Mark's 1/48 Monogram Tiffy

MarkSH

Hi all,

As well as a more modern build in the form of the Trumpeter Hawker Sea Hawk for this GB I will also attempt a second entry. I have seen that quite a few people have been doing 'old school' builds from much loved manufacturers so I thought I'd have a go myself and remembered that I had the old Monogram 1/48 Hawker Typhoon 1B hidden away somewhere and found it eventually.

26293337108_72ddfe24e7_b.jpg

However, something's telling me I may need to source some alternative decals!

26293336748_804dbf2058_b.jpg

Cheers, M.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Had a quick look on Hannants and there's an Aviaeology decal sheet that might come to your rescue Mark. Not a cheap option but if you were to add a couple more Typhoon kits to the stash... :whistle: 

• Like 1

Evening all,

Made a start on the Monogram Typhoon and I have to say its great fun, despite its age and rather dated style the kit fit is really good. When I saw how the control panel, seat and other bits internal to the fuselage ( and there isn't that many!) were fitted I had my doubts about it but actually everything locates accurately and requires a minimum of cement. The wings required a little sanding on the leading edge and I suspect that the underside join between the wing centre section and the fuselage will need a bit of filler but dry fitting suggests the solution is not to force the wing section too far forward.

26433881738_ba02905a55_b.jpg

Painted up the control panel which has some very nice raised detail dials, I very lightly dry brushed vallejo metal colour Aluminium to pick the detail out and then dropped some Humbrol Gloss cote into the dials and dabbed some colour on probably not accurate for placement but it'll be pretty difficult to see in the fuselage.

26433881638_ac49c9f214_b.jpg

I fitted the panel, seat and intake grill/oil cooler. the control panel is heavily shrouded by the fuselage, as I said it'll be difficult to see.

26433881498_f800904594_b.jpg

I added a pin wash of Raw Umber oil to the fuselage sides, floor/control column and wheel wells, all ready to button up.

I have decided to try replicating the markings in CorelDraw and print my own decals and I'm going to use a spare Tamiya pilot figure to sit in the office, so painting him is the next job.

There's not much to the kit but what there is, is well moulded and accurate and as I said great fun.

Cheers, M.

• Like 7

I always remember Monogram kits as having a nice level of detail from a low parts count and good fit, this one seems to be no exception, the Hasegawa kit may have surpassed it for detail but this one still looks to be a worthy option. Was there no pilot figure included?

Col, yes there is a pilot figure in the kit but he appears to be vastly undernourished and diminutive. Conversely the Tamiya figure has had required some liposuction to enable him to sit low enough but the moulding is much better and more representative of a RAF pilot.

• Like 1

Afternoon all,

Not much done today, but did paint the Tamiya pilot figure with blended oils over flat Tamiya base colours.

39608779194_787109b688_b.jpg

Now I can close up the fuselage.

Cheers, M.

• Like 4

Evening all,

Not a great deal done this weekend but I have managed to get the major components together for the Tiffy, I think this coming week I'll spend a little time on the Sea Hawk.

Anyway here's the Typhoon progress;

26473645378_43929bd992_b.jpg

I  have buttoned up the fuselage halves, good fit no filler used as such, just painted some Mr Surfacer 500 along the joins and rubbed it down.

25472749627_e14a3589f7_b.jpg

The join at the bottom between the wing centre section and the fuselage is a little rough but not too bad at all I filled it with squadron putty diluted with Revell contacta cement and rubbed that down also. Its came up quite well, a relief as it was the area of most concern. however to get a decent fit at this point I had to compromise with the join at the Intake/oil cooler which require some filler also

39447877195_d569b1c993_b.jpg

The brown plastic at least lets you see what a mess you've made of it!

25472750137_25f57120de_b.jpg

I fitted the tail planes and again only had to use Mr Surfacer to fill the joins.

Finally I masked both the Canopy and wind shield which I also glued in place, some final detail painting behind the Pilot and I shall fit the canopy as well. Despite calling this an old school build I am going to prime the model with Tamiya rattle can primer prior to brush painting with enamels and that'll at least allow me to get a reasonable finis on the clear part framing....hopefully.

Cheers, M.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, modelling minion said:

Very nice work Mark.

For an old kit it seems to be going together very nicely, and certainly looks like a Typhoon to me.

Thanks, it is good and I'm really enjoying it as I said remarkably little filler is required, excellent fit all round.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments on the pilot figure chaps, I have to say he looks healthier in real life the photos make him look rather jaundiced, possibly something to do with the privations of war.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You've achieved a great fit there mark especially without much  filler, i like your pilot figure great looking character,  I've just spent the best part of an hour dry fitting sanding, and fettling my kit, It'll be fillets of plasticard a plenty i forsee, and a dollop of mr hobby filler to boot

Glynn 

Edited by Hewy
  • Like 1

Evening all,

Flitting from one kit to the other not the most productive way of working, well for me at least. All I've been able to do is prime the Tiffy with Tamiya rattle can primer not much subsequent filling and sanding required so happy with that, looks quite good in the primer though.

26536268768_f51d873608_b.jpg

26536268588_19ec7412a1_b.jpg

26536268418_24291f0717_b.jpg

Cheers, M.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all,

Spent time over the last couple of days getting some brushed colour on the Tiffy, between each thinned coat I'm polishing the paint with some coarse industrial paper hand towels so I can get it reasonably smooth for the next application. lots of touch-ups required around the lighter colours, especially the leading edges, but over all not too unhappy........'bin a long time since I finished a kit with a hairy stick! The spinner and prop on for photos only. The photo shows first coat of Hu.116 Dark Green going on.

39702145015_439265fcaf_b.jpg

The underside paintwork is fairly complete with touch-ups required as per the top surfaces. You can see that I have just painted over the wing lights as someone suggested that they were covered over to protect them during rocket attack sorties, however, I might remove the yellow leading edge stripe from them.

39702144645_e309a42d44_b.jpg

I've also been working on the ordnance in the shape of the rockets, 1 down 15 to go (coz I've got to do the Sea Hawk's as well)

39702144225_c88c62ac2d_b.jpg

Slow progress, but its getting there.

Cheers, M.

• Like 5

Very nice, good job on the ordnance  and brush painted to boot, that's  something I'm going to revisit on a build this year, plastix's  brush painting is an inspiration and i want to see if I'm any better than years ago, when i was terrible by the way