My first attempt at Armour (for 35 years anyway!)

Duncan B

I've made a start to the tracks. I did consider chickening out and using the 'rubber band' tracks (which Tamiya Extra Thin cement works on, I've tested it) but decided in for a penny....So, link & length tracks it is then. As will become clear I have very little idea of what I'm doing and have probably made rookie mistakes aplenty (I am worried that I should have started at the drive wheel to make sure the tracks fitted around the sprocket but only realised that half way into the first track). That's 4 of the individual links laid together to the left of the first photo that were bent around the idler wheel once the glue had started to set.

IMG_3482-M.jpg

IMG_3486-M.jpg

IMG_3487-M.jpg

I might not bother doing the top of the track run as it'll be hidden inside the side skirt thingy. I'll start at the rear of the other track to make sure I get it around the drive wheel. a fiddly but enjoyable job. Hopefully it looks better than the rubber band style tracks too (which to be fair are actually quite nicely detailed).

Duncan B

• Like 3

Looks fine to me, I agree about leaving top part because it's hidden, they look  to be quite large so are an easy intro to the joys of link an length tracks. When I build mine I always do the bottom run first then up to the drive sprocket (the most difficult bit and I leave it loose to allow for adjustments) then to the rear idler.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Yorkshire man said:

Looks fine to me, I agree about leaving top part because it's hidden, they look  to be quite large so are an easy intro to the joys of link an length tracks. When I build mine I always do the bottom run first then up to the drive sprocket (the most difficult bit and I leave it loose to allow for adjustments) then to the rear idler.

Thanks for that, there are about 6 single links at each end (which have been 'fun') joining the bigger sections together. I laid them flat, added a wee drop on extra thin and waited 5 minutes then laid them around the idler wheel. I'm planning on doing the same over the drive sprocket. On the second track I'll start at the sprocket end.

Duncan B

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 06/24 said:

Must remember to leave the sprockets free to move next time, top tip that @Yorkshire man

Yes, that realisation came to me as I was setting about the tracks. It’s all a new learning curve but in a fun way (which tells you a lot about my previous learning experiences!)

Duncan B

• Haha 1

I have finally got back to the modelling desk so a little more progress.

I've primed the kit with Mr Surfacer.

IMG_3499-M.jpg

IMG_3500-M.jpg

IMG_3501-M.jpg

I have the new AK Interactive 'Real Colors' Russian Modern AFV paint set in stock so am planning to use the darker of the green colours. I have had a look through the photos of Russian AFVs on BM (I am getting hooked by some of these fantastic looking machines and colour schemes) and the Russian T-72s seem to be in a single dark green.

IMG_3502-M.jpg

Duncan B

• Like 3

1 hour ago, badger said:

Really looking good now!

Very tempted to break one of my modelcollect kits out of the stash.

All the best

Ben

The primer seems to have really made the details pop. I've been reading up on AFV painting techniques this evening, yeah gads what's all that about? It's only a titchy tank so I think I'll get away with a simple paint job but I'm seriously excited about trying some of those techniques on something bigger soon.

Duncan B

14 hours ago, Duncan B said:

The primer seems to have really made the details pop. I've been reading up on AFV painting techniques this evening, yeah gads what's all that about? It's only a titchy tank so I think I'll get away with a simple paint job but I'm seriously excited about trying some of those techniques on something bigger soon.

Duncan B

To be honest I rarely bother with fancy painting techniques on 1/72. I sometimes modulate with a slightly lightened base colour if the tank is one colour overall, but most of my effects are done with pigments and weathering.

All the best

Ben

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, badger said:

To be honest I rarely bother with fancy painting techniques on 1/72. I sometimes modulate with a slightly lightened base colour if the tank is one colour overall, but most of my effects are done with pigments and weathering.

All the best

Ben

I did wonder if it was worth the effort. I’ve gone for a bit of shading under the turret area using up the left over tyre Black from painting the road wheels. 

IMG_3504-338x450.jpg

I’ve opened the AK Interactive Real Colors Modern Russian AFV Set and had a look at the green I was going to use. It looks very Robin Hood and his merry men green!

IMG_3503-600x450.jpg

Does that look right? I was expecting something quite a bit darker. 

I’m ready to start painting the green but will hold off until someone expresses an opinion on that colour. 

Duncan B

• Like 2

Trev says go with green so green it is!

IMG_3507-600x450.jpgIMG_3508-600x450.jpg

The light or the camera has made it look a brighter green than it really is. The paint sprayed without any problems and has dried quickly to a flat finish. I thinned it with Mr Color Thinners. 

I’ll leave it now and will give it a clear gloss coat tomorrow for the wash. 

Duncan B

• Like 6

I really need to break that solid green look up a bit don't I? Is paint fading likely to look over done on a 1/72 scale tank or would I be better just to apply a pin wash to bring out the details?

Duncan B

Looking good - (and very green).

I use washes to add depth and interest to the finish by breaking it up a bit, as well as adding shadows.

I also then use a variety of pigments to add grime, dirt and fading.

All the best 

Ben

• Thanks 1

Wahey.....Bit late, but I found you!  :yahoo:

Looks like you've done a cracking job, colour looks splendid as the base for a three tone camo scheme (I might even have lightened it slightly for scale and to allow some wiggle room with filters):

aa99af0155ca938ff21bdb9062182c64.jpeg

But it's possibly a bit too fresh for the current plain green:

1056025000.jpg

Your highlighting looks nice & subtle now, so it should 'pop' beautifully when you coat it in Klear ready for the pin washes.

Looking forward to the next installment. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Wahey.....Bit late, but I found you!  :yahoo:

Looks like you've done a cracking job, colour looks splendid as the base for a three tone camo scheme (I might even have lightened it slightly for scale and to allow some wiggle room with filters):

aa99af0155ca938ff21bdb9062182c64.jpeg

But it's possibly a bit too fresh for the current plain green:

1056025000.jpg

Your highlighting looks nice & subtle now, so it should 'pop' beautifully when you coat it in Klear ready for the pin washes.

Looking forward to the next installment. 

I do like that 3 tone colour scheme and I think I'm right in saying that the other colours are included in the AK real Color set that I've used.

IMG_3518-L.jpg

I'll stick to the single colour this time though. I have glossed it ready for a pin wash which will get done over the weekend.

IMG_3511-L.jpg

IMG_3517-L.jpg

Duncan B

• Like 1

Coming along nicely!B)

If you want to find out a bit more about the T-72, I can recommend getting Steven Zaloga's Osprey New Vanguard book: LINK. He's also done one on the T-90, which is a development of the T-72.

Mike.:)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Soeren said:

Very nice kit. Great. And as soon as the washes are on and the back matt. It will look fantastic. I am already amazed about the detail in the kit ootb.

But the reference pic ;)

Bild1.jpg

I was actually sitting looking at that photo when you replied! If I wasn't at the stage I'm at already I would do that colour scheme. I guess they didn't use Tamiya masking tape?

Duncan B