Airfix Fieseler Storch

AdrianMF

Hello All,

I'm nearly finished on a pair of Bristols (titter ye not - a Blenheim (MPM) and a 188 (vac)) and I have dragged out a bargain bin Airfix Storch, with "Tomy" secondary branding. The moulding quality looks terrible: all the struttery looks misshapen and wobbly, and the clear parts are a combination of short shot (windscreen) and roughly moulded. Not anyone's finest hour. Although I remember building it as a kid and thinking it was pretty good so it must have had better days.

I jumped straight in: the cockpit (which isn't bad for 1967 Airfix) and the canopy (minus the short shot windscreen). I wanted a strong canopy to hang the wings off, so I used Tamika extra thin, which promptly ran everywhere! Here it is after an hour's remedial polishing with sanding sticks and toothpaste:

IMG_7709.jpg

You can see the two halves of the windscreen below. I have worked out a paper pattern for some folded acetate to replace this. You can also see how the canopy is way too low for the fuselage :( - I'm hoping it will be more fun when I get past the clear bits!

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 10

3 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

The moulding quality looks terrible: all the struttery looks misshapen and wobbly, and the clear parts are a combination of short shot (windscreen) and roughly moulded.

Excellent that's what I like to hear, but in the nicest possible up for a challenge sort of way - no schadenfreude intended :smile: I built this kit in my youth too, and would like a Storch for the cabinet. Will follow with interest.

• Like 1

Not to forget the Academy offering, but the ribs on the wings look grossly overdone.

Adrian, sometime, having fun comes at a price...

Cheers

JR

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Patrick Martin said:

Is this the kit with the door on the wrong side?

PM

I f you mean the Academy Storch, no, the door is on the right (and correct) side.

I was not aware of any Storch with the door on the wrong side. 

18 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

no schadenfreude intended :smile:

I think you mean :devil:! You're right of course, if it just worked it would be so-o-oo boring...

18 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Is the airfix the only game in 1/72nd ?

As per @JOHN W there is also Heller (which I have, much nicer kit IMHO from looking at the parts) and Academy @jean, which gives you a free Kubelwagen to go with it and is said to be better. Plus whatever reboxings there have been (scalemates.com is your friend here).

16 hours ago, Patrick Martin said:

door on the wrong side?

23 minutes ago, jean said:

not aware of any Storch with the door on the wrong side

Here's the Airfix version, on the left. At least the door is raised detail, which saves me a bit of filler. I'm sure I will be needing it later...

IMG_7710.jpg

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 5

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

and Academy @jean, which gives you a free Kubelwagen to go with it and is said to be better. 

I must have bough the cheap version, as I sure did not find any Kubelwagen in the box... So check your boxing if you really want something with a steering wheel to build.

JR

• Like 1

I tried to build this kit when I was about 11 and it scarred me - scarred me I tell ya! Shame because I've always liked the Storch. I'm sure you will make a little masterpiece out of it Adrian, looking forward to seeing your progress :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Haha 1

Ah, nostalgia's not what it used to be eh?

I've always loved the Storch too and found an SMER kit that Scalemates says is a re-box of the 1976 Heller.

I built it as the captured Storch used by Air Vice Marshal Harry Broadhurst and used to ferry Churchill around Europe. Some helpful reference shots in that thread.

For some reason it rotates on the ceiling giving me continual pleasure thinking 'Where is Chruchill going today?'. Little things...

You're quite right to want a strong canopy for the wings to hang off and getting everything aligned is a PAIN but worth it IMHO.

Following with interest Adrian :)

• Like 1