Doubts regardin the General Dynamics YF-16s

Tonka

- Do the YF-16s had this yellow mechanism on their cockpits to open or close canopy? If not, how was that system? Pics or reference are possible? 
[linked image]?m=1371900389 
http://www.f-16.net/g3/var/resizes/f...g?m=1371900389 

- both YF-16s were smaller then production aircrafts, but where exactly they were stretched? I mean what panels in upper and lower fuselage? 

Bellow : As I have read in magazine about the YF-16 prototypes some equipments were not inside of its MLG bays but inside fuselage right behind its MLG bays. (Here is the production F-16 MLG bays)
Does anybody here have some sketch drawing pics of the general arrengement of these areas on prototypes ? 
[linked image]

All Images I post here under fair use of images for illustration purposes only. 

Thanks 

Tonka

The yellow "Spider" is the canopy lock lever, not a throttle guard. It is, in fact, called the "spider". It does, though, prevent the throttle from being moved into AB when up.

Edited by mstorin
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, mstorin said:

The yellow "Spider" is the canopy lock lever, not a throttle guard. It is, in fact, called the "spider". It does, though, prevent the throttle from being moved into AB when up.

I stand corrected!  Every day a learning day 

On 16/02/2018 at 7:03 AM, mstorin said:

Im interested.....looking at it was this used when aircraft were temp out of service.

I can see it has stops on it and it looks like it prevents the two switches below being operated....but it looks semi permanent if you see what i mean because its is bolted and split pinned....seen better split pinning 5/10😁

I found some more info on F-16.net. It looks like I may have been wrong about the AB lock out (or not, I'm not sure, it all gets confusing). Here's what I found...

"The locking handle does four things: 1) locks the canopy by engaging the locking cam, 2) turns off the canopy not locked light (2 other switches needed also), 3) inflates seal, and 4) COVERS the internal canopy toggle switch to prevent inadvertant actuation in flight.

#'s 2 & 3 occur only when external power is applied.

The only positions the internal switch locks into, is the off (neutral) and up position. The up position is there to assist emergency egress when canopy jettison is not needed. Pilot pushes the switch to up and it frees both hands to unhook themselves and then get out.

If the internal switch remains in the up position and you attempt to close the canopy from the external switch, the canopy will just rise by its self until the internal switch is reset to the off (neutral) position."

IIRC the size difference between YF and FSD/series was Not a simple case of stretching, but the YF also had slightly smaller span and slimmer nose cross section, among other things (I think). The old Aerograph by Jay Miller should be useful, as well as the Detail & Scale and possibly the Aero Series, to explain what exactly differs.