Then there were two reasons.......

mitchem

...why I'm having to abstain from this STGB. All of them based are based on the fact that I completely forgot about this STGB. Instead, I decided to have a go at doing my own 737 STGB last year - Huge mistake !

I started three 737s and they pretty much took me to the wall and destroyed my mojo.

1. Airfix 737-200 : I carved out the undercarriage bays and scratch-built deeper versions. Airfix engines were modified with plastic and milliput and the fuselage was rescribed. With the "easy" bit over Is started the paint process and Xtracolor's Boeing Grey has nearly destroyed my will to live. Three tins of the stuff and they're all different shades - only noticeable when applied to the model. Strip, repaint, strip, repaint, and then couldn't be bothered to strip again because the stuff never dries. I'm sure the paint would make an ideal skin-moisturiser ! Anyway, after months of torment it's on the verge of being completed so you'll just have to keep your eyes on RFI 
  2. Zvezda 737-800 :  Joined the fuselage halves together, added the cockpit transparency and then beat the join into submission with 240 grit. Wing bits have been glued together but they haven't been attached to the fuselage. Project has run aground because I'm a bit suspicious about trying to match the paint to the decals.
  3. Revell 737-700 : This has been a real beaut ! Cut the fuselage down and rejoined them. Added the Braz winglets and faired them in. Broke them off, added them again and faired them in. Broke them off, added them again (this time with pins) and then faired them in, Broke them........... (you can see where I'm going with this). Good news is that I eventually got them into a position where I could test the decals against them, They're oversize by some way, so a bit of nifty filing and sanding helped me to........break them off again. I've used the Braz engines on this and I'm liking the method that Jeff used in his Camair 737-700. Unfortunately mine ended up with nasty steps on the top where they join onto the leading edges. Some judicious use of Milliput and more filing and sanding and this is where I currently am :

yMcicEI.jpg

Of the three, I think the 737-800 may just be eligible for the STGB, but with my recent track record of model-building, the 6th of May is too close for comfort for my liking.

On a positive note, all of the other STGB builds are proving to be really inspirational, so please keep up the good work.

Best Regards

Mike

Oh sorry to read of your mojo killing 737 builds. I'm currently fighting off a lack of mojo I've had since October last year where I've not had the interest to start a new model let alone finish any that are stacked on the shelf.  But please keep at it, I'd love to see your 737 here with ours - I know they're started but perhaps they could be allowed in. 

Edited to add, I use cellulose thinners to thin Xtracolor and find that it dries within a day if not sooner. Haven't tried Mr Color Levelling Thinner.

What colours have you chosen for each model?

Jeff

Edited by pinky coffeeboat
Adding something about Xtracolor
  • Like 1

Mike, for the sake of your own sanity and wellbeing can I suggest you forget about Xtracolor Boeing Gray? I eventually grew to hate the stuff and never want to see it again for the rest of my life.

The next time you're painting a Boeing pop into your nearest Halfords and pick up a can of their Racking Grey.  You should find it shelved with the workshop paints rather than the car colours.  It's very close to FS 16515 which I believe in turn is a very close match to real Boeing Gray.  It seems to spray well from the can but I always decant it into my airbrush and apply it over Halfords Grey Primer.  It gives a decently smooth finish and dries in about 15 minutes.  Not a perfect mojo-restorer (there's no such thing) but a different world from inconsistent, never-drying Xtracolor

• Like 3

Thanks for the support and the invitation to come in out of the cold. I'll keep plodding on but I won't be submitting photos into the 737 SGTB gallery as they've all violated the 25% or less as a starting point rule :

Aerolineas Argentinas 737-800 :

p05g2thl.jpg

ECAir 737-700 :

lR2jPJDl.jpg

...and Aerolineas Argentinas 737-200 (....the Xtracolor Boeing Grey is still drying...)

SexudALl.jpg

I'm keen on getting these off the bench asap as I've been asked to build three DC-8s - all "Out of Africa" (but currently feeling more like out of the frying pan and into another frying pan) 

Best Regards

mike

• Like 4

Thanks to all of the 737 builds going on, I've been inspired to crack on with my shelf of doom relics.

Paint eventually dried (sort of) on my Aerolineas Argentinas 737-200, so I glued the model to the undercarriage and called it quits. (If only it was that easy :))

sJaAL6el.jpg

I'll post some other pics on RFI.

Back to the bench now to see if I can knock another one off.

Mike

• Like 5

Well that's pretty - really liking that one! And pleased you've found the drive to finish it - looking forward to the others now!

ATB

Rick

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stringbag said:

Figuratively speaking I hope Mike?

Chris

Cheers Chris - I'm liking the thought process : Introduce time limits into my model-building (kind of like speed-chess) and if I can't finish them in the time allocated, they'll get knocked off the table and into the bin. :D