Special Hobby Saab Viggen AJ-37

Thit

Good morning from Viet Nam !

This is my lattest build, the Saab Viggen AJ-37 from Special Hobby. This is actuallu a rebox of Tarangus Viggen with the added of color PE for the cockit.

The fit is good overall, consider the nature of limit run kit. There are some inaccuracies lies within the kit, especiall the tiny main wheels which is too thin. I used several plastic sheets to add the thickness then sand to shaped.

Paint use mostly with Gunze Color, weathering done with Mig and chipping here and there with color pencil

The splinter camo is the hardest paint job I have done up to date. Maestor made a paint mask sheet for this camo, however the fit isn't that good and need a lot touch up to follow.

Weapons are Maverick Missles from Eduard, RBF tags, others are from spare box. Pitot tubes from Master Model ( I think biggrin.png )

The Saab Viggen will surely stand out from all the F 16,18 etc thanks to it camo and muscle shape. The build was fun but the splinter camo is something I won't try again biggrin.png

Thanks for reading !

1.jpg
DSC07260.jpg
DSC07262.jpg
DSC07311.jpg
DSC07314.jpg
DSC07319.jpg
DSC07321.jpg
DSC07323.jpg
DSC07324.jpg
DSC07327.jpg
DSC07328.jpg
DSC07330.jpg
DSC07332.jpg
DSC07336.jpg
DSC07347.jpg
  • Like 70
  • Thanks 3

41 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Fantastic, I've just bought a Heller kit, I might stay with the grey scheme after hearing of your trials. :)

Steve.

Steve, how is the heller kit? Am also planning to buy heard it is a bit dated by today standard?

2 minutes ago, tomthounaojam said:

Steve, how is the heller kit? Am also planning to buy heard it is a bit dated by today standard?

Hi Tom, to me it looks basic but decent. Light raised detail, nothing a scuff with some fine paper won't sort out. Have a look at this page, it will give an idea of what is in it. Even though the kit only has markings for a JA-37 & even that not quite correct, the JA was 4" longer (1.5mm) than the AJ/SF & SK37s the kit has bits for all these that Heller has done before & with these Moose Republic decals you'd .be good to go for any of the others I think. I believe there is a resin cockpit available from Maestro (?) but I don't think I'll bother.

Steve

Superb model of the Viggen! She looks just right, with probably the most convincing finish I've ever seen in 1:48th.

There's only one Viggen still flying, the AJS 37 of the Swedish Air Force Historic Flight. Watching her take of with zone three lit is just awesome…

Impressive modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Just bought the Heller one as a result of this thread. £12.99 Inc delivery.

1. I hope that I can do the splinter cammo.

2. So much for me not buying anymore kits :D.

Edited by Harry_the_Spider
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

There's only one Viggen still flying, the AJS 37 of the Swedish Air Force Historic Flight. Watching her take of with zone three lit is just awesome…

Mmmm....

aviggen

Linkoping/Malmen - August 2016

Martin

• Like 3

I've been trying to ignore this kit and the pre-cut masks to make the splinter camo...

This has not helped at all!

Great Job and a brilliant effect!  

I hope mine comes out as well when the time comes.