Losing respect

Barrovian

Do you ever lose respect for an author so much that you stop reading a book immediately ......

And I quote "The Red Army had it's own tanks, the T-34s (American designed and probably the best tank of the war)"

I can accept the BT series were designed around the J Walter Christie tank, but to claim the T-34 was American is a stretch ....... as they produced the M3 and M4 for their own troops.

Who is this author Stephen E Ambrose of Band of Brothers fame.

The book Citizen Soldiers: The US Army from Normandy to the Bulge

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

This thread is giving me the heeby-jeebies with some rather anti-American sentiment showing.  Please don't lump in the whole country just because of a few people's ill-judged comments.  It's akin to calling the British a race of modellers just because we few make models and we're British. :shrug:

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, Mike said:

This thread is giving me the heeby-jeebies with some rather anti-American sentiment showing.  Please don't lump in the whole country just because of a few people's ill-judged comments.  It's akin to calling the British a race of modellers just because we few make models and we're British. :shrug:

As a Canadian, there are so many things I could say, but I'll keep my trap shut and not start a flame war.

Chris

Having read nearly all of Ambrose's work, it is true that he does take a dig at the British, he's not a big fan of Montgomery, he didn't think much of our weaponry, but where credit was due, especially with "Pegasus Bridge" he did lay the laurels firmly where they belonged.

As Mike said, he's only one author, and I have read British authors who have been "unfair" towards our allies.

Read him, take on board what he has to say, then read some one else's account of the same subject.

I have read a lot about Market Garden and it always makes me smile how some writers seem to be writing about a totally different campaign to others! :

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Aeronut said:

I make it a rule not to read histories written by American authors especially if the subject involves nations other than the USA, they can be somewhat biased.

Ditto....Don't you know the good old U S of A are the saviours of the universe ! !

Regards

MM

• Sad 1

• Mike locked this topic