Spitfire 1b - KP 1/72 and PixScan tests

CedB

Progress first:

38586263570_0bdc2d8b25_z.jpg

Oooh look, even the camera's focussing on the paint!

Tricky getting the burnished masks up and the other bits down again.

Tip - be careful when you remove a bit that you don't stretch it.

Especially the tiny round dot in the middle of the underwing roundel.

No, the PMask bit isn't any good, it's too small (eh, what?)

Now back to the waiting room...

9 hours ago, bbudde said:

Sorry Ced, didn't want to interfere you. Sorry, I should exchange my keybord first. The wine should be gone tomorrow. And my grammar problems will stay here for me for a while. I cannot argue that away. Some basics I guess. Cheers

9 hours ago, bbudde said:

Thank you, very appreciated, if you like to! I don't know always, where the difficulties lies

Cheers Benedikt

Benedikt I agree with Jon, your English is fine and there are so many different dialects who's to say what's 'correct'?

I remember meeting a local when I was in Abu Dhabi who spoke with a Geordie accent and dialect - "way eh man!". He'd done his degree in Newcastle. And there's another problem... Geordie's don't think Newcastle is proper Geordie!

What I'll do, if you like, is tell you if I don't understand what you're trying to say. Always compromise, that's the English way :)

2 hours ago, 06/24 said:

Back on topic, Ced you’re a marvel. I don’t know how you find the energy to constantly push your knowledge envelope the way you do, but it’s inspirational and all power to your elbow. Once you’ve conquered this, what’s next on the agenda?

Jon you're too kind, thanks very much :) I have no idea why I'm putting myself through all this pain - I WILL do an OOB build next. Probably.

2 hours ago, Beard said:

Benedikt,

Us Brits are far too reserved and polite to correct anyones' English, the worst you'll get is a semi-audible 'tut'.  :)

Just to to create further thread-drift. My local newsagent recently became a British citizen after passing the exam. What he doesn't know about British history probably isn't worth knowing and would ask in depth questions about the British political system or the order of succession when I popped in to buy my morning paper.

Thanks Simon :) I know what you mean! Some friends are 'studying' for their Citizenship and their knowledge is impressive. I'm just hoping they don't make us take the test!

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

As long as we don't have to do it in German, I'd be finished after guten morgen Benedikt....:)

Keith

:) And 'zwei Bier bitte', surely?

53 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Fear not Benedikt - the British have always reserved for themselves the right to commit the greatest crimes against their own language!:D (It's to distract us from acknowledging that we're such comparatively  poor speakers of our European neighbours' tongues...)

That's before you even take in to account the damned autocarrot on my smartbone....

A Spitfire condom Ced! Who knew?

(Can't wait for the Big Roundel Reveal, like everyone else.:thumbsup:)

Hi Tony :)

It's true that, as a Nation, we're not good at other languages.

But, as one of my school chums said, "Which one do you choose? They only ever work in one country, whereas English works in all of them". Fighting talk, I know. He's the one who got into a fight in Spain. He blames the 'audio visual' teaching methods' we had where everyone sat in a dark room watching slides (often cartoons) of people and listening to the foreign phrase appropriate to that situation. The specific problem was where two farmers noticed that their Bull had escaped from a field and he 'learned' the phrase as "Oh well, never mind" when in fact it was "Stupid animal". When the barman accidentally knocked his drink over, my friend used the phrase... then the fight started.

42 minutes ago, giemme said:

:rofl: Also, not taking into account slang expressions or even welsh ... (sorry K :whistle: :) )

Benedikt, as a non native English speaker, what helped me most was to try and think in English (if that makes sense to you). I often have to speak the Albion's language for my job, which is obviously the best thing to keep it fresh.

Furthermore, whenever I can I watch TV series and movies in their original language with subtitles (that introduces the issue of American vs British English, but we don't want to get into that, do we? :whistle:  :coolio: )

Sorry for adding to the drift, Ced, but you keep us waiting on that masking reveal so .... :D 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :) Thinking in the language certainly helps, a lot. If you try to 'translate' everything word by word, you'll get into trouble...

Me: 'Pas encore' = 'Not again'. Wrong. When asked if I'd like some more food after a filling meal, answering 'Not yet' is considered rude.

Mrs B: 'Platre' = sticking plaster. Wrong. When a small boy falls over by the pool, suggesting he needs to have a plaster cast applied is too much. (It's 'sparadrap' I think.)

Me: 'Briquette' = cigarette lighter. Should be 'briquet'. You feel really silly when you ask for a lump of charcoal to light your fags (there's another - our US friends are now imagining setting fire to gay blokes!)

