Vought F4U Corsair - Frog 1/72

Another blast from the dim and distant past. 

This is the FROG model of the Vought F4U Corsair. 

The kit was originally released in the early 1970s and by modern standards is extremely basic. I think in total it has around 40 parts, and some of them are optional. Like all Frog kits, however, it goes together quite well. To keep the build simple and quick,  I didn't add any modern accessories. It's more or less straight out of the box. The only concession to modernity are the decals which are from an Xtradecal sheet. The original sheet had yellowed somewhat although it does look usable.  

The original kit came with markings for two Royal New Zealand Air Force Corsairs. Even though I didn't use the kit decals, I chose this interesting RNZAF example which is included on the Xtradecal sheet. It's essentially a "cut & shut" job. You will see that the front half of the aeroplane is in a different colour scheme to the back half. This is because it is made up from the remains of two airframes which had been actually written off in accidents. However, there was sufficient left intact to assemble a new hybrid aeroplane from the bits. I don't think it would get approval today but the squadron was based at Gudalcanal at the time (end of 1944) so they more or less had to make do and mend as best they could. 

8oN8RPZl.jpg

ix6Wrmgx.jpg

84XA0Qvn.jpg

uv23UAjk.jpg

dUrZ5KKW.jpg

uQ9jbbSO.jpg

• Like 15

Thanks. I like these old kits with their low parts count. I always have to take a break from modelling from mid November to the end of January because of work commitments. Models like this are great for getting back into the swing of things.

Good looking Corsair 👍 ... Interesting background, my research a year or two ago said this aircraft is a post war Repaint that was only partially completed ? I like your background better though. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

I'm going on what it says on the Xtradecal sheet. I did have a look on the Internet to see if I could find photos of the actual aircraft but I couldn't find anything.

Edited by Eric Mc