Panel variation creating adding filters

Lostpanther

Hi again

I wanted ask about applying filters. 
I have base painted and Klear varnish coated my model pledge multi surface 'water based'.
Is it safe if i mask up panels and airbrush watered down acrylic over the top.
I want to make my NMF look aged and burnt on random panels.
What would your method be for filters or adjusting panel colours.

Regards
Matt

• 2 weeks later...

How safe masking the panel is depends mostly on how well the paint has gripped onto the plastic. If you've used a good primer and the paint you applied is robust enough, then you should have no problem with masking panels. I've noticed this recently on a couple of builds, both painted using the same Vallejo metallic colours. The first build was likely not primed well enough and when I removed the tape used for masking I had quite wide areas of paint lifting. On the following model I changed primer and checked this aspect very well. Using the same paints and the same tape, I had no problem with paint lifting even if I had to mask quite a lot of panels.

regarding how to adjust panell colours, generally I prefer to mix different metallic paints to have slightly different finishes on the various panels. Your idea should work pretty well to reproduce a flat, aged NM finish. I've not tried this myself but I've seen the technique used in a couple of magazine articles.

45 minutes ago, Peter Marshall said:

Personally i'd use oils for that - a lot safer.

I just went through the same challenge, representing the patchwork Dural-panel NMF on a 1930s Boeing 247 airliner, and the oils worked really well over a Tamiya acrylic base coat.

Not just 'safer'---though they're dead-easy to wipe off, if something doesn't suit---but they're also easy to 'control.' Applied 'dry' you can get a nice uniformity of color, from opaque to translucent; thinned, they can be brushed out to near-transparency.

I had actually considered spraying first (since I had to mask anyway), but the oils seemed to offer an easier solution for both panels and weathering in one step.

Just my 2 p. Cheers