Hello from Manchester

mikey builder

Hi, Mike from Manchester here, recently got back into model making after 35 ish year break...

Bought a 1/48 Lanc, as my Grandad built them at Avroes in Chadderton, and Manchester, I actually live in Chadderton very near the old BA Avro site. 

I've since decided to build a WW2 diorama, now added a Spitfire and a Hurricane, ground crew, fuel truck, all being built at once!

Then I saw a cheap 1/48 Catalina, bought that, then treated myself to the big Airfix Bentley Blower kit. Just added a very rare Tamiya 1/6 Kawasaki Z1300, oh yes also got HMS Victory and Titanic waiting..and a modern Suzuki Katana and a Ferrari 360... :D

Not buying any new stuff now, I'm slowly building the WW2 scene now, I have cut out the side of the Lanc cockpit as you can't see all the extra detail I've put in :o

I have just one question: where can I buy the smallest acrylic paint brush? Struggling to paint the parachute harness straps etc. on the 1/48 figures

Edited by mikey builder
  • Like 1

Hello and welcome from the other end of the M56! Your stash is already impressive :D

As for brushes, the general rule is to buy the best you can afford and to look after them. Artist shops or even places like The Works will supply your needs. (There are apparently acrylic specific brushes). The latter will be cheaper and the quality not as good, but look after them and you should be ok.

By using acrylic, a gentle massaging in warm soapy water (then rinsed) should keep them in decent condition. No doubt more serious modelled will be able to give more tips.

Looking forward to seeing your builds.

Trevor

Thanks for the replies :D

I've got a good few brushes but they aren't tiny: I bought a set of detail brushes that are supposed to be 5/0 to 20/0, but they are basically the same...think they are just cheapo ones. I'm looking at Sable 20/0 if anyone knows a decent brand

I've recently bought a complete kit off a guy who was giving up, got hundreds of paints of all makes, 3 airbrushes including an Iwata Hi-Line, indoor compressor, cleaning tank, glues, the lot...everything I could ever need for ever, just learning to use the airbrushes now!