Welsh Models 737-400 Alaskan

BetaSingh

Dear esteemed Britmodellers,

I have just gotten a Welsh Models Alaskan 737-400 for a tenner, but I am wondering what I would need to do to convert this into a 737 NG (737-700 or 737-800) aircraft in the old Alaskan livery. The decals I have are for a 737-400, and I don’t really want to modify these. Furthermore, I have some spare winglets that would fit the 737. Any advice on such a ‘conversion’ for a newbie like me would be greatly appreciated.

BetaSingh

Hi Betasingh,

If what you have is a 737-400, it won't convert to a 600 or 700 very easily, the wings, tail & engines are very different. A Revell or Zvezda 737-800 would be a better start point.

(737-200, 300, 400, and 500 are the 'classic'. the 600, 700,800 & 900 the 'New Generation'.

But if your decals are for a 400 anyway, why not just build it like that?

Cheers

John

Hi Betasingh,

The 737NGs (-600/-700/-800/-900) while visually similar to the earlier 'Classic' versions are quite different in almost all respects. For example the fuselages are different lengths - 119ft 5in for the -400 and 129ft 6in for the -800. The wings, stabilisers and engines are also new as are many other details. You'd be doing a lot of modifications and scratchbuilding to convert a 737-400 into a NG.  As John says, if you want to do a 737-800 it'd be much better to get hold of the excellent Zvezda kit; the 737-700 will follow in due course from them. The kit decals may be useable on an -800, it depends if there's enough extra in the fuselage stripes although the specific Drawdecals sheet may be better: http://www.shopdrawdecal.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=44-737-50.

The Welsh Models kit itself is quite basic being one of their earliest with low pressure injection moulded wings plus basic white metal detailing parts. They are a good introduction into vacforms though since the trickier bits are covered by the injection and metal bits. My advice would be to build it 'as is' and gain some useful experience for more advanced projects. Good luck with the kit!

HTH,

Jonathan