Needing recommendations for paints for beginners

Duncan B

This ties in with my thread on the AK Interactive WW1 paint sets. I’d like to know what would be good paints (enamels or acrylic) for a beginner to brush paint WW1 subjects with?

Any brand recommendations or tips gratefully received. (Are the AK sets any good for brush painting?)

Duncan B

Haven't tried AK paints, but  seen it stated they behave like Tamiya brand.   In fact one person said they brush even better out of the bottle ... but it would be good to see a few more comments before pulling the trigger on them.

Also check out this video review, about halfway through -

regards,

Jack

• Thanks 1

I'd have to say Humbrol enamels all the way but then I use them for everything. There's enough range that's there's virtually an out of a tin match for everything even down to British clear doped linen and German. And there's even enough range with greens/browns and olives that you can reasonably use a straight Humbrol tin for PC-10 and no one can really argue it.

Sometimes the oldies just can't be beat.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

I'd have to say Humbrol enamels all the way but then I use them for everything. There's enough range that's there's virtually an out of a tin match for everything even down to British clear doped linen and German. And there's even enough range with greens/browns and olives that you can reasonably use a straight Humbrol tin for PC-10 and no one can really argue it.

Sometimes the oldies just can't be beat.

I'm not sure if my Mate is wanting acrylics or enamels so all feedback is useful, thanks.

Duncan B

I'd say you can't go wrong with Colourcoats -- they already have a dedicated WWI range, so the colours are all matched and ready, and they perform well. The drying time of enamels gives a man time for reflection, as well. :pipe:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Procopius said:

The drying time of enamels gives a man time for reflection, as well. :pipe:

My sentiments exactly. Nothing like finishing up painting and thinking, "well there's nothing more that can be done now, I might as well pour myself a large one and consider the next plan of attack." And yes that pipe smiley-thingey sums it up nicely :pipe:

Everybody is in such an awful rush now, it's not healthy I tell you.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Colourcoats are (on) the list of candidates for enamels along with the AK Interactive if he decides to go down the acrylic route. I still need to find out if the AK paint brushed ok but I have some of the WW1 German colours which I can test so can answer that one myself.

Duncan B

You might have to do some colour matching ( might, what am I saying ? - will defo have too!) but the Games Workshop Citadel acrylics brush very well, are readily available, and dry quickly and smoothly. You can thin them with Future/ pledge/ klear/ quick shine to any consistency to thin a tad for large scale brushing or for washes too.

I used them on my Hannover CI-II for the lozenge, and my Albatross D-Va for interior colours. 

Cheers

Jonners 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Jon Kunac-Tabinor said:

You might have to do some colour matching ( might, what am I saying ? - will defo have too!) but the Games Workshop Citadel acrylics brush very well, are readily available, and dry quickly and smoothly. You can thin them with Future/ pledge/ klear/ quick shine to any consistency to thin a tad for large scale brushing or for washes too.

I used them on my Hannover CI-II for the lozenge, and my Albatross D-Va for interior colours. 

Cheers

Jonners 

That's interesting, I hadn't thought about Games Workshop paints but they are ideal for beginners and readily available. I doubt absolute colour correctness is a top priority as he hasn't built a kit since childhood and is starting off with an Eduard SE.5A so a steep learning curve for him despite the well engineered kit. Thanks Jonners, I'll add them to the candidates.

Duncan B

Ouch, what have I let myself in for, first I have opened the SE.5a :worry: didnt realise i was building a replica, wow how things have changed.  Secondly PAINT aghhhhh so much choice for a few colours :rage:.  Thanks Black Mike :swear:

Thanks guys for all the suggestions i am sure i will fathom it out

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Best of luck Auch Beasty. Just get stuck in and go from there. As the bishop said to the actress, "the best way to improve my dear is by doing it lots."

As it's an SE5a, here's what I'd use if I was making it easy with not mixing paints but just using out of the tin paint, all Humbrol by the way...

155 for the PC10 - the overall green/brown colour

121 for the clear doped linen - the cream coloured undersurfaces

85 for the Aldis sight and parts of the engine - long black cylinder in front of the pilot's windscreen

56, 191 and 53 - for various metals

A medium grey for the tyres so something like 106 to 32

For the wooden components you need to simulate two types of wood: one dark; the other light. To do this use your 121 as a base and then when it is dry you use:

For dark wood use some artist's oil colour with either raw umber, burnt umber, or burnt sienna depending on the shade you want (you need to experiment here but it's a fun process and if you search online you'll find many tutorials on how to do this).

And for light wood I usually use raw sienna over the 121

For the leather round the top of the cockpit any browny red shade will do.

I've probably forgotten something but that's a start.

Cheers,

Tim

Edited by Smithy

4 hours ago, Auch Beasty said:

Ouch, what have I let myself in for, first I have opened the SE.5a :worry: didnt realise i was building a replica, wow how things have changed.  Secondly PAINT aghhhhh so much choice for a few colours :rage:.  Thanks Black Mike :swear:

Thanks guys for all the suggestions i am sure i will fathom it out

Ah would this be the Lesser spotted Auchinblae Beastie? Nice of you to join us :welcome:

Lots of great advice to found on here and everybody is happy to help out a fellow plastic mangler.

Duncan B (Bill to you, oh this is going to get confusing haha!)