Spitfire 1b - KP 1/72 and PixScan tests

CedB

Well here we are again Ced. Fascinating mask creation going on. I’m not a hundred percent sure what’s going on. Maybe it’s because it’s late, maybe it’s the wine. Either way I’m tagging along for the ride. Who wouldn’t?

Johnny.:penguin:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, CedB said:

I know this sounds like a lot of trouble but I do build lots of Spitfires AND, if it all works out, I'll be able to send the template file to other Portrait cutter owners, like Cookie :)

You're a good man Ced B.

2 hours ago, Gene K said:

In my opinion, the Pixscan process, as well as the Studio trace program are not precise enough for 1/72 ... good enough for the camo pattern, but not for small lettering or national insignia.

I used trace for Hellcat Sqn numbers, but ended up just using the 'traces' as guides for drawing the numbers by hand - which wasn't too bad since they were a 45o font.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Gene K said:

Roundels are easy,  as is lettering, especially  if you have the Windows font installed.

Further to Gene's post, there are some free USAAF/Luftwaffe and RAF fonts here, might be worth a look if they can be used...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I took the easy way out as usual. Tamiya provided four view camouflage plans of both A and B schemes with their 1/48 kits so I photocopied and laminated them and cut out all the parts so that now I can just trace them onto Friskette.

Good luck

John

• Like 2

Thanks Stew - great to have you along mate! :) Thanks for the link to the fonts too; I've tried downloading them before but, on my Mac, I can't find a way to rename them from 'New', which is a pain.

Thanks Graham - great information, thanks :)

Thanks Crisp - yep here I go again :)

Thanks Simon - I shall use the larger bulges? :)

Welcome Trevor - I'll be using the cutter for printed and scaled templates too, much faster (and more accurate) than the Gyro-cut, I hope!

Thanks Gene - I think you've cracked it for me, thanks. When I look at the image I see templates to cut out but Studio, being precise, sees the lines around the shapes and tries to cut those out! I know Giorgio recommends that film too (thanks Giorgio) so it's on the shopping list for when my Frisket and Ultramask run out!

Welcome Johnny, nice to have you along! Bear with me and hopefully it'll all become clear! :)

Thanks Ian - I'm sure you'll get it, but enjoy the beer in the meantime :)

Welcome John (Harley) - have a seat! :)

Thanks Cookie - we're learning together... great stuff :)

Thanks PC - I've had a little try with the Colourcoats and, as others have found, they spray really well eh? :)

Thanks John (Biggles) - lucky you have the templates BUT how do you cut them out of the film? Gyro-cut I think, as I've been doing... great tool but relies on careful handling. Imagine sticking a sheet of film in a cutter and having a perfect template in seconds! I have a dream... and hopefully not a nightmare! :)

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, CedB said:

Thanks Simon - I shall use the larger bulges?

Well... are you doing a MkIB or MkI(cannon)?

Unbelievably, I haven't got that boxing of the KP Spitfire but will check what variant the two on the back were. *heads off to look in Spitfire The History*

EDIT:

R6776 - fitted with the cannon wing on 25/06/1940.

R6908 - STH doesn't give a date for it being fitted with a cannon wing.

X4272 - fitted with the cannon wing on 09/09/1940.

As the MkI (cannon) were converted prior to July 1940, it could be that R6776 would only have cannon (and the smaller bulges?) and the other two would be B wings.

Edited by Beard
  • Thanks 2

I've only used the templates once ( in about 20 years ) and I didn't have the Gyro cut, I used a fresh scalpel blade after sticking the templates to the film with  thin strips of masking tape. As I recall, it was a long laborious process so perhaps it wasn't the easy way after all. When I built the Mk XII a couple of years ago I didn't use them because it's not worth the effort for brush painting.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

My reading of the various books is that there was no such thing as a Mk.1b designation at the time - that is an after the fact name by modellers or whoever?  There were around 3 or so initial cannon only planes, they then realised they needed to give the pilots more options than 60rpg of cannon ammo and reinstated the outer .303s for a batch of around 30. 

The real answer may still be around somewhere, but the books I've read sort of feed off each other as sources with mutual lack of clarity!