27 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

We are watching a French crime series on British TV at the moment and trying not to look at the subtitles which sometimes bear little resemblance to what we can actually hear.. We're learning lots of slang and swear words as well.

John

Oooh, rude words John, when could you possibly need them? :wicked:

Me again: After being asked if I'd like more food (there's a trend here, isn't there) replying 'Non merci, je suis plein' stops the conversation. Dead. Apparently 'j'ai bien mange' is correct. 'Plein' is only ever used, apparently, by 'course' people when referring to pregnant livestock.

Who knew?

Bet you can't wait for the yellow and masks off. Me neither. Soon, soon...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

10 minutes ago, CedB said:

The specific problem was where two farmers noticed that their Bull had escaped from a field and he 'learned' the phrase as "Oh well, never mind" when in fact it was "Stupid animal". When the barman accidentally knocked his drink over, my friend used the phrase... then the fight started.

That needs another :rofl2:

• Haha 2

Thanks Keith and Tony - it's good to laugh :D

Yellow:

38588091460_3e012c136b_z.jpg

Lovely coverage. Thanks @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies, I'm an even bigger fan now... yellow that covers properly? Rare as hens' teeth.

What's that readers? You want to see the masks off? Oh, OK, here you go:

26528269438_18035280c5_z.jpg

:coat:

What's that? You want to see the model? Here's where we are:

40398885511_b734d67c6c_z.jpg

39502182165_3ea1ede636_z.jpg

Touch ups required in some places but... pardon? You want to see how the masks performed? Hmmm. Well, as it's you...

40398826561_3653b9c170_n.jpg 40398834841_fe5c0f6771_n.jpg

No need to go closer to those - really nice. They look painted on. Oh no, wait a minute... :D

Note that there seems to be some residue where the masks were burnished down, although not around the edges so I suspect, although I don't know, that it might be because I didn't let the blue dry for long enough before I replaced the mask. I didn't (bother) burnishing the outside when it was replaced. Lesson 1 for me then. If it shows after the matt coat I shall call it 'weathering'.

The others require close up photos as, per usual, I'm prepared to expose myself for the benefit of others. (Yes, I told him. No, the judge didn't agree)

40398846701_4b4434ce6a_z.jpg

Now don't forget these underwing roundels are tiny. That's my excuse. Oh, OK, very small. Especially the centre dot which I think got a bit stretched out of shape. If you click on the image you can go to the original on Flickr and zoom in. If you do that you can see that:

• there's a bit of Sky between the white and blue over the panel line
  • there's a white crescent top left of the roundel

Thinks. I sprayed the blue first. What must have happened is that I replaced the 'blue mask' out of line so that it covered the Sky and left a gap on the outside. The white then masked on the inside and oversprayed on the ouside. Lesson #2. As Cookie says, positioning the masks needs care. Lots of it.

40398854611_2f42e17172_z.jpg

Lovely yellow coverage - that's over BLACK for goodness sake. Issues?

• Yellow ring, wobbly. I've thrown the mask away now but the paint is about 1mm at the widest and 0.5mm at the narrowest.
  • Distorted red dot with a blue edge bottom right - blue first so a gap in the mask
  • Yellow overspray on the white - gaps in the mask
  • Yellow creep onto the blue

All in all a bit of a mess but I refer you, m'lud, to this shot:

39502182165_3ea1ede636_z.jpg

With a bit of touch up, good enough for the ceiling. Lesson #3; carefully burnish ALL parts when replacing, even the tiny ones you're afraid will move.

Next (still with me?)

40398866441_48b6d78263_z.jpg

Quite happy with that. Need to take more care lifting the mask with a #10a - scratch on the Sky band and on the white of the roundel. Zoom in and you'll see there's some touch up required on the white and some yellow overspray on the camo top right - how did THAT happen?

Finally, port side:

40354389172_d37d54c1fb_z.jpg

Bit of creep of yellow onto the white and blue requiring touch up. Not enough paint on the top of the white fin flash, but I quite like that look.

I need to let that dry really well before I mask up again for the idents. Tomorrow I guess.

Feelings right now?

Problems all my fault. Masks worked well but operator error on re-positioning caused problems. Colourcoats behave beautifully, including easy cleaning of the AB.

Would I do it again? Yes, but it takes a LONG time so I'll probably use transfers on all but special models.

