Royal Thai Air Force 737-800, Zvezda kit

zebra

I'm going to build the Zvezda 737-800 as HS-TYS of the Royal Thai Air Force, using Siam Scale decals.

Box shot:

Zvezda 737-800

I made a start this evening. In not much more than an hour I've got the fuselage and wings assembled. The fit is superb, I don't think this is going to need much filler! The perfect kit to build in parallel with the Amodel Mil Mi-10 I'm building in the BM 10th anniversary GB.

Here it is with the wings dry-fitted to the fuselage. If I get any modelling time tomorrow I'll take the wings off and clean up all the seams, which won't take much work. The bit that'll take longest is the clear cockpit roof, which stands slightly proud of the fuselage so will need to be blended in, but doesn't look like it'll take long.

Zvezda 737-800

Thanks for looking

Z

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Viking said:

I really like this one, and would love to have a Thai airforce example in my collection. Where/how did you obtain the decals?

Aviation Megastore stocks Siam Scale decals. I won't be using Aviation Megastore regularly due to their postage costs, but they had some things I needed and I put in a bulk order to spread the postage cost, including these decals - didn't have a kit to use them with at the time!

• Like 1

I got a set from a chap who used to be in my club. He had contact with the manufacturer. Got mine quite cheap as well. I also grabbed a -200 and Thai Airways -400 sheet for around $5 each at the time.

Though it is not the subject of this GB I would love to get my hands on a set for the Thai Air Force A340-500! :D as well

23 hours ago, zebra said:

Aviation Megastore stocks Siam Scale decals. I won't be using Aviation Megastore regularly due to their postage costs, but they had some things I needed and I put in a bulk order to spread the postage cost, including these decals - didn't have a kit to use them with at the time!

Thanks, I might give them a try though I have never ordered from them before. I'm a bit susceptible to the bulk order thing though, it always seems sensible to spread the cost over a few sheets, and I end up overspending!

• Like 1

Quite a lot of progress today: Winglets on, primed the airframe, made a start on the engines. This is a lovely kit - nice fine detail and goes together very well (nice bit of light relief from the Mi-10!).  Since taking the photo below I've also sprayed all the aluminium bits with Alclad. Might get a coat of white on tomorrow.

737-800 WIP

thanks for looking

Z

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Viking said:

That is looking very neat. I like the Mi-10 in the background too!

Thanks Viking. I'm building the Mi-10 in the 10th anniversary group build - have to say I'm loving how it's shaping up, just test fitted the rotors which has taken it from big to huge!

• Haha 1

No photos to share but a quick update - I've got on with the painting - leading edges done with Alclad aluminium, and white upper surfaces done. Hopefully will get time to get the grey on this week - will post a photo when that's done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, armored76 said:

The clear coat looks nice and shiny, too. Which paint have you been using for this?

Thanks armored76. The white is Tamiya - an flat white undercoat and gloss white top coat. It airbrushes on really well. The grey is Gunze and the clear coat is Tamiya X22 - I've tried a few different clear coats and this seems to work best for me.

Got a few decals on today - didn't get as much time as I'd hoped - will get them finished on Monday (going to an airshow tomorrow). The Siam Scale decals work quite nicely but aren't perfectly sized for this kit - in particular, the winglet decals are nothing like the right size and shape (I suspect they might fit the incorrect winglets on the Revell kit) - unfortunately my trimming has resulted in a rough edge that I'll have to touch up. Here's the latest photo:

737-800 WIP

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Viking said:

Agree with Brian, I think this is one of my top 3 favorites in the GB!

Way too kind but I’ll take it thanks! There are plenty better than this in the GB. Have to say though that I think these markings look great on the model.

Lovely scheme Z, looks like the decals are behaving, I found I have a sheet for a -400 in Royal Flight markings.

So how was Tyabb?? I must get down there one year. My brother and sister in law are in Mornington and I have visited the Old Aeroplane Company to see their collection a couple of years ago. It would be good to see some of them flying.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Lovely scheme Z, looks like the decals are behaving, I found I have a sheet for a -400 in Royal Flight markings.

So how was Tyabb?? I must get down there one year. My brother and sister in law are in Mornington and I have visited the Old Aeroplane Company to see their collection a couple of years ago. It would be good to see some of them flying.

Tyabb was great. They always manage to put on a good show - a good mix of aerobatics and warbirds, some nice old aeroplanes (always love to see the Ryans), and some great warbirds. Will never tire of seeing the Hudson in the air!

Aside from Tyabb I've got a little modelling done this weekend. Decals all done now, will give it another gloss coat then attach the engines, undercarriage and so on. Here's the latest photo - I really love this colour scheme:

737-800 WIP

• Like 3

Calling this done. The Zvezda kit has been a pleasure to build, I'd build another (but probably won't - more interested in older airliners). Will use Siam Scale decals again as well. 

More photos in the gallery shortly.

Z

RTAF 737-700 Zvezda 1/144

• Like 4