Spitfire 1b - KP 1/72 and PixScan tests

CedB

9 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Well, I'm late...again. No seats left, bar full, that leaves the floor.

Best of British with the new masking techniques, too much hassle for me.

Now, let's see some Spitfire build please.

No sweat C, I can budge up over here

Oh yes look the barman's looking this way, I'll have a pint of Bass if you are going to get 'em in

I'm glad the software can do that Ced, phew

I do worry about silly things don't I?

😱

• Like 2

Paul Lucas, in "Battle for Britain", said that the 'black' on the early scheme was Night while that on the later Sky and Black undersides scheme was, in fact, Special Night. This was a true sooty black rather than the dark blue-grey of Night.

John.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

Does anyone produce ' Special Night ' I don't remember seeing any.

I don't believe so. Lucas said that there was no stores reference for it. A patchy matt black finish would do the job, I guess. Special Night wasn't noted for its durability.

John.

• Thanks 2

Thanks Simon - great reference info, really appreciated :)

Thanks Will - more great reference stuff, thanks :)

Welcome Stuart - I.m hoping the cut masks make life easier, fingers crossed. There's some Spitfire action below (at last!) :)

Thanks Bill - better to voice a worry and have the concern removed than to watch someone blunder on and then point it out, too late! :)

Thanks Keith :) Ah, should have read "Night, White and Aluminium", got it. These guys should watch their grammar. "Let's eat, Grandma" not "Let's eat Grandma", commas can save lives! :D

Thanks johnd and Biggles for the help, always appreciated :)

Some Spitfire action on the internals:

26379897388_cf8491f06d_z.jpg

Shiny leather seat back and, for a test, I used the kit decal for the IP and sloshed some Daco strong on it:

38441637700_25a18dd955_z.jpg

Not too bad. I'll cut that carrier off in the morning and see what's what.

Crew candidates have been called for interview:

26379947098_074e2164cc_z.jpg

'Skinnies' on the left, standard on the right. I'll see which fits best, but whatever happens I'm going to have to separate the boys on the bottom left... :o

• Like 5
  • Haha 10

Thanks Jon - used your Pitt pen tip (mostly), nice and easy :)

Thanks Simon - a good compromise to cope with the raised detail, extra carrier now poked off with a #10a :)

Thanks Giorgio, kind of you :)

I always find alignment of the interior bits fiddly so I got them roughly in place, dry fitted and taped the fuselage and blobbed some TET through the bottom:

38448899930_05a5dff3bc_z.jpg

At least then I know that the fuselage will go together.

Once that was dry(ish) I un-taped the fuselage and tried fitting the crew. The man-spreading on the nice (Airfix Defiant) ones prevented their use so one of the skinnies it is:

38449098800_3213b11cba_z.jpg

Note the card blanks to hold in the exhausts. Final internal shot with the scraped IP:

38449114480_2d2e9604ff_z.jpg

... and then the fuselage halves were glued:

26387054998_8193c966f5_z.jpg

Just the top seam - hopefully the bottom is as good as the top :shutup:

• Like 13

Oh Ced , missed this by now. 4 pages and only one free seat in the restroom left.  I may take my folding seat behind the bar, if you don't mind.

By the way the Mk.1 is my favourite of the Spitfires. I don't know why, but it is. Good luck with the masking.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Benedikt - welcome :)

Thanks Simon - well spotted! I must admit I wondered what the slot was for and my old brain said 'harness'. :doh:

I've now painted it and put it with the gunsight so I can [forget to] glue both of them on before close up:

39549492894_eebcba37b1_n.jpg 39548321374_906c0b006b_n.jpg

I also need to mask the canopy, of course. You may have noticed earlier that I'm using the Ultra Mask recommended by @Fatboydim for the templates and that the bit I'd cut off the roll was too big AND had sort of started peeling. 'I wonder what that'll be like for canopy masking' I thought and tried a bit on the back:

25388699497_b438301768_n.jpg 25388754737_85259286da_n.jpg

I was impressed. Because the stuff is plastic it sort of 'wraps' itself around the part and it cut easily with a #6 blade. Onwards with the rest:

25389604107_b17a7249e8_z.jpg

Ultra Mask by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Nice. Of course it's not 'tape for curves' but it is flexible and seemed to go over the rear of the canopy curve no problem. On the front (where it's a steeper curve) it didn't settle so I cut it and stuck the bits down with an odd bit of Tamiya. I think I'll put some on the top too to hold down the join. The only problem I found was that the 'low tack' meant that the stuff slipped when I tried to push the blade along joins on the smaller pieces, like at the front. We'll see how it performs under the airbrush!

Bottom seam glued, also looks good:

39362965465_2f704c50a6_z.jpg

I remembered Stew building a KP ages ago and could only find a Vb here. Only problem he (and Cookie) had was the rear join wing-to-fuselage so I'll look out for that.

• Like 10

Thanks Tony - mucho appreciatus :)

Thanks John, it's a nice kit so far :)

Thanks Cookie - fingers crossed on the Ultra Masking - I might even design some for the cutter and add them to the template. What do you think? :)

After Simon's thankful comment on the omission I checked the instructions and also found this:

39368388675_a761155364_n.jpg

Now painted and shoved up the bottom.

Now the 'fun' starts:

39365434475_d067409824_z.jpg

When I saw the nice deep wells I thought 'Finally, someone who's modelled an aircraft where the wheels actually fit in the wells'. Spoke too soon:

25395123157_0c60e29ec8_z.jpg

Gnnnggghh. Out with the sihrsc to remove the back of the wheels:

26393731678_e264427157_z.jpg

I'll need some more patience to finish those off.

Note also that the tailplanes are on and a bit of filler wiped down the small gaps.

• Like 11

If you have built any Eduard Spits you should have half wheels coming out of your ears!  Might be easier than filing down AZ/KP wheels.  I’ve only built two Ed’s (so far) and seem to have enough wingtips various, ailerons, cockpit doors and wheels for a squadron!  

Cheers

Will

• Like 2

Thanks Keith :D

Thanks Roger - very kind :)

Thanks Will, you are a star! I've just checked the stash and sure enough, there are the Eduard 'half wheels' and also some Airfix 'wheels up' parts kindly donated by other BMers. Sadly I've only just read this after fighting with the parts for an hour or so. I'll try to remember next time. I am an idiot. :)

In my single minded 'fix the KP' mode I thought 'get the doors flush, then fit the wheels underneath' I found I needed to remove the wheel bay detail:

39557642774_e5ca35a954_z.jpg

... and still one door wasn't the right shape:

40224485822_56c6ddd944_z.jpg

Out with the sanders and I now have two flush doors:

39371608275_13662842e4_z.jpg

... with gaps that will need to be filled, sanded and re-scribed:

40268938891_cf8b4c203b_z.jpg

Half wheels. Airfix wheels up parts. What's wrong with my memory? Single minded, process driven idiot :(

• Like 8
  • Sad 3