• Like 17

First of all the main topic:

Hello Ced, The Spitfire looks very sharp apart of the little accident on one of the underside roundels. I think this can be fixed with a careful touch up. I wouldn't worry too much

Second:

Thank you all very much for your fine companionship. Too kind, but much appreciated. I do bother about these kind of things especially, if it's less I than I expected.  I thought it would have been somewhere in the middle. But it tells me, that this course will make sense for me in the summer. Before I'll do that, I will make some other test to check up my pesonal status quo. And yes "being forced" to speak a language is (probably) the best way to learn or improve it as you have to use all your other senses.

Nothing will teach you more than coming home from a bakery with empty hands after a disastrous conversation with the shopmen.

I will qoute you all a bit later as  I've sort of lost track at the moment and a slight hangover. Cheers to you all

Benedikt

• Like 9
  • Confused 1

Steady hand and a lick o' paint'll sort out that pesky roundel agin the black Ced. 

You gotta feel pleased with the results you've achieved here:

Simplemente nos muestra a todos lo que la perseverancia y la determinación pueden lograr!

(Hopefully that's Spanish for 'it shows us all what perseverance and determination can achieve!' - if not then I've just called you a filthy beast...madre de dios!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

I would be more than happy with that as a first attempt.

John

+1. :clap: It's all part of the learning curve, Ced; don't get discouraged, painted on markings look sooo much better than decals :coolio::)

Ciao

• Like 1

Experiments on the actual model?

Not often a great idea but it seems to me you 'got away with it' almost unbesmirched

Who dares...

It's been a great proving the concept thing Ced, I anticipate you getting the letters much 'righter' this time round

I know that I would have been testing the concept on painted plastic first, I kept lots of the CD cases that came with 'free software' in some upmarket computer mags for these little jobs but you have done very well for a first time

• Like 2

Thanks Stuart - I'm with you I think, too much hassle, except for those 'special' models :)

Thanks John - it is my first attempt... with everything and Colourcoats. I've done roundel masking a couple of times before and idents on the Boultbee. Practice makes, er, slightly better :)

Thanks Roger, very kind :)

Thanks Simon - I do like to share my pain experiences around :)

Thanks Benedikt :) Your second comment looks perfect, especially after a hangover!

Thanks Celt - Hurricanes are in my near future :)

Thanks Keith - life is short?! Heck, better get on with it then... :)

Thanks Tony - nice Spanish :) Lick o' paint? I have to lick it??!!

Thanks Giorgio - they do look better. Just not that much better on the ceiling :) No silvering though.

Thanks Bill - Experiments on a model... I was prepared to sacrifice this as it's not a very expensive kit and, if it worked out, I'd have another Spitfire!

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Tomorrow I guess.

Guessed wrong. Couldn't wait:

Giorgio's tape and flag poles:

40356417932_7dc5146622_z.jpg

Bill's overspray protection:

40401529501_9d90755055_z.jpg

Jamie's paint and Cookie's ident masks:

38591177540_bcb257c086_z.jpg

25530128697_ba15c2aa62_z.jpg

Happy with that after some small touch ups. Are the roundels a bit too high? Lined up using the kit scheme. Oh well, doesn't look too bad.

Touching up next

• Like 17

That looks wonderful Ced! Well worth the hassle in my opinion - although I agree that sometimes it's nice to take a break and use transfers. Now, pretty much any scheme you see is available to you, but I guess you were already at that point given your recent Harvard and two-seat Spitfire builds!

46 minutes ago, CedB said:

Are the roundels a bit too high? Lined up using the kit scheme. Oh well, doesn't look too bad.

They seem to match your decal instruction sheet very well Ced. It's counter-intuitive that the more complicated shapes of the idents are easier to spray than roundels, but there's no removing and replacing the mask to contend with.

• Thanks 1

That is a very promising first go Ced, the national markings in particular must have been really tricky to do but they came out much better than I expected; the codes looked like they would probably be easier and they came out a treat B)

Nice work matey :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Thanks Ian, Giorgio, Bill, Benedikt, Keith and Stew, kind of you :)

Thanks Cookie - so, mask and spray the idents first and then roundels? Makes sense as then you can, as you say, mask over the idents and save time. Great tip :)

Mrs B is out to book club tonight so a bit more done. I masked the prop tips ready for the black and then remembered Cookie's method of spraying the walkway lines. Why not, I've tried lots of other things on this one:

40405306671_c5b655c2fc_z.jpg

Mask for black by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Sprayed that and then attached the stick out bits ready for touch ups in the morning:

39509249865_318f6e8e8e_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

The exhausts need attaching too - they're in the pile.

• Like 12

Bloody brilliant. Brilliant. 

Brilliant.

words fail me

Brilliant.

therre really is no end to this mans talents. Speechless. Not sure I dare tell him, but I bet he's slugging wine with a big cheesy grin. He bloody should be. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2