Fw.190A Maintenance Gear

Mike

It's possible you've seen me building a couple of Royal Class Fw.190As, one of which is bereft of engine panels and will have its prop off in a bit of a maintenance thing going on.  It's a desert camo aircraft with tropical filter, but I'm finding very little pictorial evidence of the kind of equipment used for this task.  I've seen some Erks (Luftwaffe equivalent) putting a prop back on using brute force and ignorance without a tail-trestle or hoist, but I belive that was the usual technique.  My Google-Fu has deserted me, and I'm either not searching on the correct terms, or the equipment is still Top Secret.  Can anyone oblige with some evidence for me, so I can scratch build some gear to lend the build a little authenticity? TIA :)

Cheers Jerry... bit grainy, aren't they? :hmmm: I'm also wondering about the accuracy too, as they've got the engine hoist in place with the nose ring still on :hmmm:

Thanks for those Simon :)  I'd seen something similar, but now need to work out where the trestle point is on the side of the Fw.190.  There are a few on the sides of these kits.  A tiny one right by the tail wheel, which I don't reckon is it, a larger plugged one high up on the aft fuselage (my best guess), and another just under the back of the canopy, which seems too far forward.  I did see a pic of a 190 rigged for gun harmonisation, so will go back and have a look at that.

I also found a pic of a 109 having its engine removed by a 3-legged frame, so I'm going to fabricate something along those lines for myself, and dangle the prop off that.  It's a simple tubular frame with steps up one leg, a pulley at the top and a small jib on a chain topping it off.  Shouldn't be too hard to make.  It's about 5m tall judging by the blokes stood around it, with an angle to the vertical of about 30o, so rounding it to the nearest metre, I'm going to cut the lengths to 12.5cm each and take it from there :)

Would they have a bench nearby? :hmmm:

Thanks - I've dropped them a line :) Reckon I've got enough to get on with the A-frame(?), and if I can just drop those jacks into the mix, I'd be happy as Larry :yahoo:

• 2 weeks later...