4 hours ago, BIG X said:

Hey Shellie I hope you've been watching 'a bridge too far' on channel 5 today - loads of Horsa gliders on there... 

I missed that!!!!☹️ I have seen it before,  but a few years ago. I did watch The Battle of Britain Friday night.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shelliecool said:

I missed that!!!!☹️ I have seen it before,  but a few years ago. I did watch The Battle of Britain Friday night.

Battle of Britain is my favourite movie - closely followed by Zulu of course - classic British movies.

• Like 1

On 15/02/2018 at 6:08 PM, Shelliecool said:

Although I was lucky enough to get these as a valentines gift.......

DSC_2769

Needless to say I shall be giving them a try asap!

Hi Shellie,

That is a cool valentines present you had there definitely beats roses and chocolate!!

I had missed this build and just caught up with you now! And I am so glad I did catch up, your work is really nice and I have a huge soft spot for the Horsa. So I’m very much looking forwards to seeing how this one turns out.

Neal

• Thanks 1

Hi Shellie,

Just caught up the build.  I am loving the work on the Stirling, might have to purchase one myself at a later date.  I found my Horsa and took a picture of it to share to give you som inspiration (hopefully).  The decals are from an Hannant's set, but I am very unsure about the size of the roundels on it.  Anyhow enjoy!

39600745345_c7e01d0731_b.jpg

This is one of the few occasions where she is sitting on her wheels properly!

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 3

Two nights work to catch up on, last night I built the very fiddly bomb bay doors, and covers on the underside of the wings. Tonight I spent time filling any gaps in them with water based filler, I have also built the undercarriage doors (closed as wheels are going to be Up).

DSC_2836DSC_2837

I have also carefully masked up the Horsa, using Tamiya tape for curves for the first time. I only purchased the thin reel as it is mega expensive, but I hoped it would help with the camo on some of the kits. It works well (although it doesn't stick amazingly well), and makes defining the curved marks on camo schemes much easier to mask. Tonight I mixed up some Revell dark earth, with thinner and flow improver and set to work. The paint sprayed easily, and having unmasked it, I'm more than happy with the effect. That's it for now. 

DSC_2835

DSC_2834

• Like 6

Having airbrushed the dark earth sections of the Horsa last night, this evening I carefully covered them up and began working on the dark green areas. For this I used Tamiya's flat dark green, which appears pre-thinned, so I simply added a few drops of flow improver and set to work. It sprayed easily and with a good finish.

DSC_2838

DSC_2839

I then airbrushed both sets of aircrafts tyres flat black before cleaning my airbrush and turning my attention to the Stirling. Having built the undercarriage doors last night, I filled any gaps with waterbased filler and cleaned off the access. Then, having fitted the wheels inside, I secured the wing halves together.

DSC_2840

I am pleased with my nights work, and am looking forward to the next part of both builds. Night guys.

• Like 9

Nice work on the camo Shellie, smooth :)

I should have noticed before (sorry) but the general method for spraying camo seems to be to spray the whole model 'the darker colour' (you choose) and then, when it's dry, mask for the other colour and spray.

That way you only need one set of masking - simples!

Too late for the Horsa but you could try it and save some time on the Stirling.

HTH

• Thanks 1

I must admit it's been a while since I've done a model in the night bomber scheme, but the last time I did I went the other way around from Ced's method, starting with the Dark Earth, masked the relevant areas and then sprayed the dark green, then finally masked the uppersurfaces off and painted the Night undersides last. I imagine we all find a way that suits us (and whatever twisted logic we employ) best :) 

The Horsa is looking nice Shellie; and I think if all goes well the Stirling will be spectacular once it is done, you already get the idea of what an imposing beast it was...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CedB said:

I should have noticed before (sorry) but the general method for spraying camo seems to be to spray the whole model 'the darker colour' (you choose) and then, when it's dry, mask for the other colour and spray.

HTH

I have to admit I generally end up painting the underside first, but this is the first night bomber scheme I have attempted. Generally I'm of the paint the lighter shade first, hence thee dark earth and green going on. That way the darker colour can cover any mistakes. Thanks for your advice, I may attempt the Stirling the opposite way around. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CedB said:

HTH

Hang on one second........do you guys not mask the first camo area you paint when you spray the next, and do it with the first coat exposed???!!

Enjoyed reading through this with  a cuppa and the howling blizzard outside the window Michelle! Great work so far on both kit's it's

got my thinking I might have a crack at the Stirling one day,look forward to tagging along with the rest of the build.

• Thanks 1

These are coming together nicely. Looking forward to watching them progress into stunning replicas!

With regard to painting camouflage I usually first paint the under side colour, when dry mask off and spray the lighter top colour overall then when that is dry mask the pattern covering what I want to remain the lighter colour then spray the darker colour. When dry remove all masking that way I only mask twice, once for the underside once for the top pattern.  

Roger

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Shelliecool said:

Hang on one second........do you guys not mask the first camo area you paint when you spray the next

I usually do an overall coat on the entire topside of the lighter uppersurface colour then mask the bits I don't want the second, darker uppersurface colour on, if you see what I mean? :think:

In other words, yes, I think :D

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Shelliecool said:

Hang on one second........do you guys not mask the first camo area you paint when you spray the next, and do it with the first coat exposed???!!

Nope, the first colour needs NO masking - as Stew says, paint the WHOLE of the top surface one colour, then mask the pattern, then spray the second colour.

The underside can be done either first (I do it this way for light colours) or last - either way the tape needs to be well burnished, especially into panel lines. Like this:

Black primer all over (in this case for 'black-basing' which let's you vary the top coat 'coverage' for some variation):

39030557044_2405302c00_n.jpg

Then spray the bottom:

25869895218_7e608e750b_n.jpg

Then mask the bottom and a complete 'first colour' top coat:

38860565595_d7dcfb7258_n.jpg

Then mask the second colour and spray:

24893036037_0424cb0bed_n.jpg

Of course, for the night bomber scheme, you could cheat and use Stynylrez black primer over the whole thing first (I love the stuff) and not bother with the underside at all :whistle:

HTH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So my next question is......do I need to add this......

If its a training aircraft probably not but if your Horsa is on operations , yes. Actually the landing skid (which is what this is) is another area that Italeri didn't quite get right. Instaed of those two struts there should be a large shock absorber made up of rubber blocks with two steadying strut to the side. 

• Thanks 1

So the more I looked at it the more it annoyed me, and even though I hadn't planned to scratch build I decided to adapt the skid with the small amount of spares I had to hand. It's no where near 100% accurate, but looks a bit more like the pictures..................... I think, hope!

DSC_2855

DSC_2856

• Like 5