Spitfire 1b - KP 1/72 and PixScan tests

CedB

Thanks Jon - you really are too kind and yes, there was wine last night! :D

Thanks Simon - very kind of you too. I'm sure you could do this but, to be honest, the opportunities to mess up are legion and I'm not sure it'll be my preferred method in the future; special models only :)

Thanks Cookie, not only for your kind comments but also for giving me the ideas in the first place :)

Here's how (what I call) Cookie's walkways turned out:

39510520715_784ee79937_z.jpg

I like that, a lot. I found it surprisingly easy to get the tape straight down the lines and quite easy to maintain the right gap. Apart from ensuring that the ends of the tape are square(ish) it's a simple job that produces a great result, much better than fighting with stencil decals and getting, grrrrr, silvering anyway.

Touch ups this morning. Bill's dotty method. Apart from accidentally dotting blue on a white part of the roundel she's now ready for serials and stencils:

39706813884_e21c1ea9ff_z.jpg

40417300131_dbe1ca45b6_z.jpg

Then it'll be matt coat, prop on and off with the canopy masks - can't wait to see how the Ultra Mask worked there; I'm hoping its thinness will lead to nice frames for a change.

I'll have a look at the stash, choose some candidates, check that the wheels up option works and let you know what my next, OOB, easy build is going to be.

• Like 15

3 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

And this little gem is already one of those!

Lovely job Ced!

Keith

Agreed 100%, she look so beautiful with painted on markings and codes :clap::clap: 

9 minutes ago, CedB said:

my next, OOB, easy build is going to be.

Yeah, sure. OOB :rofl::rofl:  :)

Ciao

• Haha 4

48 minutes ago, CedB said:

I'm not sure it'll be my preferred method in the future; special models only

ALL YOUR MODELS ARE SPECIAL!

The Spit looks absolutely STUNNING!

Roger

• Thanks 1

Hello Ced, that really looks grand. Better than any decal could do.  You can be proud of that for sure. Maybe I should look for the colourcoat range here in Germany. Some of them are very interesting for me, especially that yellow, red and blue. Cheers

• Like 1

Thanks Keith, very kind :)

Thanks Giorgio :) No, really, I need a rest from all this fiddling. I've got two Red Arrows out of the boxes, Airfix Gnat and Hawk. They have pilots, wheel up option, everything! More later.

Thanks John (D) :) As the greatly missed Edgar said, NOTHING goes over the roundels. Trouble is, with deep panel lines, it's hard to show this:

39524005565_b0e45e4706_z.jpg

Nothing over the roundel! by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Thanks Jamie, especially for the wonderful paints! :)

Roger you're far too kind, thanks very much :)

Thanks Benedikt :) I'm loving the Colourcoats and I hope you can source some, soon.

Thanks John (Biggles), painted walkways are going to be my new standard I think :)

Thanks Bill - yes, your dotty touch up technique :)

Thanks Simon, very kind :)

Thanks Tony - it's the paint, honestly. My skills are still 'meh' :)

Serials and stencils started this afternoon. Tiny, fiddly things:

26551855498_280397f5f5_z.jpg

Seven stencils - count ‘em! by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Turned the model over, cut out the other serial, held it with tweezers and dipped it into the water and it immediately wrapped itself around the tweezers! Gaaaaaaah! I tried dipping it in the water so it floated flat but no way was this mess going to sort itself out:

39711738984_0a9190faf6_z.jpg

What a mojo killer!

Checked the stash for suitable serials - what! No black serials?

No worries, I can design and print out another serial.

Tried again to install the RAF fonts on my Mac - no joy.

Tried to snapshot a screen image of the font - useless.

Then my old grey matter stirred and I remembered that the Kitsworld idents, strangely, also had serials so I cut them out:

40423244341_8da9f1cdfa_n.jpg 39712637244_39f8d3fd32_n.jpg

Out to the Theatre tonight - hopefully my mojo will be restored in the morning.

