This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

RACETRACK

Most memorable film scenes..

I've been thinking about this for a while now. What makes a scene in a film stamp an indelible image in your mind?  Something awesome or just plain cool?

Here's some of mine.

Star wars ANH. Opening shot of the Tantive iv being bared down on by the star destroyer that was impossibly massive. As a ten year old it completely blew my mind, it's never been the same since.

The USS Enterprise rising up out of Titan. Start Trek  JJ verse. I know a lot of people hated the reboot and the afore mentioned ship's design but I was'nt one of them. I was sceptical before seeing the film but enjoyed it and the shot of the Enterprise rising up out of the dust with Saturn in the back ground was awesome.

Planet of the Apes 1968. End shot of the film. The revelation to me as well as George Taylor that we'd been on Earth all along " they blew it all up..... etc"

Avengers. The Shield  helicarrier deploys huge engines, lifts, out of the ocean and turns invisible.. perfect.

2001. The perfect shiny clipper heading for the semi complete definitive space station.. magic.

The escape from the mines of Moria. The fellowship of the ring. A heart pounding watch, and jaw dropping appearance of the Balrog.

Jason and the Agonaughts. Talos the giant awakes very slowly and deliberately takes his time accompanied by the need for some serious WD40. This one is one of my first memories ever.

War of the Words, the George Pal version. The rise and reveal for the first time of  the Martin warships.

Over to you guys....

Edited by RACETRACK
incomplete

The start of the Italian Job and the end of Get Carter where Micheal Caine throws away the shotgun...Also the 1979 Dracula where Frank Langella is on the horse in the cemetery...

Edited by Vince1159

I can't recall actual scenes from films, just lines, such as "We're going to need a bigger boat!".

John

Second the ANH opening scene - THE SciFi movie intro.

I can't help it but for me one scene which burned into my eyes was from The Ring (US remake) quite at the beginning. After the funeral of the daughter the family meets in the parents house and the mother tells a friend about the strange death and that the doctor said it was a heart attack, which seemd odd to the mother because of the young age of her daughter and her look... Then there is a flash back of how they found the daughter in the closet. I was just the "usual shocking scene" (the equivalent to the original Psycho when Bates Mother is found in the basement) but verrrrry effective because of the calm and rational explanation right before - for me at least.

Blues Brothers, when Jake throws the lighter out of the car. I loved this scene back then :-)

2 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

The start of the Italian Job and the end of Get Carter where Micheal Caine throws away the shotgun..

That was my local beach. I grew up 10mins walk from it. I do like to use the one below when rivet trolls start droning on about miniscule less than important points about my builds.

Edited by Darby

Where to start?

The scene in Conan the Barbarian where Conan (Schwarzenegger) is riding East to the Mountain of Power, but it only works on the big screen.  And what a soundtrack.  I have it on CD and still play it.

The Sword Attic in Kill Bill Vol. 1; wish I had one (though I'd fill it with Chinese arms, just our preference).

The Daoist Swordsman's dance in Chinese Ghost Story 1.

Roy Batty's death scene in Blade Runner ("All these memories will be lost in time, like tears in rain.  Time to die.")

The scene in Dune where the Guild Highliner materialises above Arrakis.

Roy Scheider on the beach when the shark attacks and the background recedes while the camera closes in on him.

I still, 41 years after Jaws came out, find that scene incredibly powerful.

"bend over and 'I'll show you" scene in National Lampoon's Christmas vacation

Burn dust and eat my rubber from the same film;

Archie being put in the cooler in The Great Escape

The Godfather The scene where Woltz finds the horses head.

Jaws "Richard Dreyfuss swimming under the abandoned boat and the head comes out"

Goodfellas "You're  a funny guy Tommy!"

Black Hawk Down  "When the helicopter assault force fly through the smoke"

The Bourne Ultimatum " When Bourne guides the journalist through Waterloo Station avoiding cameras and takes out the surveillance teams"

The movie, The Thing by John Carpenter.

Swiss Miss,the scene with Stan trying to outwit a St Bernard to get the brandy (always leaves me in tears)...

Some great scenes there but the one that really made my spine tingle was the final scene from 'The Sixth Sense' where he.........hmm shouldn't really throw in any plot spoilers!

Bob

"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle."

The helicopter scene from "Apocalypse Now" where "Gimme Shelter" was playing in the background never ceases to give me chills.

I don't know of too many film scenes that had a better fit of imagery to music than that one.

Edited by upnorth

Saw it in the cinema when I was about 8 or 9.

Jaws.

When Sheriff Brody is shovelling chum & the shark comes out of the water & we see him for the first time, with Brody shocked, goes into the cabin & says the immortal line;

"we're gonna need a bigger boat"

Even now, 40 odd years later, the film grips me & THAT music makes my hair stand up.

Other memorable quotes (other than "we're going to need a bigger boat")

"Charlie don't surf"

"I feel the need....the need for speed"

"Welcome to the party, pal"  / "yippie ki ay <censored>"

"I've had it with these <censored> snakes on this <censored> plane"

.. and of course,. "I'll be back"

Edited by IanHx

I have two suggestions:

(1) The scene in Play Misty for Me when Clint Eastwood is asleep in bed and wakens to find Jessica Walter standing over him with a very large knife poised to strike.  I saw the film in the cinema on its first release (yes, that dates me) and there was a collective scream from the audience.

(2) The scene in Downfall where Magda Goebbels (played by Corrina Harfouch) first drugs then poisons her six children.  It's practically unbearable to watch and one film scene I'll never forget even if I almost wish I hadn't seen it.

The shootout from Heat. It justs starts, no build up, no sound track, simply breathtaking!

Oh, on a lighter note, the start of Shaun of the Dead where no one notices the difference from a typical Monday morning to the start of a zombie apocalypse! We've all been there!!!!!!!

1 minute ago, Simon382 said:

Oh, on a lighter note, the start of Shaun of the Dead where no one notices the difference from a typical Monday morning to the start of a zombie apocalypse! We've all been there!!!!!!!

There was also the wonderful scene where Shaun and his pals were trying to kill zombies by frisbee-ing LPs at them!

Bullitt. The chase.

Lawrence of Arabia, various scenes with that music.

10 minutes ago, Skodadriver said:

(2) The scene in Downfall where Magda Goebbels (played by Corrina Harfouch) first drugs then poisons her six children.  It's almost unbearable to watch and one film scene I'll never forget even if I almost wish I hadn't seen it.

Same here Sd,another one is Shindlers List when they clear out the ghetto,the girl hiding under the bed then later he's on horseback and all you notice is the red coat when he sees her...

The last few minutes of 'The Bedford Incident'

The dog-fighting scene set to music towards the end of The Battle of Britain.

The special effects were a bit hokey,but as a young boy,I loved it!

Andrew