Bf 110 loadout from Sicily to Malta

vppelt68

I'm just about to start building a Bf 110 D or E from ZG 26 in Trapani, Sicily. I was wondering what to equip my kits' underwings with, if I want to depict a fighterbomber on its way to Malta? Centrally carried 2x500 kg bombs are a natural choice, but were  the 300 litre fuel tanks for wing racks the only option or did the range allow 2 smaller bombs per wing instead? I'll go for the fuel tanks in my build but would just like to know how it was. Thanks in advance, V-P

Hello

Messerschmitt Bf 110 C, D, E variants (ReVi) book includes several photos of Bf 110 Ds and Es from 7/, 8/ and 9/ZG26, taken on Sicily in 1942. One shows one of the planes, apparently after heavy landing, with a broken undercarriage leg. This particular Bf 110 is equipped with ETC 500/IXb bomb rack under the fuselage/centroplan, 900 litres drop tank and two bomb racks for lighter bombs (probably 50-kg ordnance) under each wing. Will try to locate the photo on the web. Cheers

Jure

• Thanks 1

Hello

I am sorry, no joy so far. I browsed through several other books and while there is plenty of photos of III./ZG26 planes with 900 l drop tanks, I did not find a single one showing Bf 110 with 2x500 kg and 4x50 kg bombs and 2x300 l drop tanks. Bf 110 E-2 was cleared for 2000 kg of bomb ordnance so payload, mentioned earlier, should not be a problem, at least not in theory. I still have several books to check, so keep your fingers crossed. Cheers

Jure

• Thanks 1

Thanks Jure and Steve! I'll browse through those pics, but will most likely do the regular 2x500 kg with 2x300 l loadout. I dislike those 900 litre balloon tanks... Unless used in a Ju 88 recce plane! The 50kg bombs I'll save for later use. Just got my workbench/desk cleared from a previous build, so maybe tomorrow I start the one-TEN!

Best regards, V-P

• Like 2