Spitfire 1b - KP 1/72 and PixScan tests

CedB

3 hours ago, Beard said:

I think they're just grey. Although it ain't any help with what paint to use, the stores code was 33B/157. I would've thought Medium Sea Grey would be better than Sky Grey but I imagine that someone who knows what they're talking about will be along soon.

Thanks Simon :) Coming up...

2 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Medium Sea Grey was the prescribed colour for the codes, if you've got it, Ced. :)

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks Stew :) I have, and the other colours required (see below) - all set!

2 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

I likes it Ced. It erm does seem quite technical and well hard loike, but I will hum along to the bits I don't understand.

Thanks Tomo - hopefully it'll all make sense when the painting starts - hopefully! :)

41 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Nothing like a find after some PING panic. :phew:  

coming together rather nicely.

John.

Thanks Johnny :)

Everything ready for some Spitfire action:

39314156535_40d51e112b_z.jpg

Ready! by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I could have chosen a simpler scheme for my tests (the underwing roundel on the black has a yellow outer ring) but hey, in for a penny, in for a pound.

Black underwing - matt black or 'Night'? What do we think?

• Like 4

Night gets my vote; it would have been in stores at RAF bases and I see that you already have a tin - but in all honesty it will be indistinguishable from pure black unless you put them next to each other anyway, so it's your call :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Thanks 1

If you're still undecided, I'll hobble down to the man cave when the temperature rises above zero and consult my references but I seem to remember that night rather than black was specified for use with sky. Nice collection of Colourcoats there.

John

• Thanks 1

Thanks Giorgio - IG soon!

Thanks Jon, Stew and Simon - Night it is then; it'll be interesting to see if we can tell the difference. IIRC H33 has blue in it (I saw before I mixed) and VMA NATO black is flatter and, er, black.

Adding another black option (can I say that?) is always welcome.

Thanks John - stay where you are! Unless you need the exercise of course. Hope the knees are working better than the old ones and that there's not too much pain and discomfort.

If I'm sounding grumpy at the moment apologies. I have a cyst (says the Doc) on the back of my neck and it's got inflamed by something. It's like having someone pinching my skin all the time.

Anti-biotics (I did resist) and pain killers being consumed but I can't lie my head flat on the pillow without it feeling like a needle in the neck so I'm sleeping even worse than usual.

Sympathy not required thanks (although I know it's there) - just let me know if my grump level is showing too much :)

• Sad 5

IG now!

39508705994_228e6b2063_z.jpg

You want a close up don't you:

40187363272_15c67d5456_z.jpg

Lovely stuff. Very easy to spray (0.2 @ 15psi), colour laid down evenly and quickly, airbrush cleaned out quickly with the Colourcoats thinner/cleaner. Sold!

• Like 11

OK I'll stay here in the warm then. It was just one knee ( I don't know if they will do two together ) and I'm getting there slowly, I thought they said two weeks to fully mobile but it should have been months! Coming up to four weeks now and counting, should be just right for the Spring.

Thanks for asking

John

PS. Sorry about the neck, hope it clears up soon. At least you don't have to wear a collar and tie now that you're retired.

Edited by Biggles87
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, CedB said:

If I'm sounding grumpy at the moment apologies. I have a cyst (says the Doc) on the back of my neck and it's got inflamed by something. It's like having someone pinching my skin all the time.

it sounds as though your Doc is better than my brother in law's doc. When he had a cyst on his back and went to the Doctor she told him " I'll give you some cream for that".

2 weeks later he had it whipped out in a minor op!

Major to him, but as it was a local we scorned it and said it was minor!

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

OK I'll stay here in the warm then. It was just one knee ( I don't know if they will do two together ) and I'm getting there slowly, I thought they said two weeks to fully mobile but it should have been months! Coming up to four weeks now and counting, should be just right for the Spring.

Thanks for asking

John

PS. Sorry about the neck, hope it clears up soon. At least you don't have to wear a collar and tie now that you're retired.

Thanks John - glad to hear the knee's getting better. Some sadist Orthopods do, sometimes, do both knees at once but I don't think the patients like it!

1 hour ago, Whofan said:

it sounds as though your Doc is better than my brother in law's doc. When he had a cyst on his back and went to the Doctor she told him " I'll give you some cream for that".

2 weeks later he had it whipped out in a minor op!

Major to him, but as it was a local we scorned it and said it was minor!

Thanks John - "I'll give you some cream for that" :rofl2:

I've had a lipoma (fatty lump) removed from my belt line before so that was my preferred solution, but GP #1 pointed out that the scalp is very venous and heals poorly. Ho hum.

I had the lipoma out under local at my local private clinic and the surgeon is a great bloke. At one point under the knife he asked "Can you still feel your legs?" came around the front, looked me in the eye and said "Just my little joke". I laughed! Not a lot... these guys need a weird sense of humour, I guess.

Back to the modelling. While the paint was drying I decided to try cutting the template.

Joe (Fatboydim) started me on the idea of using film for masking and he's now moved from Maktac to Ultra Film so, of course, I bought some. It's on a roll so I cut off a length after sticking it to the Portrait mat:

39322572845_8a6c8c24ba_z.jpg

Ultramask on cutting mat by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

After a 'too deep' test, depth 2, speed 1 and force 15 seemed to work:

39509369744_f099eb4f82_z.jpg

Perfect? by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

I've peeled that off so that you can see the cut is only just into the backing and the shape is pretty perfect IMHO.

