1959 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider

Hi,

If you ask people for the Italian car today the answer will be very likely Ferrari or Lamborghini.

In the sixties or earlier, however, the answer would have been completely different. At least up to the beginning seventies Ferraris and Lamborghinis were so expensive and so unreliable that they were (at least in Europe) toys for a few super-rich enthusiasts completely unfit for more than occasional fun rides. Maseratis were much more durable and reliable but on the same high price level.

The Italian marque of those days was Alfa Romeo. Today it is hard to believe that Alfa Romeo built an incredible number of highly desirable and sometimes even breathtaking cars. The steep decline of Alfa Romeo around 1970 was caused by poor quality, incompetent managements, the interference of the Italian government and finally the takeover by Fiat.

One of the most attractive post-war Alfas was the Giulietta/Giulia Spider.

Introduced in 1955 as the 1.3 litre Giulietta it was renamed in 1962 as the 1.6 litre Giulia. With a curb weight of less than 900 kg and up to 112 hp it was a fast car with excellent roadholding.

I built my model from a Protar kit. Probably the same kit was sold by ROG some years later. My memories of the build are very vague. I suppose I built the kit about 15 years ago. I don't remember major issues (opposite to a disastrous Protar kit of the Mercedes W196 GP).

Anyway with some minor improvements the kit made a nice model of a very attractive 1:1 car.

comp_Giulietta00168-vi.jpg
comp_Giulietta00268-vi.jpg
comp_Giulietta00368-vi.jpg
comp_Giulietta00468-vi.jpg
comp_Giulietta00568-vi.jpg
comp_Giulietta00668-vi.jpg

• Like 14

nice work..the shine is lovely as with the light clusters.............and the colors match well

and great to see some appreciation to Alfa's.

Used to own and drive a number of them............and have a 1:1 101 gulia spider similar to this collecting rot .....which I think its sadly going over to the other side.....as its too far gone to rebuild.........

rgds

Thanks for the comments!

On 15.2.2018 at 3:33 PM, delis said:

wow....what a nice kit. I wonder where I can find the same kit.

i am an alfa romeo fun!

After some research I am sure that all these 3 kits are identical except the air scoop (as from 1962) of the Revell/Italeri kits.

Particularly the Revell kits should be obtainable on ebay.

photo1-vi.jpg
photo2-vi.jpg
photo-vi.jpg