3 1/72 airfix red arrows

Hi. I thought I would try something new and different to what I have done before. I have used leds and tried to display different eras of red arrows aircraft and liveries over the years. The smoke is made from cotton wool. First time I have ever done anything like this. All kits are 1/72 airfix. I am pleased with how it has turned out. All comments welcome.

Thanks

IMAG0854IMAG0853IMAG0855IMAG0856IMAG0863IMAG0858IMAG0862IMAG0857

• Like 33

12 hours ago, Telboy3510 said:

Excellent, I love the the way the models are posed. Much better than sitting on their wheels on shelf. Just my opinion 😊

I agree it adds a little more drama to them but am happy to pose on wheels too. 

9 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

How did you do the lights? Do they need plugging in?

Or is there a battery inside each kit?

Each kit has an led in nose which I soldered wire to. Wire runs down each acrylic rod which is covered by smoke and all wires are connected to a single cell battery holder with switch inside the base. I am not an expert in electronics so do apologise for poor description and technical terms etc. Never done anything like this before so was learning as I go. Quite a challenge making it all fit in the kits especially the gnat. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Bravo, a brilliant piece of modelling. photo #3  does it for me, a bit more to the right would be even better. :)

Steve

Thanks Steve. Glad you like the photo. I have only my camera on my phone which isn't very good so had to take photos where the best natural light / angles were available within my house. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Matt O said:

had to take photos where the best natural light / angles were available within my house. 

This I can understand, same problem at my place, one day a photo booth. :)

I think one reason I liked that shot was it was a bit lower angle & showed off the geometry of your master piece more clearly.

Steve.

58 minutes ago, Matt O said:

Each kit has an led in nose which I soldered wire to. Wire runs down each acrylic rod which is covered by smoke and all wires are connected to a single cell battery holder with switch inside the base. I am not an expert in electronics so do apologise for poor description and technical terms etc. Never done anything like this before so was learning as I go. Quite a challenge making it all fit in the kits especially the gnat. 

It looks brilliant! I reckon something like that in a Nimrod would look cool too.

On 16 February 2018 at 10:32, 06/24 said:

Makes me curious if the Gnat and the Hawk ever flew together during the transition period? Off to google!

You know what, whilst building this bizarrely that question never entered my mind! If you find out would be interested in knowing as you have made me curious about this now! 

• Like 1

And don't for a moment think the answer has any bearing on the quality of what you have built. It was purely idle curiosity on my part.

So far, I've found one shot which I took to be relatively modern (Hawk with white arrow on underside, Gnat without the Royal Air Force branding) but apart from that any pictures I found were of one or other type overflying the other, I.e a Gnat in the ground as Hawks arrive in formation, and vice versa. Which, of course, is not to say it never happened. I wonder if the "Arrows" have a squadron historian who might know?

Unfortunately none of the pictures I found were licensed for reuse, but I'll keep looking.

No worries not taken the wrong way. Just surprised that I never thought about this myself! Will have to have a look too. Like you said maybe a red arrows historian or someone with greater knowledge on them may hold the answer. Thanks

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, 06/24 said:

IMAG0873IMAG0875

Found these images in a red arrows magazine I have. Top one is a grainy image which says is the only official picture of both in air together. Other is of them on line up. Sorry about quality of the photos. Taken on phone.

Edited by Matt O
  • Like 1