Mark's 1/48 Monogram Tiffy

MarkSH

Nice work Mark, however I would be wary of the painting instructions as it shows the under wing identification stripes ( so as not to mistake it for an FW 190) plus the ‘invasion stripes’ on the fuselage, an unlikely combination unless there is a photo showing otherwise? Once the order was given to reducing the invasion stripes to the underside of the fuselage only, then the wing undersides would have been overall medium sea grey. 

Mick

10 hours ago, mick b said:

Nice work Mark, however I would be wary of the painting instructions as it shows the under wing identification stripes ( so as not to mistake it for an FW 190) plus the ‘invasion stripes’ on the fuselage, an unlikeyyly combination unless there is a photo showing otherwise? Once the order was given to reducing the invasion stripes to the underside of the fuselage only, then the wing undersides would have been overall medium sea grey. 

Mick

Thanks for the info, I thought I had seen images describing a similar scheme to the kit’s instructions and as it’s an old skool build I’m happy to follow them. In addition the under wing stripes are not in equal spacing but 2:1 white to black actually 24”/12”  I got that from another manufacturer’s kit painting instructions on the internet, can’t remember which though.

Cheers, M.

Afternoon all,

Thought I'd have a play around and experiment with some paint effects of the Tiffy and try and break up the areas of flat colour on the camouflage.

The idea was to try and suggest the stressed skin effect and the centre of some of the access panels of various types around the aircraft. I took some of each colour and lightened them very slightly, I used white for the Ocean grey and Trainer yellow for the Dark Green and then very roughly painted in where I thought spars, stringers etc. might be once that was done I used a clean brush and a small amount of thinners to blend the colour into the base colour. I think the gloss coats will assist in blending the colours in further and also some post decaling/gloss coat weathering will 

25747090777_39f4a662bd_b.jpg%5B

25747090507_70d1f3060a_b.jpg

Some of it works quite well, other bits may need some refinement, but I'd be interested to hear what you guys think of the effect.

Cheers, M.

• Like 5

That works! Looks very effective and while you may have put in a little too many sections to each panel for absolute authenticity it does break up the otherwise overly uniform nature of the colours. I think you're on to something good here :goodjob: 

That's worked really well Mark,I looked at the photo before the text and was scratching my head trying to remember the surface of this kit

being so detailed,I thing your glossing for the decals will only enhance it!

Evening all,

I think I may have mentioned before that my feeble mental capacity really does struggle to cope with more than one build at a time so I have decided to finish the Tiffy off and then move onto the Sea Hawk the only reason being the Typhoon is more advanced and a little more immediate for being brush painted.

So, today's problem was how to brush paint reasonably straight black stripes on the underside of the fuselage and wings.  In the end I decided to mask off as necessary but only dry brush along the tape in black and then just 'colour in' between the lines.

38829911180_ab35950d2c_b.jpg

The fuselage stripes first coat of black has been applied after dry brushing the stripe edges and the wing stripes have just had the masking tape removed so as to prevent any seepage when the thinned black paint is put down.

38829911330_a69075f6d1_b.jpg

The first coat of black applied to the wing stripes, later on I'll blutack the undercarriage doors in place and mark off the distance and angles of the stripes.

Cheers, M.

• Like 3

Evening chaps,

Continuation of the painting of Monogram's Typhoon 1b and I think it's ready for a gloss coat. Next job is to buy a replacement large black ink tank for the printer which ran out yesterday so despite having got the artwork finished I can't print the decals yet.

39950159294_4243beb327_b.jpg

Spinner and prop blades came up ok with a bit of a buff-up

39950159424_6d4c950278_b.jpg

Stripes painted up fully, also added the same paint effect as per the top surfaces.

39950159174_0db0975d2a_b.jpg

Cheers, M.

• Like 6

Hello everyone,

Not been able to do much over the last few days as I've been fitting out a utility room for the aged P's.

However, I found some time to print the decals and set to work on the markings.....or so I hoped, I had intended to try and use the kit's small white decals for obvious reasons and I had prepared them by putting a coat of decal solution over them, but even they being only four 'Fs' for either side of the nose and tail (one of which broke up irretrievably and had to be replaced with some spare white decal from another kit), the Tiger decal which broke into four pieces and similarly the port side 'kills' decal fared little better, I managed to ease them into place and the Tiger got a bit of a touch up when dry.

My own home print decals were a little more successful from a, not bleeding all over the shop like the last time I tried point of view, but were a little on the transparent side so they were doubled up on top of white circles/squares from a 1/48 RAF roundel backing patch sheet where necessary. The only one that just caused too much trouble was the large yellow 'F' on the fuselage and in the end I put one decal in place and used it as a guide to hand paint the 'F' first in white and then the first of two yellow coats which is where I am up to in the photo. I also took the opportunity to create some limited airframe stencilling decals which over all are working quite well.

25879639607_8554e5f2c0_b.jpg

So decals eh! who'd 'ave 'em!? Bain of my life, never enjoyed doing them, some people I know think it's the part where a kit comes to life, I honestly don't get much pleasure out of this part of a build. I am however determined to crack the home printing issue.

Anyway, that's one side done, hopeful of finishing this one off in the evenings this week leaving plenty of time to get properly stuck into the Sea Hawk.

Cheers, M.

• Like 5

Hello chaps,

Been a busy week at work and avoiding the racing festival, living less than a mile from Prestbury park (Cheltenham race course) is a right nightmare! I had a good mind to post in the 'what's been flying over your house' thread.... "all the noisy bloody egg beaters from the festival!" never ending, they're still going now!!

Anyway, managed to conclude my battle with the Tiffy decals.....I think I won, sort of. A few errors crept in I'm afraid in my delight at getting the small white kit decals on to the model and only losing one to disintegration and reassembling those that did break-up in-situ, I failed to notice that I had the kill markings in the wrong place and unfortunately that is where they're going to stay, however it had a knock on effect with a few other decals' placement, ah well! ce la vie. Just need to apply a couple of coats of Klear, buff it up and get a matt coat on as well as the various little bits and pieces, nearly there.

26975470278_e45c747040_b.jpg

40136902014_c2b3947e65_b.jpg

40136901554_d88a7849b4_b.jpg

As thoroughly enjoyable as the build has been thus far (bar the decals) I'm keen now to wrap it up and move on.

Cheers, M.

• Like 5

This one is looking fantastic Mark and if you hadn't mentioned the decal problems I'm sure we'd be none the wiser as they look fine.

• Thanks 1

Afternoon all,

I have managed to get the Tiffy to a finalised state, I matted everything down to a soft satinyish finish using airbrush applied Winsor & Newton Galeria Acrylic Matt varnish, added the rockets, undercarriage and the whip aerial and some weathering and exhaust staining.

So there you have it not entirely old school as advertised, but what a thoroughly enjoyable build, if as @JOCKNEY suggested a few people have this monogram classic kit in the stash I can heartily recommend it as a mojo restorer or just some fun light modelling relief.....ace kit! 

I'm still working on the Sea Hawk, but thanks for the comments, help, encouragement etc. and thanks to the hosts, great GB!

Here's some pics more in the Gallery.

27009592408_d8a4af9729_b.jpg

27009592888_4ed1c1cda6_b.jpg

40838284302_ddac36326d_b.jpg

Cheers, M.

• Like 5

The GB host would like to thank you for taking part, having fun, keeping us entertained as we followed your progress, sharing some great ideas, and producing a cool model :thumbsup: 

• Thanks 1