WEM PE for 1/700 Illustrious.. Which one?

Lifeline

Hi,

First of all, I'm mostly build 1/72 Aircraft.. and so far only had finished 1 ship model (Academy 1/800 USS Kitty Hawk) which I built for a friend, and a 1/700 Oliver Hazard Perry frigate.  

But, due to my big mouth saying "I won't buy that one kit unless you got the PE set for it" to my LHS owner.. Now, I have a Dragon 1/700 HMS Illustrious in my stash.

And, it turned out that my LHS also have -not just one - but both WEM 1/700 Invincible Class Support Carrier (PE 716), and the WEM 1/700 Invincible Class Superset (PE 742). 

Which PE set should I choose? FYI, the kit is the Premium Edition.. the one which include generic PE, EH-101 Merlin and Harried Gr.8.    

And, while we're at it.. Any recommended color/shade for the ship itself? 

Many, many thanks..

Mario

Indonesia

Hi Mario,

I am currently building the HMS Invincible 1982 kit at the moment and I am using the White Ensign Invincible Class Support Carrier (PE 716) which is OK. However the WEM 1/700 Invincible Class Superset (PE 742) is a better and I would recommend that you use that.

As for colours the Royal Navy topside grey is British Standard 381C 676 which you can get through Sovereign Hobbies Colourcoats Range (M01 - RN Light Weatherwork Grey). Alternately I use Humbrol 127 which is very near match. Decks are dark grey and I use Humbrol 27 which is also a close match.

I hope this helps.

Paul

10 hours ago, Paul E said:

Hi Mario,

I am currently building the HMS Invincible 1982 kit at the moment 

So am I. How far into it are you? I'm still knocking back those raised flight deck 'speed bumps.' What's the Colourcoats like to brush with? I'm doing my build away from home so haven't got my compressor with me. Not a fan of brushing that Humbrol 127 so looking for a better alternative without scabbing some top coat grey from a convenient 'paint shop.'

26 minutes ago, Darby said:

So am I. How far into it are you? I'm still knocking back those raised flight deck 'speed bumps.' What's the Colourcoats like to brush with? I'm doing my build away from home so haven't got my compressor with me. Not a fan of brushing that Humbrol 127 so looking for a better alternative without scabbing some top coat grey from a convenient 'paint shop.'

Hi Darby,

I have progressed as far as chopping the bottom of the hull off to make a waterline model and I have sanded down the flightdeck. I am currently working on the superstructure and applying my usual "enhancements" but I have not got as far as painting yet.

I have never used Colourcoats before so I can't say, but I do know what you mean about brush painting the Humbrol 127, it needs a least an undercoat.

I can put my build up on the WIP if you want.

7 minutes ago, Paul E said:

Hi Darby,

I have progressed as far as chopping the bottom of the hull off to make a waterline model and I have sanded down the flightdeck. I am currently working on the superstructure and applying my usual "enhancements" but I have not got as far as painting yet.

I have never used Colourcoats before so I can't say, but I do know what you mean about brush painting the Humbrol 127, it needs a least an undercoat.

Cheers Paul

Wouldn't mind having a peek at your superstructure if you'll pardon the expression. I have a plethora of 1/700 guard rails from stalled/failed builds and hopefully have enough to go around it. I managed to get the hull together earlier today and dry fitted the flight deck which wasn't a bad fit. May have to blend in the for'ard garden wall a bit though.

Darbs

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi There,

Thank you for the info @Paul E, @Darby....

I just able to visit the LHS last night and found out they only got the PE716 set, so that's the one I'm going to use... A beautiful set yet with a slightly confusing instructions, eh? 

On 2/13/2018 at 3:20 AM, Paul E said:

Hi Darby,

I have progressed as far as chopping the bottom of the hull off to make a waterline model and I have sanded down the flightdeck. 

If I may suggest... Please do post the WIP, Paul.. Being such a newbie I would really really love to see how experts build a beautiful representation of this beauty.

Anyway Hu127.... FS35237? We usually have Gunze here so it would be Mr.Hobby H337 Greyish Blue?

Cheers,

Mario 

Indonesia

On ‎24‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 6:08 AM, Lifeline said:

Hi There,

Thank you for the info @Paul E, @Darby....

I just able to visit the LHS last night and found out they only got the PE716 set, so that's the one I'm going to use... A beautiful set yet with a slightly confusing instructions, eh? 

If I may suggest... Please do post the WIP, Paul.. Being such a newbie I would really really love to see how experts build a beautiful representation of this beauty.

Anyway Hu127.... FS35237? We usually have Gunze here so it would be Mr.Hobby H337 Greyish Blue?

Cheers,

Mario 

Indonesia

Hi Mario,

As requested I have started a new thread in the Work in Progress section. I am no expert but I hope it will help with your build.

As for colours I have looked at the Gunze colour chart and I think H337 seems too dark, H324 looks a bit closer.

Anyway I hope you enjoy the build.

Paul.

• Like 2