Puma HC2

Richard Thompson

Puma colours over the years...some humbrol numbers are not necessarily exact matches but are in the ballpark 

Three Colour Early scheme =  Dark Green BSC381C-641 (Hu163)  Dark Sea Grey   BSC381C-638 (Hu164) over Light Aircraft Grey BSC381-627 (Hu166)

Mid Three Colour Scheme = Dark Green (Hu163) and Dark Sea Grey (Hu164) over Night Black (Hu33)

Late Two Colour Wrap-around Scheme = Dark Green (Hu163) and Dark Sea Grey (Hu164)

Modern Two greens scheme=   BS 4800:12-B-25 Lichen green (Hu120?  XtraColor x24? )  and BSC381C - 285 NATO IRR green (HU102?) 

Now it gets a bit Hazy, 

Some airframes now appear to be in all over Nato IRR Green HU102, or possibly BSC381C 298 Olive Drab  but I can't find any definitive data. Perhaps someone else has. 

Cheers,

Troffa

Richard, are you building the 32nd Puma HC1, or converting it to HC2?

Sorry, Troffa, but the the official scheme for the HC2 as of 2012 was overall Polyurethane Matt Dark Green BS381C-241 over Primer Epoxy Black, per the official drawings. 

The HC1 two greens scheme also used BS381C-241 green as the darker colour.   

There are several reasons that the aircraft can look different colours, including translucency of the top coat, lighting and fading/dirt.   In the case of the RAF Merlin, despite having the same top coat, the early aircraft had a yellow (zinc chromate-like) primer and looked much lighter.  Puma and Chinook use black primer, making them look a darker green.

Regards

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys, that's a big help its the Revell 1/32 SA330 and going to be the HC2, I have done a lot of researching on the net and looked at alot of picks but just couldn't seem to get the right green for the overall colour, which is the one ime going for, also ordered the decals from Paul Parkes who is a member and they are spot on, once again thanks guys I can now crack on with it 😊

20 hours ago, Richard Thompson said:

Thanks guys, that's a big help its the Revell 1/32 SA330 and going to be the HC2, I have done a lot of researching on the net and looked at alot of picks but just couldn't seem to get the right green for the overall colour, which is the one ime going for, also ordered the decals from Paul Parkes who is a member and they are spot on, once again thanks guys I can now crack on with it 😊

I'll look forward to seeing it.  I have one on the shelf of doom, awaiting my retirement to progress it. 

Regards

Tim