Airfix Hawker Hurricane 1/48

Colin W

Hi Guys,

Not much progress on this last week as work got in the way. I was in Vietnam all last week so no modelling time!

Anyhow the Hurricane has suddenly leaped forwards over the last few days..

Final paint on over the weekend and a bit of shading plus the pre-made undercarriage tonight

IMG_0593

I painted the yellow leading edges rather than use the decals but I will use the decal for the red gun covers as this is more representative.

IMG_0594

Hook and 3 wheels on the bottom. Light panel highlights and shading added before the first coat of future. It still looks too clean!

IMG_0595

Hope to finish this in the next 2 weeks to start the 100 years RAF Group Build Spitfire.

Colin

• Like 9

Hi Colin,

The Sea Hurricane is looking good so far, nice finish on the paint work. 

There are a couple of things not in the box that your Sea Hurricane needs though. 

• The Pilot needs a head rest  which at its simplest is basically a leather covered cylinder on the headrest but if you really want to get into it had a Ply wood frame behind it.  It wasn't in the Hurricane I but it was in the Sea Hurricane. 
  • You also need the Oil Collector ring on the nose just aft of the spinner which is a thin part circle of metal which I think was slightly domed forwards to stop oil from spraying on the windscreen (google is your friend).  Neither of these parts are in the box - so its not that you missed them - they are just not there..

They are small changes but they do call the aircraft out as a Sea Hurricane..

• Like 1

Cheers Grey

Head rest and oil collector to be fitted as noted.

Troy mentioned the oil collector but the head rest is clearly missing so an easy retro fit,

Thanks for pointing it out.

Colin

• Like 1

Another weekend of Hawker building. After finishing most of the construction I have applied the first coat of Future, added the main insignias and sealed wioth a second coat. Still glossy but I'll matt it down once all the decals are on. 

IMG_0656

IMG_0655

IMG_0657

Our printer has gone to the great printer mountain in China after entering self destruct mode so I've not been able to print the serials. Job for the next week to buy a new printer.

Just a few minor bits to add and a light weathering to complete.

Colin

• Like 9

On 13/3/2018 at 16:36, Grey Beema said:

There are a couple of things not in the box that your Sea Hurricane needs though. 

• The Pilot needs a head rest  which at its simplest is basically a leather covered cylinder on the headrest but if you really want to get into it had a Ply wood frame behind it.  It wasn't in the Hurricane I but it was in the Sea Hurricane. 
  • You also need the Oil Collector ring on the nose just aft of the spinner which is a thin part circle of metal which I think was slightly domed forwards to stop oil from spraying on the windscreen (google is your friend).  Neither of these parts are in the box - so its not that you missed them - they are just not there..

They are small changes but they do call the aircraft out as a Sea Hurricane..

both of these details are seen here

note also the catapult spools by the radiator.

• Like 1

Thanks Troy

I have done the head rest and oil collection disc so no worries there. I was wondering whether there were any catapult connection points but now you point them out they're obvious. I'll add these when I get chance. There are a couple of odd bits on the sprues with no home and these were what made me think about catapult attachments. I'll see if I can use them. 

Colin 

Cheers . 

Final post now as she's basically finished.

I don't usually add rigging wires as I move often and this limits the damage when they get broken. I used the kit scheme with the identity changed to represent the current Shuttleworth Identity. My wife's grandfather was killed Diego Suarez 1943 so I had to pick this scheme.

Main pics are in the gallery but a few more here.

Last construction picture with the oil collector and and head rest added. Just the canopy to add here. The oil collector is a 1/48 Hawker Hunter Main wheel half well modified.

IMG_0659

IMG_0667

IMG_0670

IMG_0679

Airfix MWD of course to add a bit of interest.

Thanks for the suggestions and comments posted during the build.

Cheers

Colin

• Like 7

Thanks for the nice comments.

Grey

The gun covers actually fit quite well so can be put in place. I figured that the navy would have expected to remove them rather than just leaving them on the wing to be blown away? 

I'll take some more pics next time I have the camera out.

Colin 

Just clearing my bench for the next project and I came across part numbers 41 and 42 again. These look a lot like the catapult spools on the Shuttleworth Hurricane. There is no mention on the instructions of where these go but on the painting sheet you can see them either side of the radiator. I have added these by drilling a 0.3mm hole either side of the widest part of the radiator in line with the panel. The 2 parts fit perfectly so I reckon this is an error on the instructions.

If you are reading this before building the kit then its probably better to drill the holes at step 43 before you add the radiator.

IMG_0694

There they are added. On the Shuttleworth machine they are red but I figured they would be well oiled and greased if in use so painted the truss in sky and the wheels in metallic grey.

Now finished

Colin

Edited by Colin W
Picture
  • Like 1