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

Hello Ced , sorry about the serials. I can feel your pain.  Gotten this for more than once in my past life, when I was a child/ young lad building planes etc.  And I really do fear to get (of getting?:shrug:) this on my recovered diecasts again.

Maybe someone has some spare for you to exchange them.

Cheers and a nice evening.

Edited by bbudde
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

One day I'll get up the gumption to try and mask 8" serials as well, but I think it's an iffy proposition.

I'd like to see that, Cookie. This could open up a new way for my 1/72 models, so I'm very interested :coolio:

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Water

deTransferscals

Do you seriously still dip them in a bath of water?

I am sorry but if so, as you realise now no doubt, it is a method destined for disaster

I (NOW) take a transfer sized bubble of water on my worktop and dip each piece in the puddle for long enough to let the fixing film loosen

Then take it with tweezers to the point of impact or pain, at least that way I am controlling most of the job, then slide the print off the slide backing paper when it is where you want to place it

As the task proceeds I will top up the bubble with my tweezers

How do I pick up bubbles of water with tweezers?

simplicity itself

Pop the tweezers into the water with the points closed

This will cause a blob of water to hold to the inside of the tweezer with surface tension

And when you get to where the bubble is/was just tip the pointed tweezers to the surface and the tension will release and drop a droplet exactly where it will do the most good

With this control all the pieces can be picked out as you need them and wetted and dropped in place

Might be worth you trying it instead of bathing them in BIG WATER

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, CedB said:

it's the paint, honestly. My skills are still 'meh'

Sorry Ced, but I have to say this - that is flippin' nonsense!! :tease:

The paint is great, but it doesn't apply itself! Your skill in doing so is now way past 'meh'...!!

Keith

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Tomo, Stew, Benedikt, Giorgio, Johnny, Keith and John - you're all very kind :)

16 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

That's looking great Ced! What a pain with the serial though - I hate when that happens.

One day I'll get up the gumption to try and mask 8" serials as well, but I think it's an iffy proposition.

Masking 8" serials? Seriously? :mental:

15 hours ago, perdu said:

Water

deTransferscals

Do you seriously still dip them in a bath of water?

I am sorry but if so, as you realise now no doubt, it is a method destined for disaster

I (NOW) take a transfer sized bubble of water on my worktop and dip each piece in the puddle for long enough to let the fixing film loosen

Then take it with tweezers to the point of impact or pain, at least that way I am controlling most of the job, then slide the print off the slide backing paper when it is where you want to place it

As the task proceeds I will top up the bubble with my tweezers

How do I pick up bubbles of water with tweezers?

simplicity itself

Pop the tweezers into the water with the points closed

This will cause a blob of water to hold to the inside of the tweezer with surface tension

And when you get to where the bubble is/was just tip the pointed tweezers to the surface and the tension will release and drop a droplet exactly where it will do the most good

With this control all the pieces can be picked out as you need them and wetted and dropped in place

Might be worth you trying it instead of bathing them in BIG WATER

Another lesson from my master modeller friend. Must try that. New setup:

26565508058_507a0e2886_z.jpg

New setup by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Couldn't waste the water warmer. My sharp tweezers won't pick up much water so I used a brush. Hmmm. I can see how that will avoid twisting transfers so on with the replacement serials and the rest of the stencils:

40392876122_fb1461fc96_z.jpg

Some time later:

25566178277_11d1720fa8_z.jpg

Finished, thanks goodness.

The KP instructions are less than helpful IMHO and some of the stencils are missing? Weird.

No one's going to see them on the ceiling anyway.

I brushed some Micro Sol on the bottom ones, mainly to try to avoid silvering, and the KP trestle stencils (which are a bit vague to be honest) immediately wrinkled. I'll have to leave that to dry now but I do want to put some Sol on the serials too.

When that's dry I can matt coat, then it's off to the RFI for me!

• Like 8