More Harrier Questions ?

Corsairfoxfouruncle

Hello all I have a question pertaining to Av-8b Night attack harriers. Im not super keen on the late paintschemes for harriers. I will do mine in the proper camouflage if no other options are available. My question is this did the early night attack harriers ever use the Grey colored early camouflage similar to the grey-green camouflage of the Av-8a’s. I have found some grainy photo’s and renditions showing this. However nothing definite ? It would have been two/three tone grey pattern that looked like this. 

GT7cVVE.jpg

This is of course showing the two grey/green early camouflage. But im looking for something like this. Which is complete wrap around. 

Mv1yBMw.jpg

Second does anyone know if its easy or hard to backdate this to a standard early Av-8b. Thanks in advance. These ⬆️ Have been covered. 

🔺new question ? Hello more questions can USMC Harriers use/carry Aim-9X sidewinders or AMRAAM’s ?

Dennis

P.S. - all ownership belongs to the original owners. Im just using this for informational use. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

The top image you have posted is from the Mil Std publication covering all US Navy/Marine Corp aircraft and their colour schemes/specified finishes etc. Although it specifies light grey lower surfaces, very few AV-8B's wore that. Instead they were finished in the wraparound scheme of dark grey and green FS36099 and 34064. Some of the development aircraft and early production batch did wear the three colour scheme but it didn't last long before being replaced. The AV-8B Night Attack emerged too late to see the 3 colour scheme and I have only ever seen the early ones in the wraparound green/grey scheme. Too confuse things a little, the profiles you have shown are in the two tone grey schemes seen during the first Gulf War of which there were a couple of variations. Unfortunately I don't have my refs to hand to give the FS no's for these, hopefully someone will come up with those shortly.

As to whether it easy to backdate to an early AV-8B, it depends on which kit you intend to use and what scale you intend to work in.

Mark.

Edited by Harry Lime
adding backdating info
  • Thanks 1

Other than the very early ones in Grey/green wrap round, the NAs only appeared in the 3 gray Harrier Tectical scheme. None were operational during the Gilf War, so none got the 2 gray wrap around.

backdating an NA to a vanilla B depends on what kit you have, but in general the difgiculty is the LERX. Other than the early Grey/green ones, the majority of NAs had 100% lerx, where as the B had the smaller 65% version.

if your kit has the 65 or both, it’s simply a case of removing the FLIR bump on the nose, shortening the fin root intake and not fitting the upper fuselage flare packs (check photos for that). There may be other small changes, but the LERX is the biggie 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ok thanks guys ... looks like im doing the 3-tone grey scheme from the later 1990’s. If it was a simple back date i would do it, however i dont feel like messing with the Lerx. 

Dennis

Dennis,

Depends on the base kit you intend to use. Although the Hasegawa kits in 1/72 and 1/48 come with one size of LERX, you can get the replacement quite easily in resin (Despite having both kits in the stash, I forget which way round it is, i.e. if the kit comes with 65% LERX you can get the 100% as a drop fit resin replacement or vice versa). The Airfix new tool Harrier GR7/9 in 1/72 comes with both in the box and with some mods can be done up as an AV-8B.

Just to be clear, the AV-8B NA refers to a specific sub-type with the IR gubbins in the small hump on the top of the nose, seen here.

Edited by Harry Lime
to add links

Thanks for answering Harry. I have the 1/48 Hasegawa kit # 07234. I cant afford the Resin replacements so will just build the kit as is. I was hoping to build it with a different camouflage pattern other than whats in the kits 3-tone grey options(just not inspired by them). I may have found a Night attack variant in “Blacksheep” markings in the two tone Green/Grey scheme. I believe it to be either an anniversary scheme or a very early N/A version as the nose does have the proper equipment and the Flare/Chaff dispensers are on the upper fuselage near the Vertical Stabilizer. 

Dennis,

It will have been one of the very early AV-8B NA's, VMA-214 did operate them in the wraparound grey/green scheme, see here for one image. If you click here and scroll down, you'll find another couple of colour and B+W images of wraparound schemed AV-8B NA's.

From looking at the kit reviews for that particular catalogue number, it does come with the 100% LERX which I think isn't right for an early machine, you would need the 65% LERX. However, someone with the recent Eduard reboxing of the Hasegawa kit may have the relevant part from sprue K going spare if you chance an ask in the 'Wanted' section. The only thing you'd need then would be the black stencils and national markings and you're good to go. I'm pretty sure Microscale/Superscale would be your friends here, if not then another ask for the old Monogram kit sheet might yield the necessary markings.

Mark.

Edited by Harry Lime
adding kit info. adding another pic link.
  • Thanks 1

Ok I’ve found this on Raytheon’s own webpage. And i qoute ...

The AIM-9X Sidewinder™ missile is the most advanced infrared-tracking, short-range air-to-air and surface-to-air missile in the world. It is configured for easy installation on a wide range of modern aircraft, including the F-15, F-16, F/A-18 and F-4 fighters; A-4, A-6 and AV-8B attack aircraft; and the AH-1 helicopter. Allied aircraft configured for AIM-9X Sidewinder missiles include the Tornado, the JA-37 Viggen and the Sea Harrier.”

So maybe that answers part of my question ? Are there really still any Sea Harriers flying ?