Anyway I have this same kit to build, so look forward to you finding out if it has any challenges.

Cheers

Will

Edited by malpaso
Commentary
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Simon :) Looks like I need to decide which serial I'm going to build... and then I'll realise it doesn't have the 'Pattern A' camouflage and I'll have to repeat the scan process. At least it should be a faster process this time.

Thanks John - I think templates and film are much easier than trying to get the right shape with BluTak or tape but horses for courses I guess :)

Thanks Will - confusing eh? I've yet to decide on the subject to be honest... this build is really to test the vinyl cutter method but I should try to get the details right, of course. :)

Well Gene was right - selecting the shape and choosing 'Release Compound Path' from the Object menu let me separate the 'inner and outer lines' and delete the inner one. It also let me delete the odd bits and pieces so I was left with just the template shapes I wanted. I could then use the point editing to clean up the line shape:

39301058645_e22b0ffb18.jpg

Single Objects - edit paths by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

See the grey squares? You can click on them and delete to simplify the path. You can also move the point. Or change the shape of the line between two points, including the curvature. Good stuff.

Soon(ish) I had the modified shapes and could organise them on the page to save masking sheet:

39301401895_f6709d075d.jpg

I'll may need to fiddle with those when I decide which sized masking sheet to use.

Note though that there are two masks for the camo across the fuselage and canopy; one 'normal' and the other for a bubble top. No problem, I've now marked them up and, just before cutting, can (from the 'send' tab) select the one I want, move it into position and set the 'Cut / No cut' options appropriately:

26327090988_8266da2188.jpg

That's enough about cutters (until I get to the idents and roundels) - now for some Spitfire building!

If anyone wants the Silhouette Studio design PM me your email address and I'll send it over.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Nice lunch, photograph the 'B' pattern, import into PixScan and tidy up and it's still only 2 o'clock.

Easy, once you're used to it!

Tip: In Studio, when deleting points that shouldn't be there, you can just keep hitting 'delete' and it deletes points down the path. Simples :)

• Like 2

Nice work Ced! A PM will be on the way.

I must admit that I messed around with Silhouette studio yesterday using the direct jpegs for the camo patterns and got the same double lines no matter what I tried. Must remember 'Release Compound Path' - thanks for that Gene and Ced.

• Like 1

Welcome Simon - settle down now and no rustling the crisp packet please :)

Thanks for the crisps Keith - got any Tuna and Sweetcorn flavour :wicked:

Cookie PM responded to, let me know how you get on with the templates :)

Time for some plastic!

I started carefully cutting the interior parts from the sprue and PING, off went the control column.

Search the carpet monster.

Clear the bench.

Check in slippers.

Check unmentionables.

No sign of it. Rats. Time to start soldering tiny parts? Maybe later. Dammit. :jump_fire:

Get on with the other bits man - you can sort out the column later.

Reached for the #10a to clean off some flash and:

26334346538_4e7ed32bb4_z.jpg

You can’t hide! by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Last place I looked (as usual). That and other bits prepared for spraying with IG:

39308961075_43fae977f7_z.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks Simon - good tip :)

Trevor I read that post with interest and sympathy - you got lucky too! :)

Hi Keith - rats, you could have saved me some! :D In my yoof we used to go to a pub where the landlady was proud of her range of crisps. It became a 'game' to ask her for something 'unusual'. Salmon and Cucumber? Tuna and Sweetcorn? Crikey, some people can be mean...

I've 'decided' on a theme, the one on the instructions; X4272 as QJ-D, 92 Sqdn, Biggin Hill December 1940. It has cannons, the only option in the kit.

A question Gents.

If I'm going to paint the idents, what paint should I use? They're the light grey 'early' ones, 'Sky Grey' is it? Tamiya XF-19?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, CedB said:

If I'm going to paint the idents, what paint should I use? They're the light grey 'early' ones, 'Sky Grey' is it? Tamiya XF-19?

I think they're just grey. Although it ain't any help with what paint to use, the stores code was 33B/157. I would've thought Medium Sea Grey would be better than Sky Grey but I imagine that someone who knows what they're talking about will be along soon.

• Thanks 1