Trumpeter 1/72 F-105D Thunderchief

Brad

The Trumpeter kit isn't too bad. Fit is pretty good, detail adequate and the decals settle own nicely. One negative about the kit is the weapons. You get 3 drop tanks, more than a few Mk 83's, two MER's and two AGM-12's. It's is a little bit limiting as early in Rolling Thunder, thuds normally carried 6 Mk 117 bombs on an MER on the center line mount, but you get no centerline weapons mount either. For aircraft venturing into the more dangerous RP's, a QRC-160 jamming pod and AIM-9B were carried for self defense, neither of these are included. Thus I used Hasegawa weapons sets and scratch built a center line mount for the MER.

This aircraft, 61-0132 was flown by 1st LT David Waldrop III on his double MiG killing mission over the Yen Vien Rail Marshaling Yards on August 23rd 1967. He claimed and was initially credited with gunning down two MiG 17's, although later on his second kill was disallowed. Waldrop would complete 100 missions over North Vietnam.

KGpYdUP.jpg

J4u8Ql3.jpg

4ts67cj.jpg

pMK2Mv7.jpg

e38COGf.jpg

4s4txmz.jpg

• Like 36

Beautiful (is that a bit of an oxymoron?) Thud! I've always loved the brutish looks of the F-105. So the Trumpeter kit is a decent kit - looks like another to add to my ever-growing need/like to have list. Re the weapons, I have two of the Hasegawa sets, so no worries there.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Additional comment added.
  • Like 1

One of the most brutish USAF plane ever!!!

Beautifully built and painted!

Congrats

JR

• Like 1

Very nice. From when the US operated machines that required a real man holding the control column with one hand and the throttle quadrant with the other ;).  One of my fave machines.

One comment - the tan looks too dark. Otherwise a beauty :).

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

One comment - the tan looks too dark. Otherwise a beauty :).

Martin

Ah that's ok, it got a bit darker with gloss and matt coats, it's Humbrol 118 which is the recommended colour. You didn't pick the RLM 83 for the dark green though lol....I ran out of USAF dark green. :)

Very good result! My congratulations!

I have this in my stash too - so inspires to unseal it. And from looking at the complete models - I believe SEA camo is my chioce too since it covers Trumpy's rivets quite well. Not sure how I deal with these rivets on RA-5 which is light grey/white and had a very smooth finish in reality.

• Like 1