72 scale He 111

goose

I were spending my money on a 1/72 Heinkel 111 I'd go for the new Airfix kit. Available as P (Poland, Battle of Britain) or H-6 (1941 and later). As good if not better while cheaper and more easily available than Hasegawa (although that has reappeared in my local hobbyshop in the Revell box so you can get the Hasegawa H-6 variant for a decent price).

Hi,

I have both Hasegawa/Revell and Airfix (and Roden :) I would say that Hasegawa is good but Airfix is better. Difference is not big, so availability, price etc. might affect to decision which one to go. Before Airfix I was perfectly happy for Hasey.

Cheers,

AaCee

• vppelt68 changed the title to 72 scale He 111

The new Airfix kit is superbly accurate and while I haven't yet built itm by general reputation on here seems to be less finicky in terms of fit and fiddliness than some of the other recent Airfix twins e.g. the Dornier 17Z and Blenheim.

The Hasegawa / Revell is okay if you can live with the trenchdigger surface detailing, and in the end that annoyed me so much in the context of a recent tooling that I sold mine on. The Italeri kit is still very respectable if you want a low-priced second-hand option, and goes together well.  The Matchbox kit is surprisingly decent too amongst the older offers. I'm sure I don't need to tell you to avoid the older Airfix kit.

I have a Roden He-III C which I've been attempting to build for longer than I care to admit. I drag it out, build a little bit more, curse a lot, and put it away again until I can work up the courage to have another go. It's an AWFUL kit. The only thing that has saved it from a final flight into the nearest wall (several times) is the knowledge that it's the only way I'll get a C model. Wouldn't it be nice if someone - anyone! - came out with an accurate set of the early He-IIIs so that the godawful Roden rubbish can be pensioned off! Even a conversion set would be better than Roden's horrors.

• Like 2

I have both and seen both built - the Airfix is excellent. Isn't the Hase one just a re-pop of the Matchbox with deeper and wider panel lines? (cue irony switch to ON)

Roden kit

http://s15.zetaboards.com/72nd_Aircraft/topic/807689/1/

http://s15.zetaboards.com/72nd_Aircraft/topic/10332166/1/

http://s15.zetaboards.com/72nd_Aircraft/topic/809973/1/

I don’t want to upset the mods, but if which ever you decide to go for out of the airfix and hasegawa I have one of each I’m looking to move on. As for the strengths of each, not build the hasegawa before but both look good on the spurs and hasegawas generalities  build up well, whereas with airfix it’s very much a it depends case of your own style vs the kit engineering