P-51D-5 'Lou IV' 1/72

"...basically out of the box but with fin fillet removed, wing panels puttied, canopy rails added, elevator mass balances scribed, and a rear view mirror scrounged."

With a little bit of modelling panache added, to make it all look just right.

• Like 1

Beautiful looking model Justin,

I'm gonna sidestep the whole Blue vs. Dk. Green debate. I think filling in the lines on the wing does wonders for that model, as does going with a largely painted colour scheme.

72nd scale is best suited for paint schemes in my view. I've gone in and super detailed cockpits, engines, etc. but in my view most people won't see it and its hard on the eyesight.

Cant wait to see your next effort!

-d-

• Like 1

This is really a lovely Mustang! Many thumbs up!

I was so impressed by the P-51B in your last shot that I went back and found that build thread, too. WOW—I think you have cracked the code on a proper 1/72 razorback! That is the most convincing 1/72 P-51B I’ve ever seen, period.

Both of them are just knockout builds.

• Like 2

On 14/02/2018 at 8:23 AM, ian1485 said:

Love this! The sheen and the colours look just right. Also, thanks for the photos and link - I was surprised on one of the photos of the real aircraft how poorly fitting some of the panels on the nose were.

Re green or blue - definately green. I've read the Dana Bell article and this seems really different to debates on things such as the tone/origin etc of the blue spitfires on Malta which are based on evidence. Dana Bell seems to base his case on little more than wishful thinking (sorry, controversial I know!). Some greens are slightly more blue anyway, an overpaint of some areas in a different green, an overpaint in a poorly mixed green, those on the squadron insist they were green. The evidence is pretty conclusive, but at the end of the day, people can paint their models in whatever colour they like - whatever makes them happy!

Personally I’ve always gone with Michael J Bowyer’s first hand eye witness notes.....

• Like 1