S&M Models 1/72 Canberra B2 / RAAF Mk20

Wilks

As I've put the decals on particularly the dark blue ones it looks like it belongs to RAF Air Transport Command!  

The 6 Sqn Lightening flash on the fin is the wrong color and will need to be painted. I applied the decal to give me as close to accurate a shape as possible to mask the outline. I'll hit it with some Future before finding a suitable Gunze color to replicate it. 

The lightening bolt is from the Aussie Decal sheet. It had to be trimmed to fit by removing about 3mm off the bottom with a sharp knife prior to soaking in water.

Surveying my other Canberra decals there are no lightning bolts that are all that accurate. Most are too fat and squashed. Also they don't seem to lean back far enough. The old Aussie Decals were the closest.

I did read somewhere that Ronin Decals Australia are in the midst of producing a set which given how accurate they normally are should fit the bill better than those existing in our collections.

25473717607_9a34aa9735_z.jpg

Back to decaling...

• Like 2

It is looking very good Wilks. What are your overall thought about the kit? I have one on my wish list but would ike your opinion? You haven’t really covered the build side of the kit so it would be appreciated if you could let us know how that went.

Thanks and keep up the good work.

Neal

1 hour ago, NealParkes said:

It is looking very good Wilks. What are your overall thought about the kit? I have one on my wish list but would ike your opinion? You haven’t really covered the build side of the kit so it would be appreciated if you could let us know how that went.

Thanks and keep up the good work.

Neal

Many thanks Gary and Neal.

Neal, I really like the kit and humbly recommend it to you.  I covered the build side in a lot more detail on the T4 I finished earlier this year.

There are no real vices to the build. Where you will spend a little time is on the join of the clear parts to the fuselage. You'll need to trim the pilot instrument panel for it to close. I've approached filling the join two different ways now and will revert to the first and fill with super glue going forward. Less prone to shrinking which makes for less effort. Be sure to cover the canopy with tape...

Cheers,

AGW..

Managed to finish her this afternoon. I am rather pleased with the result and are very happy to add another Canberra to the cabinet.

References for 6Sqn Canberras of this scheme and era were very difficult to find. I only ended up with two. All were very clean airframes so not a great deal of weathering added to this one.

25613880687_b116be7d83_z.jpg

38674431420_169d0d3a8c_z.jpg

38674431720_f3cf9689cc_z.jpg

40441907902_18931d2977_z.jpg

25613843107_0367e65ffe_z.jpg

25613843147_82e36e10a1_z.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4770/25613843157_f16b2df3e7_z.jpg[/img

38674457890_5a18b9848e_z.jpg

40441908352_ed26e257e4_z.jpg

Cheers,

AGW..

• Like 3

Extremely impressive Antoney, two lovely looking Canberra’s in two very eye catching schemes. I’m now wondering how many more RAAF Canberra’s you have planned as there’s still the camo schemes and possibly a few others left to do? 

Cheers.. Dave