Template cut. The cutter 'looked' at the paper, wobbled a bit, then moved to the bottom of the page (huh?) and stopped. Studio reported that 'Registration Failed'. Double huh?

Searching the manual helped. Using the PixScan feature causes the design to have ‘registration marks’ that the cutter uses to align itself - the hatched areas shown on the design page. When I changed the page size to ‘custom’ these were left in the design, but they’re not on the standard mat and so the cutter failed to ‘see them’ and the print stopped ‘Registration Failed’. I turned them off (in page setup, top right icon, choose 'None') and re-tried the cut:

39509629664_d09739f24f_z.jpg

Pretty good. The film has lifted a bit but that's probably a help. You can see from this close up how well the cutter 'goes around corners' at this speed:

26348333458_6b6a3b7351_z.jpg

Pretty good I think. Now I just have to hope that the mask actually stops the paint! You know I like a bit of tension in my threads...

Sadly some film backing stuck to the cutting mat. :doh:

28441467139_8b753552fc_z.jpg

Thinks - why do I need a cutting mat when the film has a backing? Perhaps I'll try without next time :hmmm:

• Like 8

6 hours ago, CedB said:

just let me know if my grump level is showing too much :)

Doesn't seem to affect your modelling abilities, anyway - in fact, it looks like you keep improving :) 

Super-smooth IG coat there :clap:  

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

To me, as does not know his apex from his pixel this all has the whiff of magic

Damned good job Uther Pendragon is not still king, or you would be up in front of the beak for witchery and magick

Now as a nexpert in computerisation (you might not have known it but YOU are MY goto guy for computerism, well you and Keith that is)  will you be adding directional stretch to the masks for when you mask curved items on plastic?

As I understand it a drawn mask will only represent two dimensions from the picture but the actual shape ought to change to allow for the fact that a curve on top needs to lengthen for distance across the shape

(I suppose the shape should vary according to the amount of tapered fuselage too, but...)

For now I intend to learn stacks of exciting stuff

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, perdu said:

Now as a nexpert in computerisation (you might not have known it but YOU are MY goto guy for computerism, well you and Keith that is)  will you be adding directional stretch to the masks for when you mask curved items on plastic?

As I understand it a drawn mask will only represent two dimensions from the picture but the actual shape ought to change to allow for the fact that a curve on top needs to lengthen for distance across the shape

(I suppose the shape should vary according to the amount of tapered fuselage too, but...)

I think you have a point here, although I took for granted that the scheme Ced used to scan the mask already took that into consideration ... Ced?

Ciao

• Like 2

Further to the colour controversy (I know there is no controversy, YET!) my own personal Spitfire scheme guru has something to say on the subject

I am aware that I tread unwisely on the toes of real experts but back in the day WW2 and especially Spitfires and the BoB era, because dad, this was my goto Bible

P1010174.jpg

And I still doff a gentlemanly hat to its content, which avers...

In the topmost on page reference

P1010173.jpg

Anyway

Thatsallfolks!

Night, White and AluminIum

Edited by perdu
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, perdu said:

Night, White and AluminIum

Camouflage and Markings is still a good reference but X5272s first flight was on 25th August 1940 so ought to have had Sky undersides when built, the Sky/ Night undersides are from November 1940.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks Cookie - I hope the files are useful :)

Thanks Giorgio - Colourcoats = super smooth, grumpy user or not! :)

Thanks Bill - as Giorgio says the templates do take into account the fuselage curves, thanks goodness. Sadly, when I come to scan the pattern from the kit scheme on non-Spitfires I have to use Panzer Putty across the fuselage and just make it up :)

Thanks John :D

Thanks Bill and Simon for the information on the colours - 'Night White'? Crikey, another can of worms...

• Like 4

This may, or may not, clarify matters regarding the underside colour(s):

Supermarine%20Spitfire%20Camo%20&%20MarkL

Supermarine%20Spitfire%20Camo%20&%20Mark

There may have been a time-lag between the order to change to camouflage and it being implemented by the factories. For example, the Sky undersurfaces were on service aircraft from 06/06/1940 and on new aircraft from 11/06/1940. I think reference to 'typical standard Battle of Britain colour scheme' mentioned above refers to the introduction of under-wing roundels.

In short, Spitfire undersides:

from first production to 27/04/1939 - aluminium

from 27/04/1939 to 06/06/1940 or 11/06/1940 - black (night) and white (possibly black/ white/ aluminium)

from 06/06/1940 (or 11/06/1940) to 27/11/1940 - sky

from 27/11/1940 to 21/04/1941 - sky, with the port wing painted night 

from 22/04/1941 to 14/08/1941 (or as soon as convenient afterwards) - sky

from 22/04/1941 to the end of the war - Medium Sea Grey 

(Of course, I may be wrong but that's my understanding.)

Edited by Beard
1) to take account of malpaso's post.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Beard, you missed one - the undersides would be all sky again from April 41 when black port wing revoked till August 41 when OG/DG/MSG scheme adopted.

Cheers

Will

• Like 3