Jagdtiger winter worn

Excellant Jagdtiger, enjoyed the wip, especially the info on solder, sideskirts etc so much so its inspired me to dig my old Dragon JT out of the deep stash to give it a crack.  Super work the finish and weathering are just superb.:goodjob:

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
On 2/24/2018 at 7:03 PM, Steve_farrier said:

Thanks very much for the compliment. 

However I am confused slightly lol

Whats a jabos? 🙂

Jabos. German for Jagdbomber - fighter bomber.

Pete

• Thanks 1

For sale, or part exchange for a pair of gloves and bowl of hot soup - one Jagtider, one owner, slightly 'used' condition.

Nothing that some elbow grease, a sledge hammer, oxy-acetylene torch, arc welder, grinder, and a tonne of plate steel can't fix.

Fantastic work. I'm also looking forward to seeing this beast in a dio!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Haha 1

On 11/11/2018 at 10:46 AM, Badder said:

For sale, or part exchange for a pair of gloves and bowl of hot soup - one Jagtider, one owner, slightly 'used' condition.

Nothing that some elbow grease, a sledge hammer, oxy-acetylene torch, arc welder, grinder, and a tonne of plate steel can't fix.

"Damaged? Nah, mate. Should just buff out."

On 11/11/2018 at 10:46 AM, Badder said:

Fantastic work. I'm also looking forward to seeing this beast in a dio!

I was thinking exactly the same. This would look amazing in a 'ready for ambush' diorama. 🌲🌲🌳🌲🌲🌳🌲

• Thanks 1

The effects are indeed awesome. 

But I do have a little concern, and I apologise in advance if this seems like party-pooping what are undoubtedly some serious finishing skills and effects.

None of these tanks saw any more than 6 months' service - some as little as 2 - before the war ended.  Yes, it was over the particularly harsh winter of '44-45.  But that was snowy and cold rather than wet.  First operational use was in the Ardennes and the war was over 6 months later.  Last vehicles didn't come off the line until March '45, barely 2 months before the end.  This is a non-zimmerit vehicle, so probably came off the line after Nov '44.

Jagdtigers didn't travel very far: I suspect little more than 200 miles at most.  They broke down a lot as the mechanical systems were overstressed at 69 tonnes.  Few surviving bridges could take that weight and rail travel, even if possible, was hazardous in the extreme.  They weren't manoeuvre vehicles but were ambush predators and after the Ardennes tended to operate mostly from static overwatch positions where their 3,000+m effective AP range and 10,000+m artillery range could be utilised, withdrawing from one position to another.  The gun was provided with zoned charges for the HE rounds to allow it to be used as SP artillery.

So I suppose I'm asking if a "premium" vehicle in service for such a short time in such limited circumstances would really have gotten into this sort of state.

And that's before we consider the fact that armour plate and armour castings (and track links) do not readily rust because of the corrosion-inhibiting strengthening elements in their alloys, most notably the high carbon content.  Germany preferred RHA to face-hardened plate, so the carbon content in the surface layer was somewhat less.  The castings like the mantlet, hatch covers, casemate front, engine grilles, kugelblende etc would of course be face-hardened after casting.  Mild steel fittings will rust, but weld metal will always and forever remain bright shiny silver.

Apologies again if any of this seems unduly "picky".

• Like 2

@Das Abteilung no worries at all. The information is great and not picky at all just factual. No print on being upset over facts. 

Its a VERY grubby paint job simply because I enjoyed the challenge. I’m not a fan of “1946 what ifs” but we could throw this one In here 😂🤫 

I’m impressed how much attention this is getting so long after being posted origionally lol.

most of my builds are what you would describe as extreme weathered. Take my BR52 atm in WiP section. It’s much dirtier than it would have been during the war. And only really dirty examples were seen post war in the eastern satalite countries or in scrap yards. 

I just have a real trouble with displaying models clean... there’s so much less to look at 😂 

9 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

The effects are indeed awesome. 

But I do have a little concern, and I apologise in advance if this seems like party-pooping what are undoubtedly some serious finishing skills and effects.

None of these tanks saw any more than 6 months' service - some as little as 2 - before the war ended.  Yes, it was over the particularly harsh winter of '44-45.  But that was snowy and cold rather than wet.  First operational use was in the Ardennes and the war was over 6 months later.  Last vehicles didn't come off the line until March '45, barely 2 months before the end.  This is a non-zimmerit vehicle, so probably came off the line after Nov '44.

Jagdtigers didn't travel very far: I suspect little more than 200 miles at most.  They broke down a lot as the mechanical systems were overstressed at 69 tonnes.  Few surviving bridges could take that weight and rail travel, even if possible, was hazardous in the extreme.  They weren't manoeuvre vehicles but were ambush predators and after the Ardennes tended to operate mostly from static overwatch positions where their 3,000+m effective AP range and 10,000+m artillery range could be utilised, withdrawing from one position to another.  The gun was provided with zoned charges for the HE rounds to allow it to be used as SP artillery.

So I suppose I'm asking if a "premium" vehicle in service for such a short time in such limited circumstances would really have gotten into this sort of state.

And that's before we consider the fact that armour plate and armour castings (and track links) do not readily rust because of the corrosion-inhibiting strengthening elements in their alloys, most notably the high carbon content.  Germany preferred RHA to face-hardened plate, so the carbon content in the surface layer was somewhat less.  The castings like the mantlet, hatch covers, casemate front, engine grilles, kugelblende etc would of course be face-hardened after casting.  Mild steel fittings will rust, but weld metal will always and forever remain bright shiny silver.

Apologies again if any of this seems unduly "picky".

Wow ,and there i was debating should i point out that i don't think at that stage of the war  German tanks would  be showing a flag .

• Haha 1

What was it that German soldiers used to say? Something like this: "If you see a green plane it's British.  If you see a silver plane it's American.  If you see no plane it's the Luftwaffe."  I hadn't thought about the flag, but that late in the war it does perhaps seem unlikely.  Were they carried for the Ardennes operation?  Luftwaffe support was expected IIRC, but of course the weather grounded everyone.  Those aircraft were later squandered attacking Allied forward airfields.

• Like 1