Southwest 737-800

pinky coffeeboat

Hi,

This is my next entry in the 737 STGB. 

Here's the Zvezda kit, merely to show it's not started.

20180129_193206.jpg

and here's the intended colours

20180129_153841.jpg

As others have mentioned in this group build and elsewhere, the Zvezda kit is very nice and goes together easily. Options I'll choose for this one will be split-scimitar winglets, possibly later CFM56-7BE engines (if the kit engines can be modified) and a WiFi antenna on top of the fuselage. Due to the placement of the "Southwest" titles, I'll fill the windows and use the included photo real decals.

This is a particular favourite colour scheme of mine and I'm looking forward to building it.

Jeff  

• Like 5

Very nice choice Jeff.  I never model American airlines (no particular reason, there are just so many European schemes that attract me) but that livery could definitely tempt me.  I haven't seen the decals in the flesh (so to speak) but I think they are screen printed which is probably a first for 8a.  I'll be interested to see how you find them.

2 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Very nice choice Jeff.  I never model American airlines (no particular reason, there are just so many European schemes that attract me) but that livery could definitely tempt me.  I haven't seen the decals in the flesh (so to speak) but I think they are screen printed which is probably a first for 8a.  I'll be interested to see how you find them.

Thanks Dave.

The decals are printed by BOA agency, so if you've used them (I bet you have!!) you'll know what to expect.

20180210_163252.jpg

Also included is a template for making your own correct style winglets but I haven't shown that as I'll be using the split scimitar winglets.

Progress of sorts.

The model was prepared for window filling using Aves Apoxie Sculpt. This a two part mix. I bought mine from a taxidermist in Wales on eBay.

20180209_194516.jpg

20180209_204147.jpg

Left aside overnight, it was hard as rock and ready to be rubbed down. My two current 737STGB entries:

20180210_150824.jpg

Notice the awful cut I made on the forward right fuselage. I really must concentrate when cutting!!

20180210_153512.jpg

Just for interest and showing the difference in length between the -800 (grey Zvezda) and -700 (white, badly cut down Revell).

One of the noticeable upgrades introduced by Boeing in their 737NG range with the PIP package (although that would make it the Performance Improvement Package Package) was the changes to the engine - this went from the CFM56-7B to the -7BE version. Also, the fuselage was cleaned up, with more streamlined light housings, reduced gaps between the wing flaps and spoilers (something McDonnel Douglas did with the MD-11 in an effort to meet its performance guarantees, also known as the PIP).

The -7BE engine has an 18" (45 cm) shorter core nozzle, reshaped exhaust centre body and small curved exhaust shield above the new core nozzle.

cfm567be-exhaust.jpgcfm567b-exhaust.jpg

(OK, they were meant to be links, not sure how long they'll remain..)

To copy this on the Zvezda model, a good approximation can be made be reducing the length of the exhaust pieces by cutting off the bit shown below

20180210_184635.jpg

This is the overall look. Close enough especially when hidden under the wing.

20180210_190917.jpg

Onward and upwards with this one, its a joy to put together!!

Jeff

• Like 5

Didn’t know about the engine differences. Yet another new thing I’ve learned on BM! Will have to check photos of the one I’m building.

You mentioned a template for correct winglets - I assume this is for the Revell kit, or are the Zvezda winglets wrong too?

Thanks for your kind comments.

Zebra the template doesn't specifically mention the Revell kit, however as the decals were produced in 2015, before the Zvezda kit was released I assume Jon (of 8a decals) was referring to this Rv kit.

20180211_220445.jpg

Jeff

• Like 1

Nice work on the engine conversion, looks great.

on another note I use a cheap Mitre Box for cutting Fly Screen framing for doing cuts on my airliners, it really helps to get them square and accurate.

Of course not sure how available that would be in the UK, but it's fairly small and easy to handle.

Hi Graeme,

Thanks for your kind comment.

I have a small aluminium mitre box that I tried to use for cutting the Camair-co 737 fuselage, but as can be seen from the pictures I think it must have slipped or I was more concerned about blunting the saw blade on the al box. I might locally manufacture a wooden box instead, I've a few more conversions planned.

Jeff 

A very small update.

One thing I notice and find puzzling about Zvezda airliner models, is that even though they fit wonderfully, have such beautiful engraved panel detailing and critically, are generally accurate in shape and form, they do have a rather flat "detail less" appearance. For example, their A320 kits seems to lack certain features and 3d details that the Revell kit has, such as vents around the APU tail piece and details on the underside. The Zvezda kit doesn't have these details (nor sharklets, which is strange).

So it is with the 737 kit - the underside centre wing panel lacks the exhausts for the AC packs. These are just in front of the undercarriage bays. Changing from circular on pre-PIP aircraft to rectangular on PIP aircraft.

Original style...

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/7534531

PIP style...

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/8666438

Comparing both kits undersides: note the smooth finish of the Zvezda kit and the "detailed" Revell kit.

20180211_225533.jpg

As I've chosen a PIP 737, the rectangular vents must be made. Its easier for the circular vents - simply drill the correct sized hole with the drill held at an angle to produce the aft venting holes. To produce the rectangular vents, enlarge these circular holes with a small flat file. 

The picture shows the vents in progress, they have since been cleaned up and aligned with each other.

20180211_232711.jpg

More to come.

Jeff

Edited by pinky coffeeboat
  • Like 4

Looking good Jeff and thanks for all the interesting information about the engines and the PIP details.

I agree about the "detail less" aspect of Zvezda kits.  The SSJ is very much the same.  It's probably a bit late for your model but Metallic Details produce a photo etch set for anyone who wants to bling-up their 738.  It includes wheel well details, engine fans and various other bits and pieces. Personally I'm not a great fan of photo etch but I have bought a set for use as and when I get round to building the Zvezda kit because I think Zvezda slightly spoiled the ship for the proverbial ha'pence worth of tar.