spat out mini blobs all over the model whilst spraying - no idea why, never had that issue before... I thought they would rub off when dry, but no, and I’m having a job getting the surface to be as good as I’d like. Ho hum.

Thanks for the IPMS club offer, I have been before and enjoyed it, I’ve just got out of the habit of going, but I will try and get back. I’ll drop you a line.

Cheers

Guy

So after my mini disaster - I was half thinking of binning it and buying another one.. A luxury made possible by 1/72 Airfix.. £4.99 - I couldn’t do that with a Wingnuts kit! However, I left it overnight and it didn’t look half as bad as I’d thought in the morning, so with a bit more sanding I primed it black (Mr. Surfacer 1500) then a light coat of MRP white, followed by a very pale green under tone before pre-shading the panel lines with a dark green, finishing up with highlighting panels with white. 

Looks a total mess, but hopefully will transform into a beautiful peacock at the end (well, that’s the idea anyway).

Thanks for looking in..

Guy

ps the disaster was caused by me I think, I had mixed two Alclad primers to get the colour I wanted, but for some reason they reacted - they shouldn’t have done but did...

60_E57_D3_E-_B65_F-457_B-_A2_B0-681_C16_

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gisbod said:

Thanks for the IPMS club offer, I have been before and enjoyed it, I’ve just got out of the habit of going, but I will try and get back.

I think my memory  is going, did you used to bein Hassocksand do some wingnut wings which you brought to the club?

16 hours ago, Gisbod said:

I was thinking the first option on the sheet for a 56 sqn Mk.1 US-P was fabric winged? It has the same more pointed spinner than any others that matches the kit, I don’t know if that is an indication it could be fabric winged?

no. 

Actual documented BoB Hurricane are rare,  as the rag  wing BoB Hurricanes link should explain.

note,  one  recorded fabric wing without photos

On 04/02/2018 at 19:53, tango98 said:

L2012 of 605 Sqn was a fabric wing Hurricane that was lost in the early afternoon of 15 September when, flown by Mike Cooper-Slipper, it collided with a Do 17 of the 5./KG 3 over Marden, Kent.

Unit code at that time was UP. Back in the early 80's I had the chance to discuss the incident with Mike who, despite what has been written about this incident in a number of books, assured me that the only reason for the collision was that as his regular aircraft was u/s, he took the squadron fabric-winged 'spare' (L2012) and lagging behind the rest of the squadron, broke out of cloud to be immediately confronted by the Do17 which he couldn't avoid in time thus resulting in the collision. He also related that had it been a metal winged Hurricane the outcome for him would definitely have been 'more interesting!' (his words).

I may or may not have the individual letter somewhere in my files but can't promise I'd be able to find it in a timely manner. However, my colleague AndyL frequents this DG so hopefully he'll see the post and may possibly be able to add the missing letter.

HTH

Dave

15 hours ago, AndyL said:

L2012 of 605 Squadron was UP-V if you're interested. 

so  you could use  'US'  and 'V' 

the VY-R  decals (and paint guide) are wrong,  the code letters are too slim.

this is US-P  BTW

5ef92315ed306ec97384184a756065b3.jpg

Note in the rag  wing thread there is a link to a camo and markings monograph.

HTH

Guy, Troy also posted a whole load of pics on my thread, so to save him posting those again, you could look here. I did the metal wing conversion, but there are still some very useful references.

thanks again Troy!

Ian

Thanks Troy & Ian,

That’s super helpful.. and enjoyed looking through your thread Ian. Although I had another mini disaster with a spillage and I think it may be be one fault too many - I’ve put it aside for a bit - I may start another. 

In the meantime I’m going to start a new thread on build No.3 - Airfix 1/72 Me109 :P But I will come back to finish the Hurricane off here shortly...

Guy