1:48 Sopwith Dolphin Tangmere 1918

RMCS

The inspiration  for this build was taken from a fantastic book showing the history of the famous Tangmere Airfield in West Sussex.Renowned for its role in WWII this historic airfield was built in 1917 and became operational in 1918.

This build is based on a photograph showing a Ltd E Wilson 92Sqn stood next to a newly delivered Sopwith Dolphin waiting to be ferried across to France. It is so new that it doesn't have any squadron identification.

Luckily for me Copper State Models have recently released a superb 1:48  scale Dolphin. I was able to buy the premium edition, which came with resin engine, photo etch and also metal cast exhausts.

This kit is sublime,  It is my first WWII subject and I thourghly  enjoyed building it using my trust vallejo paints and ED Line for the rigging.

I also purchased Copper States RAF airman to represent Ltd E Wilson along with Eduard Lewis guns (which is the only thing missing from the kit).

The model is going to be part of my clubs build this year :101 (101 years of Tangmere Airfield).

1:48 Sopwith Dolphin kit by Copper State Models

• Like 40
  • Thanks 2

Hello Richard,

Waow :worthy::worthy: Excellent, I really love her !

Another british nicety ! Did'nt know the beast before !

You did great, 4 machine guns at the time being.... serious firepower indeed !

Congratulations and thanks for sharing !

• Like 1

Beautiful! Of course, I assumed it was the 1/32 (ahem, WW) version, doh! And as corsaircorp says...FOUR forward firing machine guns?!! That's insane AND almost a Spitfire :D :D! Seriously...really, really nice build of an often (and wrongly) overlooked aircraft. Thanks for sharing...

• Like 1

I think we can consider the Dolphin as the precursor to the IL-2, SU-25, Warthog and all the rest of the heavily armed ground attack fighters.    Weren't the Dolphins also armoured wit steel plating under the cockpit and engine areas?

Superb build and reminds me that my CMR 1/72nd sits in the stack.  

Inspiring!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

I think we can consider the Dolphin as the precursor to the IL-2, SU-25, Warthog and all the rest of the heavily armed ground attack fighters.    Weren't the Dolphins also armoured wit steel plating under the cockpit and engine areas?

Superb build and reminds me that my CMR 1/72nd sits in the stack.  

Inspiring!

Yes they had plating underneath. It's a cracking aircraft that us overlooked.

4 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

I noticed that too but didn't want to say anything...:huh:

A Simple and easy mistake to make, others have done it as well,  and an easy fix that to me would turn a great build to an excellent one . Its just as a weapons person its the sort of thing I notice! Am I a OCD sufferer on this? Probably. Nobody's perfect, especially me!

Selwyn

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Devilfish said:

Beautiful model. I've been looking at this one myself, as I need a Dolphin for my 85 Sqn collection. How was the build?

Paul

It goes together beautifully