Revell ‘Tweedy Pie’ hotrod.

I did start a WIP thread on this project but it’s been such a traumatic build that I quite frankly lost the will to carry on. However, I did finally complete the car and without doubt it has been an experience I wouldn’t really like to repeat. Experiencing the huge amount of flash, bad mouldings, things not lining up, poor quality plastic, shocking fit of parts etc. etc. has seen my patience tested to the max and many, many curses uttered! As a result I’m now calling it “job done” as I want to move on to a new project. I realise It’ll never win any prizes for quality of build, but it has assembled into a pretty little hotrod and has been a valuable learning experience, even if not always fun. It’s the first time I’ve airbrushed Humbrol enamel and also Alclad Chrome, and I’m fairly satisfied with the results, but I know areas in which I can improve the process. As a point of interest perhaps, the pinstripe around the upholstery is a thin strip of ‘Bare Metal’ chrome foil painted the same colour as the car and simply burnished into position. In my opinion this option is a much simpler solution than trying to mask and paint directly onto the upholstery. Finally, the carpet is very thin, fine felt from a craft shop fixed in place with PVA. 

Anyway, here are some pictures of the car and any constructive criticism is gratefully accepted.

25332493277_ed10bffa5c_o.jpg

40203997941_72d78cd04e_o.jpg

28424272899_ee8f7d8947_o.jpg

39492825964_865a3e2c4b_o.jpg

25332550847_b78c79428a_o.jpg

• Like 13

2 hours ago, rs2man said:

I think that looks brilliant .  So good , in fact , that I've ordered the kit from Creative Models this afternoon so I can have a bash at it myself

I wish you good luck with the project. :)

Thank you all for the kind words, they’re very much appreciated! :)

I might even be encouraged to have a go at another oldie kit that I’ve been presented with, the Monogram ‘Li’l Coffin’, but I think I’ll de-stress on an easy kit first! 

39548484814_fe1658b8a5_o.jpg

• Like 3

Ah, L'il Coffin, probably one of the most popular kits ever made and yet another one in my stash started but not finished. Mine's an original Monogram kit and it's in quite a hard plastic, not the soft stuff in Chinese moulded kits.

It's an easier kit than Revell's rods - Revell tried to incorporate lots of little details, Monogram tried to simplify and locate better so that kids of all ages could get a good result.

BUT, it's ancient technology and the moulding tools have produced many, many thousands of pressings.

The colour's interesting too. Apparently it was Wild Cherry Candy over a gold base. I used to think it was quite a dark red but seemingly not.

Are there any simple car kits out there? Most are old and the new ones are great but complex although they fit well. You get used to it after a while....................

Dave 

• Haha 1

Hi Bill,

Not sure how much research you've already done but as background this is as good a start as any - it's quite a story!    Linky Thingy

Like most rods it went through lots of minor changes in it's life before it's destruction. Monogram's original box art captures the look when it was modelled but there's loads of pictures on the net.

Regarding the colour, lots of modellers have used alternatives and they all mostly look pretty good.

One thing, in the original box art, the nose looks more level with the ground - it's tipped up a bit more on my model and that seems to be the case with later box art. It's really apparent where they've used a photo of the model - it gives it a bit of an alligator grin. I've leveled mine a little............................

Good luck with the build.

Dave

• Thanks 1