MikroMir Alfa Class

Hey guys,

This is MikroMir's very nicely detailed but poorly fitting Alfa. I say poorly fitting because you attempt to put the hull halves together and you end up with something that looks like a poorly peeled banana. The main fin is moulded to the upper hull half because it's so streamlined that there's no point having it separate I'd like to guess. The little (well unusually large on the real thing compared to other submarines) windshield-like thing on top of the sail was photoetch. The idea of the part was to fold it over and sandwich a piece of clear acrylic between two impressions of the windshield, creating the fold up screen that stops you ending up with a bunch of wet Russians. But I may suggest simply cutting one of the windshield pieces away and going at it without the acrylic, mainly for scale appearance because mine appears slightly too thick.
The model was painted with the colourcoats (ex-white ensign) hull red and Tamiya's NATO black. This black I feel gives a better representation of the rubberised anechoic tiles the Russians slathered on the submarine to reduce the noise.
The models decals were interesting to say the least. The red and white disk which is the protruding dome of the emergency buoy came in separate parts which then separated further at the first look of water. Not to mention the various other decals had about as much strength as the Warsaw Pact in 1991.
Finally I added the photoetch propeller blades for both the two trim propellers and the main one of which it was mainly guestimation because the main hub-bulb thing which the blades hang off of was moulded smooth. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Again, with some of my other posts you may have/have not seen, my photo set up is rough to say the least so I hope you can at least tell its a submarine!

Many Thanks

Sam :thumbsup:

• Like 9

• 2 months later...